Partyplay/Playerbound/GiantMobs

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

OnymA
Novice
Novice

Partyplay/Playerbound/GiantMobs

Post by OnymA »

inspired by "Solo playing" viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17845

PARTYBUFF
There could be exclusiv party skills which would only work if atleast 2 players are active playing on the same map in close range or fighting the same monster (in a party)

depending on the amount of players there could be for example different bonus effects which could stack like:

(numbers are just made up)
2players= lvl1 ExpBonus = 1.2xExp
3players= lvl1 DropBonus = 1.2x Droprate
4players= lvl1 DamageBonus = 5% bonus damage
5players= lvl1 HP/MP Bonus = 8% HP/MP or regain
6players= lvl1 Attack-SpeedBonus = 5% increase of attack speed

7players= lvl2 ExpBonus = 1,5xExp
"and so on
"...
"...
so that in the end even if you had a for example 5 lvl 90+ players an additional person for example a lvl 50 would still be attractiv to play with because of the bonus effects

PLAYERBOUND DROPS
also the droprate of monsters should be increased depending on the amount of players fighting it, and every drop should be "playerbound", so killstealing would be impossible and also again teaming up would be more and more attractiv (for example playerA and playerB fight a skeleton , both should do atleast damage like 5-25%[?] of the max hp to get a "playerbound" drop.
the skeleton would drop 2 bones instead of 1 if any at all, but both items would be "playerbound" and could not be picked up by any player/s except those who fought it , one for PlayerA and one for PlayerB and would stay playerbound until they vanish or are picked up

G I A N T M O O O N S T E R S
There could be more party exclusiv maps, which would be enterable by everyone, but monster could have insane amounts of hp and would be giant like a building, would love GIANTBATS dropping 100 batwings at once or GIANT SEA SLIMES dropping 20 pearls <3

GIANT JACKO could be an ultimate difficult PartyQuestBoss
*wool producing*
SnackDay
Newly Registered User

Re: Partyplay/Playerbound/GiantMobs

Post by SnackDay »

i like this part
G I A N T M O O O N S T E R S
There could be more party exclusiv maps, which would be enterable by everyone, but monster could have insane amounts of hp and would be giant like a building, would love GIANTBATS dropping 100 batwings at once or GIANT SEA SLIMES dropping 20 pearls <3

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Those are some interesting ideas about partying ...

Drops definitely do need to be changed, and is probably possible long before any of your other ideas. It's possible in server code to bind a drop to anyone - or even put it directly in their inventory instead of leaving it on the ground.

For various reasons, I don't suggest actually dropping two bones at once, but rather just increasing the general drop rate. Probably not as much as the exp rate. Of course, ease-of-implementation overrides all ...

The server remembers, for each player, the amount of damage they did. In combination with the monsters max HP, that can be interpreted.

Given the list of player damage percentages and the list of item drop percentages, what should be the formula for rewards? Remember that each actually dropped item needs a primary player (who can get it immediately), a secondary player (who can get it after 20 seconds), and a tertiary player (who can get it after 40 seconds).

I have doubts about the feasibility of the giant monster thing, but it sounds like a great quest idea for tmwa-adventures (that would be limited to 4 players though).
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
OnymA
Novice
Novice

Post by OnymA »

About drops:

for example

playerA: tank warrior lvl 80
playerB: speed archer lvl 70

situation:
playerA = solo tank runs forward, aggroing 3mobs (3 skeletons) on the current most popular map/ graveyard by his presence using now and then Chickenlegs to recover hp , slowly doing tiny damage. he is trying to farm items for a quest.

playerB, an archer appears in the tall grass x)
doing much more damage, yes he is fragile but quick and also can heal himself and others by using magic.

playerA takes all damage, attacks
playerB attacks
skeleton1 dies: drops nothing

playerA uses chicken leg, attacks
playerB sees healing bubbles, heals playerA (gains healing exp), returns to shoot skeletons

skeleton2 dies: drops bone
playerA tries picking up, but the item belongs to someone else, keeps attacking
playerB picks up bone, attacks

skeleton3 dies: drops dark crystal
playerA tries picking up, but the item belongs to someone else,
stops,
is thinking,
left behind slow,
hurt,
unrewarded
and with a chickenleg less. xD

playerB picks up dark crystal, hopps away with it in peace...

in this situation the archer would get all drops, with less effort and more advantages, because he does more damage is quicker.

if id be the warrior i would think, "wow i will switch to archer too", but "playerA" might enjoy playing a warrior much more even if he is doing less damage, but he can't get any drops.

this seems "unfair"

and dropping 2 bones for example or directly putting it in the inventory for both could be really sweet.
skeleton2 dies:
(droprate is calcted,= bone is gonna be dropped/ multiplyed by the amount of players who did minimum x% damage)
bone1 bound to player a (did 30% damage)
bone2 bound to player b (70%damage)

this would support weaker players, lower lvls, also people could start to farm together
or even hybrid builds,
me for example i like having an healing support archer with 70 agi to stun skeles and zombies and 100 dex and atleast 30-36int, i like to keep the people around me alive as much as possible, but i lack the power to gain any drops. i don't see a reason why i should be forced to change my stats to put all in agi to keep up, also would feel bad if id pick all the drops leaving everyone else unrewarded. playerbound drops/or item directly landing in inventory (for all participants) could fix much but i have no idea how to nor any skills to realize it, just my opinion

just increasing the normal droprate wouldn't fix anything but support the most powerful build/current class/ highest lvled player/s.
which would end in everyone having the same stats/class i guess :o
*wool producing*
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

OnymA wrote:just increasing the normal droprate wouldn't fix anything but support the most powerful build/current class/ highest lvled player/s.
which would end in everyone having the same stats/class i guess :o
Sorry, I meant "increase the normal drop rate AND sometimes change which player gets the drop first"

Also, I am *not* trying to change the "warriors get less drops because they are cheaper" thing; only reward players for playing in groups (which will help meat shields though).

And remember - if an archer is stat'ed so that they can get exp from healing - they are also giving up a LOT of exp from combat.
Fortunato
Novice
Novice

Post by Fortunato »

I think this is a good idea that might serve the purpose of encouraging a more social approach to playing very well.

There is only one problem: the potential for abuse is very high. It'd be possible to park several alts that are members of the same party on the map that is being played (behind the caretaker's inn at the gy for example), drive up the bonuses that way and defeat the purpose of this feature.

While I would love to see something like this in the game (as someone who appreciates the already existing party system and thinks there is more potential), imho some thought has to be given to preventing something like that.
OnymA
Novice
Novice

Post by OnymA »

Fortunato wrote: There is only one problem: the potential for abuse is very high. It'd be possible to park several alts that are members of the same party on the map that is being played (behind the caretaker's inn at the gy for example), drive up the bonuses that way and defeat the purpose of this feature.
this is true for attack speed drop rate additional hp/mp or regain ect.

but exp would totally worthless cause it would be shared with inactiv players

so even if someone had all buffbonuses it would be pretty bad exp if it was shared with all partymembers which are inactivly parked.
Also it would be real nice if the buffs would only apply if the players are in close range (chat range?) or only if they are fighting the same mob , which would avoid abuse on many maps(sadly not all example: very small ones)
Maps could have another or improved spawn ping pong[monster could have 2-3 spawn points cycling through it each kill, do they already have a spawn cycle? or was that another game i played, dont remember] and since auto-following and multiboxing is forbidden its pretty hard to move every char one by one.

in a secenario where these buffs/or similars would be applied id prefer teaming up, just because it would be easier then having 5 clients open at a time. i also imagine that gameplay could change, players could have different relations, meeting at a red/yellowslime spot and be happy to have company instead of feeling like occupied/or overtaken
*wool producing*
sacriopsmen
Novice
Novice

Post by sacriopsmen »

I am happy to have inspired someone with my topic and that some good ideas went on this topic.

IMO : some of these ideas make the parties more universals : instead of having only people of about the same lvl than you, it can be used for other purposes. So I agree with the possible bonusses.
Indeed, we must find a way to avoid cheating because, unlike it was said, I don't think the exp would even be shared with inactive members : not if the exp sharing cannot be used, or is simply off. Then, or we restictic this bonus by linking it with the exp sharing, or we take the risk to add it anyway, considering no one is enoughtly motivated to use 5 clients. Personnaly I could, but in fact, I prefer to play with others, and it's exactly why I play this game. I don't think it will be a problem, since a lot of people seem to think like I do.

I also think it there is a problem for the tank, or meat shield to not get the items, but it's not the subject here. And I totally agree that there should be some changes in the drop system, but because of another problem : I'm kicked of the server if I pickup the drops too fastly. Then I should just slow down and... let the ******* sea slimes eat them !
For the same reason (monsters that picks up drops) I don't think drops should go directly to the iventary, it would be less fun to foght these monsters.

Though, I just had an idea : the one who get the drop is the one who deal the most damage to the monster, right ? then, what about the second ? why the second item, if there is one, wouldn't be owned by the second player to deal damages... Yeah, it's true that it doesn't change a lot for the tanks, but I had to writte down the idea.

For the giant monsters, I have an other and about the same idea : predators. It's simple logic : why should a bigger bat have more than 2 wings ? no reason. But something that eat lots of bats could drop them even more often than the bat itself. And it doesn't need and crazy gigantic things, which I would prefer for bosses.
Ingame : "Lord Vlad" my archer-healer or "nanogreedy" my vunerable and pretty useless tank.
I also have an archer used as a shop : Vladshop. But it's not my favourite.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

It's not possible to drop more than 8 items.
thusmark
Peon
Peon

Post by thusmark »

OnymA wrote: G I A N T M O O O N S T E R S

Would love to see this. Maybe we could have an offspring of the desert worm Kfahr fights? Or the return of the dragon to Tulimshar's sewers?
o11c wrote: I have doubts about the feasibility of the giant monster thing
Only if it's feasible, of course.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

IMO TMW desperately needs some tough (luvia-like) bosses which are team level challenge. Something like this also needed in noob area (maybe limit maximum level of participants for newb area?). Quite many players are getting bored and quit game early due to lack of action. Yes, bashing maggots for half of hour isn't too impressive for many people and they could expect something a bit more epic than that.

As for groups, right now it's completely screwed up. Reason: o11c has trashed "bad" guild support code and obviously haven't reimplemented replacement of "unneeded feature" which is "unused". So while parties meant to be short-living, task-oriented groups which is what exactly needed to slay tough boss, in TMW players resorted to using parties to keep long-term relationship (working around lack of proper guilds implementation to do so). Needless to say, players would not leave their parties to form task-oriented groups. So it's likely not going to work well for TMW unless there is some "real" guilds support.