Proposal for United Servers Convention Act

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

iceslice
Warrior
Warrior

Proposal for United Servers Convention Act

Post by iceslice »

We don't want war/fight or DDoS attack. Better we reach a constructive solutions/agreements. We don't want a broken community.
It's important that a player knows which event or party is scheduled in which server. Such activity will enrich the health of the overall community. I personally prefer events like General Knowledge Competition. Content development is another continuous process.
Instead of keeping things private/closed, better we let ideas to flow, flourish and stay open.

And is it not ok if we let admins of different servers to announce there events/trivia/party?

I suppose, we should let different point of views to be acknowledged.

Just sharing my thoughts and other point of views are welcomed as well.

Edit: I suppose it's not a bad idea if game servers can coherently cooperate with each other based on distributed systems and load-balancing concepts.
Lets Chase MDGs...

ManaPortable (Vanilla Mana + ManaPlus) -- run 'em portably

http://manaportable.1sourceplus.com
http://manamac.1sourceplus.com
Game Server >> jadu.1sourceplus.org , jadu.1sourceplus.com

Nard
Knight
Knight

Re: Proposal for United Servers Convention Act

Post by Nard »

Nothing to add.
You have at least one supporter.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

If someone is willing to launch a DDoS attack, they are already breaking many internet conventions and agreements and they won't hesitate to break another one.

I don't see what you can accomplish.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

o11c wrote:If someone is willing to launch a DDoS attack, they are already breaking many internet conventions and agreements and they won't hesitate to break another one.

I don't see what you can accomplish.
Please read again Iceslice's post, you didn't understand it.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Nard wrote: Please read again Iceslice's post, you didn't understand it.
Me neither tbh.

TMW Team member

iceslice
Warrior
Warrior

Post by iceslice »

.:WildX:. wrote:
Nard wrote: Please read again Iceslice's post, you didn't understand it.
Me neither tbh.
Just the way United Nations is formed of different nations, we can form a body of United Servers where representatives from different game servers will decide which game content they are willing to share with other servers.
And an event schedule calendar can be implemented within game client to inform players which event/party/trivia is scheduled in which server. I don't think it's very difficult to understand.
Lets Chase MDGs...

ManaPortable (Vanilla Mana + ManaPlus) -- run 'em portably

http://manaportable.1sourceplus.com
http://manamac.1sourceplus.com
Game Server >> jadu.1sourceplus.org , jadu.1sourceplus.com

wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Well all development content is licensed under GPLv2 and/or cc-sa-3.
As long as you abide by the terms of those licenses all the TMW content can be used. I cannot speak for LoF, Evol or any other TMW fork.
As for some schedule thing that you should ask manaplus for.
TMW uses manaplus and manaplus chooses to support us. http://manaplus.org/
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Aren't copyrights enough? This sounds unnecessary...

TMW Team member

Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

In my opinion, any idea is a good one, that makes people cooperate instead of fighting.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

I agree, what this project needs is more people working variants and establishing forks.
More participation even if it's contrary to original TMW goals.
So many themes and ideas that will never work here; Sci-fi, SIMS, modern, etc.
As Ten Years out and really the forks have brought more forward in development than the core.
As far as I am concerned, I don't want to make "A Game" I want to make "All Games Possible".
I'd rather we all adopted a framework from which we can easily create a bunch of content to fill.
Leaving Artists, Content and Coders alone to do Awesome stuff.
It's a waste of a pixel Gods time to draw dirt, they should be painting Sistine Chapel's while us plebs work on the dirt.
We should be focusing on making a series of games/modules/mods like any other sane MMORPG or RPG.
Specially when you consider we did create a place called http://opengameart.org/
I can't see a lose here. Everyone will get their art/content/code used and credited everywhere.
The main thing is if you want players and a game, content has to be created and the projects need to move forward.
I've always been willing to take content from other servers if they want to submit it and have no problem with copying as long as credit is maintained.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

I don't see the point of it, is it just for servers? Or also for forks?
What we want to share is already written on our license file, it's just at the other server to accept our license or not.
Prevention of DDoS? Like o11c said you can't block one to do this.

Friendship and helping each other? I already tried to start such community between servers/forks, it's good for the little project but bad for others as it requests too much time.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Reid wrote:I already tried to start such community between servers/forks, it's good for the little project but bad for others as it requests too much time.
I remember your trial Reidy, also I remember to have told you that the idea was nice but that I didn't believe in it. Now the context begins to be different. I don't think that for most of us, sharing is a problem; but we all know, there are still people wandering around, who have difficulties to quote their sources, or like to waste resources with dos. Hence let's begin with small things, such as Ice's proposition, and wait until the times are better. It is useless to waste a lot of time for big stuff, impossible to realize. The first step is always the hardest one to make.