Global Chat

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

gibakugo
Newly Registered User

Global Chat

Post by gibakugo »

Is it now possible to implement 'global chat'? I think that it'd help new players to stay longer in game, as people would be able to reply to their questions, or to simply see that community is nice, people get along with each other.
Hurnscald would gradually become less popular, as players could go anywhere, staying in contact with other players.
SnackDay
Newly Registered User

Re: Global Chat

Post by SnackDay »

+1
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Chat channels are near the top of my TODO list, but with all the drama lately I haven't been able to work on features.

Automatically adding new players to a #n00bs channel has been suggested.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

o11c wrote:Automatically adding new players to a #n00bs channel has been suggested.
I would suggest some more neutral name like #world or something like this (that's how it usually named in games). Because "n00b" sounds like an insult when it used in RPGs. Great idea otherwise.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

About a week ago Ginaria and I had a nice conversation about this topic so I'm bumping it.
Credits go to her for bringing it up again ;)

While at first I was against a global chat she convinced me of the benefits of it. I want you to have a look at the two most important ones:
  • New players can ask for help, fast and uncomplicated without having to whisper several people hoping to get the answer they long for (if they even already know how to whisper). Especially at abandoned places (Tutorial, Tulimshar, the labyrinth of Nivalis, ...) this is *very* useful and could help us making new players stay.
  • Players can make a "global announcement" to gather other people for Cindy, Illia, Crypt raids and such without asking a GM. We are in a time that cries for something like this. The release of the Crypts, although they are really awesome, separated players. When in the past there was (nearly) everyone levelling in the Graveyard nowadays it's often hard to find someone there. Same counts for the Crypts. In a nutshell we have less players that got separated and a global chat helps them to gather.
But! These should be the only two things a global chat should be used for.
There is still the General chat tab for local small talk, whispers for private discussions and guild/party for groups of people.
Saying this because the downside of a global chat is potential abusive behavior (e.g. spam).
IMO using the global chat for small talk should be disallowed and moderated by the GMs (sorry, but at least you would have less work with less @broadcasts for Cindy, etc. :D ).

Also making the trade chat tab globally useable would be quite handy.
I would keep it separated from the global one though.

Like I said: I had my doubts at first but Gina was the one to convince me.
Now the benefits are just too useful to me to be against it :alt-3:

Looking forward to more opinions.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

can't we use IRC (and include it in the client) for that?
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

EJlol wrote:can't we use IRC (and include it in the client) for that?
If add irc to client, in chat names will be not related to game names.
Altus Institute
Novice
Novice

Post by Altus Institute »

4144 wrote:

the online list is not based on the log in, but on the game names.
Why the irc cant do the same if its included in the client?
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Altus Institute wrote:
4144 wrote:

the online list is not based on the log in, but on the game names.
Why the irc cant do the same if its included in the client?
Online list get player from txt generated by game server.
With irc server, if add irc client to manaplus. connecting to irc server and using any possible nick. Also some one can be in irc channel but not in game. Result is full mess.

Irc can be used on server side, then left issue only with players not in game.

Actual eathena forks using irc server like i said, but tmw is very old fork :(
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Chat channels are a feature I've been planning a while (I have a post somewhere with details), and the work I just finished in the last update means that there are no longer any major blockages for them (just hook up a new persistence database and write a little glue code).

But I lost a *lot* of steam for development after all the attacks on me after the update last September. Progress still comes, but takes longer (and doesn't penetrate as much of the codebase). Some people just want to see people hurt.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
gobeyond
Peon
Peon

Post by gobeyond »

Sorry that I'm reviving the old topic, but it's still a issue.
I hope that you implement global chat in fusion with evol. I think that it will help new players to interact with other players, making them stay in game instead of leaving due to lack of people to talk with.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

The new server has an IRC bridge and a proper guild support, so yes, it somehow was added. :)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
gobeyond
Peon
Peon

Post by gobeyond »

Reid wrote:The new server has an IRC bridge and a proper guild support, so yes, it somehow was added. :)
That's a great news! :D