My idea on how to develop the game faster.

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Jerobeel
Peon
Peon

My idea on how to develop the game faster.

Post by Jerobeel »

-Often the easiest way of doing something is the most obvious and also the most elusive.
My idea is simple, to participate in forums about MMORG, programs used to dev TMW (whatever you use: C, C++), graphic design and tools (gif, tiles, etc) and request people to join TMW as part (or helpers) of the developers team.
I'm pretty sure that there are going to be programmers and artists willing to help for free just to use their habilities (even to show off)
Many hard to code games had been finished because they are backed with numbers (of devs), this simple idea is to acomplish that.
I believe that in this way is possible to implement all the approved ideas in one year, maybe less.
Even Adventure or Forever, or the combo.

-Someone told me that the game needs more sound FX. Again the easy way is to search in Creative Commons sound and music web pages (is this the license used right?)

- My personal view of what is lacking to the game in order to feel more complete is:
+ A storyline that justify some future bigger quests, and/or:
+ One or more legends.

Some points are already there:
-Like Orum at the bad side
-The mana seed, which suggest that there is a mana tree, who and why placed the mana seed in that cave?

A good idea is to take things from art, literature and real life legends and stories, i already suggested in another post about taking ideas from The Divine Comedy (Dante, the guy that goes to hell etc etc) and the theme of the Babel Tower.

After a good storyline there comes quests, more towns, more spells, items etc. Maybe a Reborn/Rencarnation system like Ragnarok Online wouldnt be bad...
A more complete game produce more player retentions.

About Advertising TMW:

TMW is not only not having enough advertising, it's also that is not retaining players who try the game, don't like it because of what it lacks then quit. Also not enough word of mouth. I discovered TMW because i downloaded Ubuntu then inside i was looking for games.

Have TMW a facebook fan page? if that so, there could be GM Events that reward players by liking and posting. I think of free in game T-shirt that says "i <3 TMW"

Participating in 2d MMORPG circles, writing rewiews about TMW, looking into other similar games in order to "steal" players, (games produced in RPG Maker for example).

I have a major in music, I would like to compose music for the game, and maybe participate in creating a storyline. Im not necessary looking to be part of the Dev team, im just thinking about creating some musical ideas then suggest it to the devs and if them/you like it, you can implement it.

If there is a post on how to suggest music content pls post for me the link,
also i want to know what file format, if there is a size limit. Maybe type of quality, MIDI or as real possible. (some in game music sound MIDI-ish)

Thanks for all of you who readed this. :alt-3:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: My idea on how to develop the game faster.

Post by Crush »

I like your attitude.

But keep in mind that more developers doesn't necessarily means linear increase in productivity. First, software development doesn't scale linearly anyway (read "The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering" by Fred Brooks for details). Second, the more developers, the more discussions you have.

I noticed that during times where we had a much larger number of developers. People work on TMW free of charge, but that doesn't mean that they work for free. The currency people demand to be paid in is creative influence. Everyone has their own vision of how the game should be and everyone tries to lobby on the development team to go into that direction. When the personal visions of people contradict, it leads to conflict. There were times where we spend most of the time to argue about which vision is the best and nothing got done. Silent witnesses of this process are tons of concept articles buried in the Archive: namespace of the wiki. There are some really great ideas in there, but most of them never happened because they conflicted too much with the ideas of other developers who didn't cooperate in their implementation or even actively worked against it.

Professional projects solve this problem with money. There is one person who has the money (or is named project leader by those who do) and pays the other developers to create what they are told. But on a volunteer project like TMW nobody has that way to back their authority. To get people to work together in a common direction and let their personal interests and ideas stay behind, strong and charismatic leadership is required.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jerobeel
Peon
Peon

Re: My idea on how to develop the game faster.

Post by Jerobeel »

Wow, is sad :alt-4: this is a great game, but it have many years being incomplete, I understand what you say about devs wanting to do things their way, i hope they hear me and and see that doing things like that is being selfish, i'm not prettending to insult or being harsh on anyone.

i forgot to mention that im envy of those trolls in the new area, their blue fire animation is too cool.