the lands of tempus and it's monarchy

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

keep it or change it to be nice

keep it
47%
don't care
18%
change it too gory
35%

Total votes: 17
cinderweb
Peon
Peon

the lands of tempus and it's monarchy

Post by cinderweb »

https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Tempus
Everyone look at the monarchy of keshlam in the lands of tempus and let me and wushin know what you think too harsh a monarchy for our world or not. I kinda based it off the scottish and english when scotland was owned by england. Up to you all if it's too horrible or not I could write it either way. let me know.
Note: this forum user was previously known as as jayd6974.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: the lands of tempus and it's monarchy

Post by WildX »

Is it meant to *look* like Scotland? :P

TMW Team member

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

There is a plaza out front the slaves call ending because the large number of torture devices that sit there to be used at the king and queens behest. Slaves that cannot do their work or citizens that become unruly are often disembowled for entertainment or racked depending on how the king and queen feel that day.

[...]

The female slaves that they have found go to the dukes and lords to make the armies larger and steadily they keep it at 2000 strong sometimes a bit more. Any females that these female slaves have are kept for future breeding purposes.
These two parts are too dark and edgy, IMO.

But the rest is great.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
straelyn
Novice
Novice

Post by straelyn »

I'll admit, it is a little dark/gory. Idk what a friendlier version of these things might sound like though. The essence of what you're saying is that the royalty takes pleasure in the suffering they cause. Maybe mention public executions, and taking the females as concubines, or forcing them into marriage, or something like that. Maybe we should keep in mind that if they were taken by a duke or something, wouldn't that make them offspring of royalty to some degree? Maybe a more generic approach to this part would be better. Something along the lines of this:
"The men who can't work are executed, and their women and children taken as spoils of war."
The idea being that they're treated like cattle in some way, only instead of milk, it's babies :o
end of line.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think slavery is already evil enough. You don't have to add rape and torture to get the point across that they are evil.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

Crush wrote:I think slavery is already evil enough. You don't have to add rape and torture to get the point across that they are evil.
+1
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

People aren't evil for no reason. There has to be a justification.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
cinderweb
Peon
Peon

Post by cinderweb »

The idea is that it's a monarchy on it's last legs they need to do something but all they know how to do is take and they take anyone in their lands that's an outsider and work them to death i don't know if the playerbase will ever have the numbers to take on their army but we sure could make a dent in it and the gasaron would probably help. If we could beat out the monarchy then we'd have a town that the players could govern.
Note: this forum user was previously known as as jayd6974.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

cinderweb wrote:I don't know if the playerbase will ever have the numbers to take on their army
[...]
If we could beat out the monarchy then we'd have a town that the players could govern.
Having an MMORPG where the background scenario isn't static but which is constantly changing through the actions of the players is an intriguing idea. But keep in mind how much work this means. Lots of content needs to be maintained constantly to represent the political changes.

But maybe it could be automatized. I am not necessarily talking about this scenario here, but I could imagine an area with two factions and allowing the players to fight for either. When the players support one faction, that faction becomes more powerful while the other is reduced to a resistance. When the players then decide to support the resistance, they overthrow the empire just to become an oppressive empire themself, and the cycle repeats.
  • NOT a game master

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

o11c wrote:People aren't evil for no reason. There has to be a justification.
This. Most of the things you mentioned are there for absolutely no reason other than sounding evil. It's not "too much", it's just unnecessary.

TMW Team member