More dynamic/active combat

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Len
Knight
Knight

More dynamic/active combat

Post by Len »

The game needs more active combat, as auto attacking and maybe a little kiting every now and then isn't all that thrilling. I've also never really felt much strategy was needed in TMW, or that monsters are much of a threat for the most part. I might be dreaming here but it would be awesome if monsters could support each other, in much the same way players do. You could have tanky mobs that will get up close and personal and attempt to keep you away from their support, the support mobs will attempt to kite you and attack from afar.
Pixel Battalion
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: More dynamic/active combat

Post by o11c »

Mob AI is the only part of the server I *don't* feel comfortable with ...
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

This would be really great! I agree, combat needs more depth.
Even without code changes, I think this is possible in a limited way with spawns.

In spawn parties, I sometimes try to combine monsters in ways that mimic a combined team. For example, zombies for close combat, lady skeletons for longer range (2), ice elements to kill archers, snakes to dodge mêlée attacks, etc.
The Luvia battles combine spawns also: Bandits (melee) and Bandit Lords (range 5); Demonic Spirit (weaker melee swarms), Witch Guards (range 2), Luvia (range 5).
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

For Manaserv I am close to implement a more active combat system and remove the autoattack one. We plan to use movement via wasd there. Clicking the mouse or pressing shortcut buttons do trigger abilities. Those abilities are either basic strike attacks, special moves or magic spells. The plan is to make the player actively choosing in which direction / which target to attack and starting every single attack/ability themselves. So clicking somewhere on the screen will make the player starting a strike into that direction or firering an arrow into it.

Regards,
Ablu