Amending GM Approval Rules

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Amending GM Approval Rules

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Frost wrote:
Jaxad0127 wrote:I think with the additional option, approval should be changed to greater than 50% of all votes, at least 3 times as many yes as no. So 11 yes, 3 no, 6 undecided would pass (Assuming 20 is the new threshold).
Holy complications, Batman!

As I understand it, the "undecided" option would be a hack to let people retract their yes/no vote. Those who wish to not vote either way can already...not vote either way.
Why would we count votes that were retracted?
It's not much more complicated than the current rules, but yeah, ignoring the undecided votes would be best. 20 (or w/e) yes, at least 3 time as many of them as no. Just like the current rules (except 20 instead of 60).
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Frost wrote:Those who wish to not vote either way can already...not vote either way.
Those who want to say they cannot decide between yes or no cannot say it this is different from not voting.

Reference: Mean online char max number over month . To be approved, the candidate must get 60% yes (or any number you find convenient). At this moment it should make about 62*0.6= 37 (or 38)
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Tiana
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Tiana »

I've been following this thread since it started and now I am staring to get a :alt-2: look on my face...

The guidelines for nominating and electing GMs are actually quite solid for this game. The only things that should be modified at this time are the amount of votes needed (60 is too much, I would completely agree with 40-45), and a few minor terminology changes (the proposed GHP to TMWC changed). The only other change I would agree on is a length of time a poll can run - 4 months seems reasonable based on past results. I would stay the same with the minimum number of forum posts needed to vote - lowering the amount of total votes needed should help with this concern.

All this other stuff is in my opinion unnecessary for the process. Folks can vote, then can state their opinions if they wish, they can change their votes up until the poll is closed.

As to the concern of *cheating* - the forum moderators can check to see if multiple voters come from the same IP. Frankly at this point we know what players DO come from the same IP, so if they check and see some new ones then they can inquire.

Please, lets just keep with the KISS principle here. There is no need to make things more complicated.
Tiana - former GM of TMW
Forum avatar designed for me by my dear friend skipy
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Tiana wrote:As to the concern of *cheating* - the forum moderators can check to see if multiple voters come from the same IP. Frankly at this point we know what players DO come from the same IP, so if they check and see some new ones then they can inquire.

Please, lets just keep with the KISS principle here. There is no need to make things more complicated.
Tiana, google the word "Proxy" ... :(
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Tiana
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Tiana »

I understand the concept of "proxy". The community voting portion is only part of the process though, they still have to pass the TMWC approval process.

Remember, KISS... :*
Tiana - former GM of TMW
Forum avatar designed for me by my dear friend skipy
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Are these changes still going to happen? It seems most people are in favour of changing these rules.

TMW Team member

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I made an internal poll among the tmw committee members about the changes described in the first post with the quorum changed from 20 to 40 votes. Currently the feedback is mostly positive, but we will give it a bit more time until everyone had a chance to give their input.

About the other proposals made in this thread: I either don't support them so I won't start a poll about them (someone else could do that though), or I don't feel they were already discussed enough to vote about them.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Crush wrote:I made an internal poll among the tmw committee members about the changes described in the first post with the quorum changed from 20 to 40 votes. Currently the feedback is mostly positive, but we will give it a bit more time until everyone had a chance to give their input.

About the other proposals made in this thread: I either don't support them so I won't start a poll about them (someone else could do that though), or I don't feel they were already discussed enough to vote about them.
Thank you. I just wanted to make sure the topic was still being discussed. :)

TMW Team member

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The TMW committee decided to change the GM nomination rules. The first two rules were removed as unnecessary and the quorum was reduced to 45 votes.

Discussions about this decision can be made in the news thread linked above. You can use the current topic for discussing other proposals for rule changes.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.