Relocate Spawn/PVP/KTGM Events

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Where should spawn/pvp/ktgm events be?

Hurnscald
58%
Nivalis
4%
Event-only map
23%
Some other existing place
15%

Total votes: 26
ItchyDemon
Newly Registered User

Relocate Spawn/PVP/KTGM Events

Post by ItchyDemon »

ItchyDemon wrote:Spawn Parties, PVP Parties, and Kill The GM events are great for those of us who wish to participate, but they're more of a curse to those of us who are otherwise engaged. It is more of a curse to low-levels who are simply questing or trying to get to a shop and are caught off guard. I've seen several complaints of this in-game from low-levels (myself included) who were forced to lay dead until it was over when we were trying to do stuff.

To keep everyone happy, I'd suggest moving these events out of Hurnscald -- preferably somewhere that's easy to get to, yet out of the way of quests and shops needed by low-levels. Three suggestions are:
  1. Far to the west of Hurnscald (Map 014-1.tmx): This area can easily be walked to. The downside is the lack a Soul Menhir.
  2. Nivalis: There aren't many quests here, and most newbies stay near Hurnscald or Tulimshar. The downside is paying 1k to get to and from, but most people who would want to participate would not notice a major dent in their wallets.
  3. One of the desert areas (or possibly the sewers) near Tulimshar. Downside include both of the above.
Above is the original post that started this thread. Instead of spamming another thread into existence, I decided to edit this one into a poll.

The purpose is to see whether we should keep these events in Hurnscald, or move them elsewhere to avoid bothering the low-levels and the (semi-)veterans that don't wish to participate. IMO it doesn't seem friendly to "force" people to participate, especially the newbies. Sometimes, people may wish to participate, but if they're doing a quest that requires them to visit Hurnscald, or need to visit a shop in Hurnscald, why should they get killed ten times before they get where they need to go?

If enough people support the event-only map option to get the devs to create one, it could be possible to have an NPC teleport us there, perhaps either Dyrin the Traveler or a new NPC in or near Hurnscald that activates shortly before the event.

Edit: Enabling revoting at Tux's advice.
Last edited by ItchyDemon on 19 Sep 2013, 21:28, edited 3 times in total.
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Relocate Spawn/PVP/KTGM Events

Post by melkior »

I've been experimenting with spawn parties and Kill the GM events in different places. And I've noticed one thing: the turnout was low compared to how many people participate when they're done in Hurnscald.

I think I said just the other day in a different thread that as a player, I'm not a huge fan of spawn parties being done in town. But that being said, most of players want them there. They're convenient, if you die, you're back in business in a second, due to the Soul Menhir, and everyone knows how to get there.
ItchyDemon wrote:
  1. Far to the west of Hurnscald (Map 014-1.tmx): This area can easily be walked to. The downside is the lack a Soul Menhir.
  2. Nivalis: There aren't many quests here, and most newbies stay near Hurnscald or Tulimshar. The downside is paying 1k to get to and from, but most people who would want to participate would not notice a major dent in their wallets.
  3. One of the desert areas (or possibly the sewers) near Tulimshar. Downside include both of the above.
014-1 is a map which is usually visited by lower level players. Spawn parties there would interrupt their gameplay.
Anything close to Tulimshar is a bad idea because newbie players could easily walk into a spawn party, decide that this game is insane and leave.
Nivalis, like you said, players would have to pay for it. And again, newbie players could walk in on a party.

Hurnscald seems to be the perfect location. Almost all of the players use it as a respawn point. It doesn't cost them anything to get there (they can easily suicide back), and no one is really playing there (farming, leveling, whatever). There are plenty of houses where you can hide.

Finally, I think any suggestion like this should be accompanied by a poll, to reflect the wishes of the whole community, not just those of a single player.
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

ItchyDemon wrote:[...]It is more of a curse to low-levels who are simply questing or trying to get to a shop and are caught off guard. I've seen several complaints of this in-game from low-levels (myself included) who were forced to lay dead until it was over when we were trying to do stuff.[...]
I play spawn parties with a low-level archer to get valuable and easy exp from it. I'm not so different from a newbie since I die in one hit during it... What I mean is that i've never had any problem to enter a shop during it, even if I die with a single hit... I don't think you're forced to lay dead until the end since you can easily go into shops or go outside Hurnscald without any problems if you don't fight. Sometimes you die, of course, but as you're really close to the menhir...
ItchyDemon wrote:[...]To keep everyone happy, I'd suggest moving these events out of Hurnscald -- preferably somewhere that's easy to get to, yet out of the way of quests and shops needed by low-levels.[...]
The good thing about Hurnscald is that most of players are here and you don't have to walk thanks to the menhir. Even when the event is close, like near the Evil Obelisk for example, it's seriously annyoning to do the way everytime you die (and you die a lot).
Personnally, i've missed many events even when they took place in Hurnscald. If they are located in another place, for sure i won't notice it. And you can easily miss general annoucements if you don't keep chat tab open, or if you often switch char.

Maybe a solution would be to create a specific location for events, free travelling and with a menhir ? But I wonder if it's worth the work creating it...
ItchyDemon
Newly Registered User

Post by ItchyDemon »

Kazenawa wrote:I play spawn parties with a low-level archer to get valuable and easy exp from it. I'm not so different from a newbie since I die in one hit during it... What I mean is that i've never had any problem to enter a shop during it, even if I die with a single hit... I don't think you're forced to lay dead until the end since you can easily go into shops or go outside Hurnscald without any problems if you don't fight. Sometimes you die, of course, but as you're really close to the menhir...
I've had a couple times where I was stuck for ten minutes during the transintion from spawn to PVP: loads of undeads right on top of the Soul Menhir followed by high-levels killing me within a second after I try to revive.
Kazenawa wrote:The good thing about Hurnscald is that most of players are here and you don't have to walk thanks to the menhir. Even when the event is close, like near the Evil Obelisk for example, it's seriously annyoning to do the way everytime you die (and you die a lot).
Personnally, i've missed many events even when they took place in Hurnscald. If they are located in another place, for sure i won't notice it. And you can easily miss general annoucements if you don't keep chat tab open, or if you often switch char.
Ever wander why the game makes a sound when there's a global announcement? And it wouldn't hurt for the GM hosting it to make a triple announcement starting at least 15 minutes early :alt-6:
Kazenawa wrote:Maybe a solution would be to create a specific location for events, free travelling and with a menhir ? But I wonder if it's worth the work creating it...
IMO it would be, however I'm sure the devs have more important bugs to fix :alt-9:
melkior wrote:Finally, I think any suggestion like this should be accompanied by a poll, to reflect the wishes of the whole community, not just those of a single player.
I thought I needed at least 20 forum posts to do a poll?
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Do you think all spawn parties and such should be announced globally?
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

Kazenawa wrote: Maybe a solution would be to create a specific location for events, free travelling and with a menhir ? But I wonder if it's worth the work creating it...
If people vote for that solution, this could easily be arranged.
ItchyDemon wrote:I thought I needed at least 20 forum posts to do a poll?
This is for GM votes. In other votes you should be able to vote sooner.
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

ItchyDemon wrote:I've had a couple times where I was stuck for ten minutes during the transintion from spawn to PVP: loads of undeads right on top of the Soul Menhir followed by high-levels killing me within a second after I try to revive.
Hum I agree that's a bit difficult sometimes. With stacked monsters when there aren't enough players around, or when PvPers are eagling near the menhir... In that case it could be a bit boring for players who don't wanna join the party.
ItchyDemon wrote:Ever wander why the game makes a sound when there's a global announcement? And it wouldn't hurt for the GM hosting it to make a triple announcement starting at least 15 minutes early :alt-6:
Actually I don't play with the sound, maybe I should at least enable sound effects... :oops:
Frost wrote:Do you think all spawn parties and such should be announced globally?
In my opinion quite more players would join the fun. And I don't see anything wrong in it ?
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Kazenawa wrote:
Frost wrote:Do you think all spawn parties and such should be announced globally?
In my opinion quite more players would join the fun. And I don't see anything wrong in it ?
It's not wrong. I just wouldn't do more "surprise" spawn parties like filling the inn, or spawning cute things in town and then "punishing" people who kill them by spawning undeads, or occasionally griefing people in Candor with zombies 2 minutes before the battle starts. It wouldn't be quite the same to broadcast "there are cute things near Sagatha. If you kill them, I will spawn undeads."

I honestly just want to give people fun. If what I'm doing isn't working, then I'll change it.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

Frost wrote:It's not wrong. I just wouldn't do more "surprise" spawn parties like filling the inn, or spawning cute things in town and then "punishing" people who kill them by spawning undeads, or occasionally griefing people in Candor with zombies 2 minutes before the battle starts. It wouldn't be quite the same to broadcast "there are cute things near Sagatha. If you kill them, I will spawn undeads."
To be tasty, a surprise should remain secret... :) In such situations, I agree that general announcements would fade the produced effect.
Frost wrote:I honestly just want to give people fun. If what I'm doing isn't working, then I'll change it.
To such wise sentence should follow a poll to know everyone's opinion. I personnally love unexpected fun, that's way better unpredicted :D
ItchyDemon
Newly Registered User

Post by ItchyDemon »

I edited this thread into a poll. Just bumping the thread into "unread-for-those-who-read-it" status to encourage people to re-open it and see the poll :alt-7:
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

you should enable revoting.
thanks for the poll

with best regards
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

Historically, Hurnscald has been the "capital" of TMW, most people in game use its menhir as savepoint and hence events works best there. Though it can make sense to conduct events north or south of city on map around Hurnscald. As for me I'm okay with getting killed 1-2 times a day on AFK if this adds more fun in game. But of course there should be some sane limits (so far GMs seems to have enough common sense and it not annoys me too much).

Other locations are far away and getting killed here would require enough time to go back or some uncommon extra actions to save your location in some relatively nearby location. Needless to say it would not work well for this reason. Though I can imagine there could be "safe" map where spawns are completely prohibited and GMs avoid events here. Maybe some of Hurns buildings like bank? Though I can admit it's fun to go bank and face some zombies attack instead :mrgreen:.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

I find events work better when theyre north of hurnscald right above the town. There has been many events hosted there and plenty of people have shown up. This allows the players who don't want to participate to have the option of staying in town to talk to friends without Lag or being killed constantly.

There is more of a show up because there are more people sitting in town afk than there is at spawn parties else where.

regards,
Chicka
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

What if the Event only map was Warpable from Hurnscald and could be a couple different Mini-Maps? (1-4)
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

t3st3r wrote:Historically, Hurnscald has been the "capital" of TMW
Historically, Tulimshar was the capital of TMW. That was until the hurnscald mines and the graveyard were made.

The players always flock around the best level areas. When the content people would create a better leveling area somewhere else, people would soon migrate there.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.