User Groups

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: User Groups

Post by o11c »

meway wrote:
Crush wrote:The active content developers should now all be committee members.
So I am a committee member?
When was the last time you contributed?
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

like 3-5 days ago, possibly even an hour ago. Just because I didn't submit a patch doesn't mean I did'nt make a graphic that hasn't been used or make a suggestion about something meaning I contributed. Even this topic is a contribution that will lead into further development of how things may work in the future of this project. If you want specifics I made a few graphics that can be useful and have been supporting in a few topics as a developer of this project for several years now I feel that this should be enough.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I am not involved in development, so I can't say who is considered an active content developer and who isn't. In that regard I am just doing what Jenalya tells me.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

meway wrote:
Not all active content developers are committee members, if that was the impression, that was a misunderstanding.
Regarding meway being active, as I already said it's difficult to draw the line between active and inactive devs, and between contributor and developer. But given that meway's latest contribution I'm aware of is from October 2011 (https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... e0687686f0) I tend to see him as inactive. Of course there was some activity in the form of giving advice regarding pixelart and similiar...
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Jenalya wrote:
meway wrote:
Not all active content developers are committee members, if that was the impression, that was a misunderstanding.
Regarding meway being active, as I already said it's difficult to draw the line between active and inactive devs, and between contributor and developer. But given that meway's latest contribution I'm aware of is from October 2011 (https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... e0687686f0) I tend to see him as inactive. Of course there was some activity in the form of giving advice regarding pixelart and similiar...
That was a big ass commit and allot of my time. I try to contribute things when I have a chance and I'm pretty active here on the forums. Just because I didn't apply something to git does not mean I haven't made a contribution. Its not fair that you would say that.
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 8&start=60 (thermin)
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =8&t=17325 (wip mob but still a contribution)
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =8&t=17311 (some new plants that can be used)
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =8&t=17294 (there is a tile in here nobody has used)
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =6&t=17271 (an entire tutorial on setting up a tmwa on a vm on windows)
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 32&t=16302 (tested an event quest specifically at your request)
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 12&t=16295 (an abandon sub-project that may have lead to more contributors; Also I taught many things and everyone that was a part of it worked together effectively just check out the zip)

There was allot of time and effort put into each and every one of these things and I don't appreciate you saying I haven't been active since 2011 based off of one link.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Jenalya wrote:Not all active content developers are committee members, if that was the impression, that was a misunderstanding.
Does that mean that we need another forum group "developers" between contributors and committee members? When that's the case, please send me a PM with the member lists.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

meway wrote: There was allot of time and effort put into each and every one of these things and I don't appreciate you saying I haven't been active since 2011 based off of one link.
I didn't say you were not active. I said I tend not to see you as active developer. You've been very active in posting in the forums, talking in irc, and in starting things, but you rarely get something to the point being actually useable in the game. And what's in the git history is what is being used in the game.
Writing tutorials is surely something that can help the project, but it's not actually developing. If you want to be considered an active developer, get things done. :wink: We're really in need for pixelartists, especially tileset artists, and some of the things you started to work on look really promising! But if you don't finish it, it's useless. :(
So go ahead and create something that gets used in the game, and I'll call you an active developer.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Crush wrote:
Jenalya wrote:Not all active content developers are committee members, if that was the impression, that was a misunderstanding.
Does that mean that we need another forum group "developers" between contributors and committee members? When that's the case, please send me a PM with the member lists.
I don't think we need a separate group. Developers are a special case of contributors, so I don't think it's a problem to have them in the same group. That solves the problem to define a clear line between being a contributor and becoming a developer, and keeping a group up-to-date about how active someone is.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Jenalya wrote:
meway wrote: There was allot of time and effort put into each and every one of these things and I don't appreciate you saying I haven't been active since 2011 based off of one link.
I didn't say you were not active. I said I tend not to see you as active developer. You've been very active in posting in the forums, talking in irc, and in starting things, but you rarely get something to the point being actually useable in the game. And what's in the git history is what is being used in the game.
Writing tutorials is surely something that can help the project, but it's not actually developing. If you want to be considered an active developer, get things done. :wink: We're really in need for pixelartists, especially tileset artists, and some of the things you started to work on look really promising! But if you don't finish it, it's useless. :(
So go ahead and create something that gets used in the game, and I'll call you an active developer.
Who would you consider your most active graphic pixelartists?

https://github.com/Meway/tmwa-server-data
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

:arrow: Error 404 "This is not the page you are looking for"
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Github was having issues yesterday and I only made one commit to it. So I removed it due to people on irc and the usual "your doing it wrong". lol But I will provide a link that works soon I hope.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

I cannot understand why TMW Adviser group have now a so big power on forum users: Especially I don't see why they should have a moderation ability in most forums (all tmwAthena server development!?)but especially Court House (Abuse Forum) and GM Community Suggestions. It looks like advisors are much more than:
TMW Committee wrote:TMWC Advisors are those contributors or GHP members that have stepped away from the game or development, yet offer insight, advice and/or periodic assistance with game decisions and development, while not directly taking decisions.
Also after these posts:
Bjorn wrote:The Mana project was split off from the TMW project back in 2009, with the goal of continuing development of the client and server software, which were until then developed as part of The Mana World. In doing so it enables other games to be based on the same platform.
and:
o11c wrote:Recent discussions have made it quite clear that the people working on Mana - currently our official client - do not care at all about support for the tmwa server. [...]
and considering that manasource is no more active in TMW (content, client and server) development and that there is no common platform, I think it would be better for both projects if they had separated forums: It would avoid to TMW players to be confused with activities in both projects (The Questlog... but how? for example) and avoid manasource developers to have to seek among dizains of posts to retrieve useful information. Information about other projects like "source of tales" can be posted in Player talk as information about other servers are. The last, but not the least: It would make the description of TMW project a lot easier in a "marketing" point of view.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

Nard wrote: and avoid manasource developers to have to seek among dizains of posts to retrieve useful information
Well we simply only search in the one forum. So I do not see any issue here.

Regards,
Ablu
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Ablu wrote:
Nard wrote: and avoid manasource developers to have to seek among dizains of posts to retrieve useful information
Well we simply only search in the one forum. So I do not see any issue here.
But other people can see. "View new posts" will be spammed with unrelated things.
But decision about forum was before any public conversation :(

May be this forum should be hidden from search and last messages page?
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

The whole point of ManaSource being on our forums is so that we *can* see what they're doing.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.