add overdose effect to con and iron potions

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

bell chick
Novice
Novice

add overdose effect to con and iron potions

Post by bell chick »

ive been thinking seems to me potions are one major cause for imbalance in this game. weapons like banshee appear just slightly stronger than conventional weapons without potions. add potions in and the banshee becomes a full auto bazooka. my proposal is to have some deterrent to potions. im thinking a random chance of instant death that goes up as more potions are used consecutively. i already found from o11c the coding is indeed very possible so looking for opinions. feel free to suggest other ways to balance potions as well if you have a better idea
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: add overdose effect to con and iron potions

Post by o11c »

Implementation sketch (read backwards):

on use, if @squeamishness > current tick + something, chance of bad effect

if @squeamishness is in hte past, set ot to current tick

on use, set @ssqueamishness = @squeamishness + potion importance

I do suggest just one overdose var for all potions, but do something to make sure that it's safe to use iron+conc together at least once.

I do not suggest overdoses for any healing items ... except maybe if they're used when the player already has full HP, but that's not central.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
straelyn
Novice
Novice

Post by straelyn »

You have to realize, that even with a strong attack build, a constant supply of potions, levelling up at like 40k/minute (tops; usually it's more like 25-30), getting a few million experience points in a few hours (per day), it'll still take my level 96 rager like a month to level up. I wouldn't call that unbalanced. If anything, it's extremely slow and boring. I can look forward to a 30% higher experience requirement at the next level, with no higher mobs (which is how the game has been since I started levelling up in the graveyard, 36 levels ago.
If I were going to change anything with potions, I'd change the wait period for healing item effects. That always sort of annoyed me.
end of line.
pclouds
Peon
Peon

Post by pclouds »

Death is too intense. Maybe just poison the user occasionally first, then kill them if overdose continues.
You either live long enough to be a GM, or die a Troll Master
Slimor
Peon
Peon

Post by Slimor »

my idea would be, that the potions raises strength, speed etc. but decrease the healing-rate
so you have a plus effect and also a minus effect
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

Slimor wrote:my idea would be, that the potions raises strength, speed etc. but decrease the healing-rate
so you have a plus effect and also a minus effect
not really enough considering the huge advantage it gives to banshee users
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

straelyn wrote:You have to realize, that even with a strong attack build, a constant supply of potions, levelling up at like 40k/minute (tops; usually it's more like 25-30), getting a few million experience points in a few hours (per day), it'll still take my level 96 rager like a month to level up. I wouldn't call that unbalanced. If anything, it's extremely slow and boring. I can look forward to a 30% higher experience requirement at the next level, with no higher mobs (which is how the game has been since I started levelling up in the graveyard, 36 levels ago.
If I were going to change anything with potions, I'd change the wait period for healing item effects. That always sort of annoyed me.
so instead of giving disadvantages and making the game harder taking away the complete dominance banshee users have you want banshees to be able to heal instantly makng them literal gods?
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

pclouds wrote:Death is too intense. Maybe just poison the user occasionally first, then kill them if overdose continues.
im fine with this. id be even fine with only poison and never death as thatd basically be death or at minimal slow a banshee down creating the balance this bow intended
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

bell chick wrote:ive been thinking seems to me potions are one major cause for imbalance in this game. weapons like banshee appear just slightly stronger than conventional weapons without potions. add potions in and the banshee becomes a full auto bazooka.
Exactly! Also there're terranite arrows (extra powerup, exclusive to archers) - this makes things even worse. Sure, it costs. But some players have millions of GPs and can keep it for hours or days. Then, nobody grinds slimes in such setup. But everyone equips best setup on events, etc. So it still could be balancing issue. Then, with all powerups combined, speed-optimized aggressive banshee setup appears to outshot anyone else a lot. Mages have no powerups. Warriors cant use terra arrows and unable to use extreme speed+damage optimized setups with bad defence, if they're about to face strong monsters. Example: in candor potioned speed banshee kills jacks about several times faster than any mage or rage warrior.
my proposal is to have some deterrent to potions. im thinking a random chance of instant death that goes up as more potions are used consecutively. i already found from o11c the coding is indeed very possible so looking for opinions. feel free to suggest other ways to balance potions as well if you have a better idea
The obvious caveat here I can see is that it could also hurt warriors which are NOT overpowered IMHO. At least in "common", "playable" setups used by players. There're some corner cases like speed optimized slimes grinders. etc where warrior could abandon def in favour of better/faster damage. But after all, even mages with their crappy grinding can hit respawn rate limits on long run, so IMO this case is not as bad as it could look like. Maybe potions should just cause smaller effect on ranged shooting with banshee? (though I can imagine amounts of players swearing if it happens - all those who used banshee to be over others would be really pissed off :roll:).