re: Bulk Email from tmw.net

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Should TMWC be allowed to send out one (1) bulk email?

Poll ended at 30 May 2013, 20:12

Yes
58%
No
43%

Total votes: 40
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

re: Bulk Email from tmw.net

Post by Big Crunch »

To avoid confusion, TMWC and Advisors would like to stress that themanaworld.org is not the same as, nor is affiliated with, themanaworld.net. TMWC and Advisors do not condone bulk emails, however I am requesting feedback on sending out one round of emails to stress this point and inform forum members of this point. After this, or if consensus is against sending even one, we will disable admin bulk emails for all existing users and try to disable them for new accounts.

I have asked that this thread be strictly moderated, so please remain on topic, but don't hesitate to post a simple yes / no, or feel free to go into as much detail as you wish. After 5 days I will ask that this topic and poll be locked, so please answer within that time frame.

BC
Last edited by Jaxad0127 on 09 Jun 2013, 14:05, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Unsticky.
sexy red bearded GM
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: re: Bulk Email from tmw.net

Post by o11c »

At first I thought "we should not be like you-know-who", but after I observed a number of people appearing, confused by it, I must reluctantly agree that is is valid as an anti-scam measure.

On a technical note, I am confident that we can disable the admin-spam feature for all existing users, but I am still not sure if there is a way to disable it for newly created users.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

If you don't want to receive the email from us (assuming we in fact send it), you can disable email from administrators in the Board Preferences section of your User Control Panel. We'll most likely disable it for all current member after the email is sent (or not sent).
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Stuff the message should include:
  • An apology for the spam
  • , and the statement that we will be disabling the feature
  • , and an acknowledgment that we replying to the email will fail, because we never intended for it to be used.
  • A strongly-worded statement that we are not associated with themanaworld.net. Should we mention that The Mana World has been around for about 9 years (depending on how you count it), but .net has only been around for 2 months?
  • A way to get in contact with us - IRC or the forums.
Obviously, the "strongly-worded statement" is the tough one. How much information should be provided there? My instinct is always for completeness, but brevity might serve us better.
Sanity
Peon
Peon

Post by Sanity »

I voted yes, but I have a gut feeling that this might not be the best idea in the world. :?
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Sanity wrote:I voted yes, but I have a gut feeling that this might not be the best idea in the world. :?
That's why we are bringing it to the people. I think a reminder that we will not take such action and are not affiliated with the server that did send out the spam would be a one time exception and hopefully repair some of the damage the .net server caused.
sexy red bearded GM
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

Spam is to be ignored.
You don't answer to spam neither should you answer to this spam nor apologize for what you didn't cause.

Voted No.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

tux9th wrote:Spam is to be ignored.
You don't answer to spam neither should you answer to this spam nor apologize for what you didn't cause.

Voted No.
Agreed, but this is not just spam, it's scamming.

There's no "nice" way to disable it for new accounts, so I've made the following change to includes/functions_user.php:

Code: Select all

'user_allow_pm'                 => 1,
                'user_allow_viewonline' => 1,
                'user_allow_viewemail'  => 1,
// BEGIN TMW customization: disable admin spam
                'user_allow_massemail'  => 0,
// END TMW customization: disable admin spam

'user_sig'                                      => '',
                'user_sig_bbcode_uid'           => '',
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Voted yes. I agree with Sanity, that this is not the best idea, but it is an idea. There must be an information about this situation and that this is the original server ( + proof). If the people fell for you-know-who's mail, then they will most likely also read this mail. o11c described the right way.

Edit: Grammar...
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

At http://forums.themanaworld.net we have a nice HOWTO set your profile to not receive any emails. ;-)
At least someone with admin/mod powers on forums should know how PHPBB User CP works. ;) *Sigh* if you made an unauthorized copy for the files at least learn how to handle it in proper way.

Regards.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

tux9th wrote:Spam is to be ignored.

Voted No.
Voted no as well, for the same reasons.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

Hi,

I did not vote because my opinion is not present in both options: I think that TMWC should be allow to send admin messages when they feel that they make sense (Though I would mail all ingame accounts instead of forum accounts only). (Disabling the admin mail settings by default for new users makes sense to me anyway). Though I do not agree to do this as response to Platynas last mail (even if it is kind of misleading). I would trust that people are not silly. (And I am fine to loose the silly people to that server).

Regards,
Ablu
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

o11c wrote:Stuff the message should include:
  • An apology for the spam
  • , and the statement that we will be disabling the feature
  • , and an acknowledgment that we replying to the email will fail, because we never intended for it to be used.
  • A strongly-worded statement that we are not associated with themanaworld.net. Should we mention that The Mana World has been around for about 9 years (depending on how you count it), but .net has only been around for 2 months?
  • A way to get in contact with us - IRC or the forums.
Obviously, the "strongly-worded statement" is the tough one. How much information should be provided there? My instinct is always for completeness, but brevity might serve us better.
Include an alert to change all passwords for security reasons as that information may have been compromised during the move.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

You can fight all you want here, in game and on IRC, just please don't do that in my mailbox, voted no.

TMW Team member

Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

also voted no, wars are bad enough on the forum and game we don't need it through email as well even if its just 1 email it takes two parties to argue.

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.