Petition for a Global chat channel

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Do you want a Global chat channel?

Yes
42%
No
46%
Maybe
12%

Total votes: 26
Kestrel
Peon
Peon

Petition for a Global chat channel

Post by Kestrel »

I think having a global chat would be a big improvement to TMW.
You wouldn't have to be in hurnscald just to have a chat with everybody and new players could ask for advice easily as well.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Re: Petition for a Global chat channel

Post by Reid »

A dead fork of tmw made a global channel some years ago, the game community was <20 so it was ok but with a higher number of online player like on tmw, it can cause some trouble.
A good way to implement it would be to add some kind of limitations on what and how the player can send, like one message every x amount of seconds and/or a minimum level to send a message to this channel.
I've seen some games using these limitations and the global chat wasn't a big mess, so it could be a good idea to implement it.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Sanity
Peon
Peon

Post by Sanity »

I agree. This is an absolutely necessary feature.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

I dont like the idea. It would either require alot of server end rules or alot of GM moderation. The few games that I've played with it are basically cluster f*cks of pointless and annoying chatter. TMW would have tons of trade spam and random language intersperced among silly chatter. Last I checked this game was a role playing game, and while alot of people dont actually role play, I know of several that only role play. A feature like this breaks the roleplay ability. My thought is that you can either hang out in hurns to chat, use whispers or create a party or guild.

BC
sexy red bearded GM
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Why not a default party or guild for new players? You can quit any time..
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

MadCamel wrote:Why not a default party or guild for new players? You can quit any time..
thats not a bad idea actually
sexy red bearded GM
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

When I implement chat channels, it would be easy enough to have one for new users.

Features have to wait until I'm done with bugs and cleanup. There is some documentation work that could be done by anyone, but everyone quits after at most only a few pages; there are hundreds more to be done ... and then they complains about the lack of documentation and features.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

for global chat client can use /announce or @broadcast.
But it will move all gm/npc messages with name to global chat.
Kestrel
Peon
Peon

Post by Kestrel »

Big Crunch wrote:I dont like the idea. It would either require alot of server end rules or alot of GM moderation. The few games that I've played with it are basically cluster f*cks of pointless and annoying chatter. TMW would have tons of trade spam and random language intersperced among silly chatter. Last I checked this game was a role playing game, and while alot of people dont actually role play, I know of several that only role play. A feature like this breaks the roleplay ability. My thought is that you can either hang out in hurns to chat, use whispers or create a party or guild.

BC
Hurns chat is already filled with pointless, annoying chatter and trade spam, so having all of that on a separate chat tab shouldn't make moderation anymore difficult than it is now.
Roleplaying relies on suspending your disbelief in order to work, if you can honestly deal with all the non-roleplayers and chatter as it is right now, then ignoring a chat tab wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
MadCamel wrote:Why not a default party or guild for new players? You can quit any time..
If there was a default party/guild then why would you ever want to leave from it? You'd just end up cutting yourself off from the rest of the players.
Guilds and parties are supposed to be like exclusive private clubs, so they should be reserved for such use only.

The point behind this idea is to bring the community together. MMORPGs are social games after all, so we should prioritize making communication easier between players.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

I kind of like the idea of a beginners guild, but i think it should be moderated by GM's, not sure that they are willing to get even more work to handle.

But it would be useful for people to be able to ask things there when no-one else is around, and that quite often is the case when in tulishmar in the start even if a few older players show up there and try to help as many as possible.

It would be nice if they got excluded from the beginners guild at say lvl 30/35 when they have learned the basics. Maybe they should recive a message with a link to the guilds-page on the wiki or just a suggestion to join one of the established guilds.

The pros as i see it is:
The new ones realize that guilds are a part of this game and might be more prone to join one of the existing ones early.
The social aspect of this game is brought to them early on.
Easier to find others to form a party for xp sharing etc.
A lot more easy to find people to ask questions.

The cons:
It should be moderated and preferably someone with great knowledge of the game should be there (GM's fit the role but already have their share of work, and i am not sure if you can be member of two guilds. It would be unfair to kick them out of their current guilds)
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

You can't be a member of two guilds, but you could join two channels once that is implemented. Guilds will probably go away once channels implement access control.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Sanity
Peon
Peon

Post by Sanity »

o11c wrote:Guilds will probably go away once channels implement access control.
Why do guilds have to go away? I'm sure there can be a lot of functions for them.
Avenn
Novice
Novice

Post by Avenn »

I voted suprise NO :evil:
now why :
if you want "global chat" then you go and sit in town :P
and i think that global chat tab could be a little mess, so we need one more person to watch and moderate it, so one more job for GM's.
Someone once said to me between the lines " You are unwanted here anymore, you are rude, arogant, ignorant, stupid, annoying and worthless person."
And all i can say about it Yes i might be... but that doesnt matter i dont have other feelings different from almighty hate and anger... but in the end its pointless to explain myself.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

If we do add the global chat channel, we can have it live streamed on the site.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Jaxad0127 wrote:If we do add the global chat channel, we can have it live streamed on the site.
Or...just link to 4chan. :alt-0:
Last edited by Frost on 24 May 2013, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown