Reintroduction of Unobtainable Hats

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Should unobtainable hats like Mouboo Head and Shroom Hat be reintroduced, and if so how?

Keep unobtainable
59%
Reintroduce as drops at about clover rarity (0.05%)
18%
Reintroduce as drops at about pinkie hat rarity (0.40%)
No votes
Reintroduce in old or new quests
18%
Other (post to explain)
6%

Total votes: 17
Relm
Novice
Novice

Reintroduction of Unobtainable Hats

Post by Relm »

Hi all,

I've had discussions about this in game but haven't found any specifically about this on the forums. This is about unobtainable hats, like Shroom Hat, Mouboo Head and possibly others. Should they continue along their path of ever-increasing rarity? Possible concerns include wearers of excessively rare hats being bothered by people wishing to purchase them, content excluding the majority of players, and on the other side, extreme devaluation of items currently worth millions of GP and a loss of that special feeling of having something so very rare. Mouboo Head would correspond to Mouboo and Shroom Hat would correspond to Spiky Mushroom, but are there any other obvious hat-mob connections like these that aren't already implemented? What are your opinions about this?
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Reintroduction of Unobtainable Hats

Post by wushin »

We currently have enough "unsused" hats we can meddle with. It saves time fighting the "Hat Party".
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Yes, it's been discussed before and it's all come down to people who are too lazy to try to find the hats and buy them.

They should stay rare, it's fun for people to interact with others in the market and collect hats they don't see in quests. Mana Market sells them too sometimes and other peoples stores. Plus if you bring them back into the game as commons it wouldn't be fair for the people who weren't lazy and actually worked to find the hats and worked to obtain these items.

Sorry but I highly disagree, they should stay rare. The Shroom hats were re-introduced in a easter quest 2 years ago I believe along with the top hats and a few others. There was also a Christmas quest that did the same thing. Bringing them back *again* they would have next to nothing value.

Plus as wushin said there are newer items to be brought into the game.

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Relm
Novice
Novice

Post by Relm »

Oh I don't intend to start any fights, just asking for everyone's opinions.

And I thought of another good mob to add a hat to: I think Drunken Skeleton is wearing the Tophat.
https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php ... n_Skeleton

Chicka, personally I agree that they should stay very rare. However, due to the natural flow of players, they are becoming progressively rarer. I would settle for a one in ten thousand drop rate simply to keep the amount of hats in the market the same.
bagzie
Newly Registered User

Post by bagzie »

Every mob should drop a hat.
thusmark
Peon
Peon

Post by thusmark »

/me agrees completely with Chicka.

These items are not relevant to gameplay either, so why the fuss? (Except, maybe, Scarab Arrmlet. But I don't think that should be reintroduced either.) If anybody wants to get them, collect money and buy them from people who have them. Though I agree that these items will soon get evenly distributed and nobody will sell them ...

So, instead of sitting in town and complaining, collect money quickly enough to buy them before somebody else does. Many poeple are still willing to sell these items if you're patient enough to have a Hurns sitter and look at the trade tab once in a while. Some shops keep popping up. And there are the GM events.

Making them a rare drop (even an ultra-rare one) means that you've potentially introduced an infinite number of those items ingame. Nobody in their right mind would sell it to an NPC, so their price keeps falling. I hardly think of a 4 Leaf Clover as a rare nowadays. Dark Helm, yes. But that's a very special case. And as for being reward for a quest, Love Triangle Quest is difficult, but do you see anybody with pining for a Brown Bowler Hat or something? Neither is a Copter Hat considered a rare. If these items are reintroduced, they'll soon (maybe not that soon, but still) lose their novelty, the very reason people want them to be reintroduced. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?
Relm
Novice
Novice

Post by Relm »

I don't want these hats by the way. I just want my wizard hat, which I have.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Chicka-Maria wrote:Yes, it's been discussed before and it's all come down to people who are too lazy to try to find the hats and buy them.
There is nothing lazy about "there are not enough of these in the game for everyone who wants one to have one".
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

o11c wrote:
Chicka-Maria wrote:Yes, it's been discussed before and it's all come down to people who are too lazy to try to find the hats and buy them.
There is nothing lazy about "there are not enough of these in the game for everyone who wants one to have one".
There are people who have gone out and searched hard enough to find one, look at cassy and a few others that wanted a mouboo hat they got one because they looked and weren't lazy.

Play the game and market and you will see.

regards,
Chicka
Yubaba
Relm
Novice
Novice

Post by Relm »

An unwillingness to killl tens of thousands of yellow slimes for a pretty hat is not laziness but sanity.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Lucifer wrote:An unwillingness to killl tens of thousands of yellow slimes for a pretty hat is not laziness but sanity.

thats why you find other ways to earn money...all the money i have i earned comes from marketing with other players, selling armor, selling materials to mages such as roots, slimes, spikes, etc. Killing yellow slimes isn't the only way to make money on the game, its just a way for people to make money that don't want to interact with others. It's an MMORPG you will find that every MMO works best with money when talking to other players. Stuff like terranite ore and iron ore sell pretty well too. As far as I know Terranite ore sells for 10-20k each alone. I also find if you sell generic items in large bundles people buy them more often because they prefer to buy things in bundles and not singles.

A lot of players are willing to pay money for bundled items (example is i have seen people specifically ask for 100+ of an item such as roots and they pay about 300gp each root). This is how I earned gp when I first started and its an item mages will keep needing so there will always be an income.

There are always ways, just because everyone says yellow slimes are the best way it doesnt make it true. Gosh red slimes drop gloves, rubys and such don't they? Those items sell for something even at the NPC. Also if you're a high level you can always level up with yetis and sell their tears too for quite a bit. Bundle up on coal from mogguns too.

On top of all that you can add on a little extra with daily points if you really need the cash.

Perhaps things will be even easier than it is when professions come out.

You just have to play the game in different ways and experiment whats right for you when it comes to earning dough.

Another hint: People tend to buy herbs in large bundles as well to dye clothes, for quests and so on. There are a couple areas in the game where herb hunting isn't so hard.

regards,
Chicka
Yubaba
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

If you want to frustrate and lose players that are proud of their rare achievement they got after long work for it, then just make rares obtainable again.
It's just like that.
I'm not for making more items rares, but making those obtainable that are rare is a very bad idea.

Since we had that topic already a few times I can just quote myself.
Please really read it, I pointed out a few very important points IMO:

Cassy wrote:We had that topic several times: People get pissed when the rares they love get available far easier than before.
Of course they do, they had a hard time getting them, spent much money after collecting them for weeks/months or even years.

As a newbie I always wanted certain rares (and still do) but we have a huge collection of other hats we can use until we finally get the chance to get the rare we wanted.
And this is one of the things that's still encouraging me to play the game: there are rares I want to have one day.
I'm playing for a year now, compared to others this might not be much, but a year is still a year of effort to get something.
And if I finally get the rare I wanted for months/years and the devs (I'm speaking as a player now) suddenly make it easily obtainable you can be sure that even I become *REALLY* fed up.
This is how people leave the game... and I disagree: we should, no, must have a problem with player leavings - always, even if our members count was increasing again, what it isn't.
Cassy wrote:To me the whole point of having rares is that I just love to collect them (like I love to collect every dyed version of none-rare items like Cotton Skirts) and since it quite takes a while to get one I see them as some kind of achievement.
Also there are some that just look great (Bunny & Rabbit Ears, Mouboo Head, Christmas Tree Hat, Sunglasses, Witch Hat, Antler Hat, Snow Goggles, Funky & Christmas Elf Hat, etc. ... note that after one year I only have Rabbit Ears, Snow Goggles and the Funky Hat of those just mentioned - as I said it takes a while).

I'm often bored of level grinding and go for earning money, not only by killing Red Slimes, rather than by trading.
Yes, trading can be fun and when you finally got the rare you wanted you are quite happy about it.

So I'm not wearing my Rabbit Ears to show off or to frustrate new players cause they can't ever get them (which is wrong btw, I got rares as newbie too), I wear them cause I simply love them and am happy that I could get them.
In the end I wear my not rare Fluffy Hat often enough :D
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
willee
Peon
Peon

Post by willee »

request for public comment on previously reintroduced rares