Why is there aliasing in TMW?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Relm
Novice
Novice

Why is there aliasing in TMW?

Post by Relm »

It's a 2D game based on very small tiles. Why do I see aliasing all the time, in item icons and ingame animations? Shouldn't it be a simple thing to avoid aliasing during the art process? In 3D games, sure, it's been kind of inevitable, but the aliasing here isn't due to the animation process, it's part of the actual client files.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Why is there aliasing in TMW?

Post by wushin »

# of artists and time.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Relm
Novice
Novice

Post by Relm »

wushin wrote:# of artists and time.
Oh okay, I thought maybe there was some sort of ethos about it or something. I know GIMP has a sort of antialiasing feature but I can't vouch that it would work for your purposes since it might make too many colors or something. This could even get into lacking an alpha layer now that I think of it... O_o
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Wow wait, what are you talking about?
Lucifer wrote:It's a 2D game based on very small tiles. Why do I see aliasing all the time, in item icons and ingame animations? Shouldn't it be a simple thing to avoid aliasing during the art process?
And then? AA is made to give a smooth effect, it's useless on 16x16 pixel art sprite/tiles, but on 32x32 or larger it's pretty useful.
wushin wrote:# of artists and time.
Well that's wrong, it doesn't requier much time to do a sprite without AA (we're speaking about the outline right?) it's just a different style of doing. (ie: Hal9000 uses a lot of AA and enchilado uses none)
Lucifer wrote:Oh okay, I thought maybe there was some sort of ethos about it or something. I know GIMP has a sort of antialiasing feature but I can't vouch that it would work for your purposes since it might make too many colors or something.
"antialisaing feature"? You can enable anti-aliasing on selection and transformation tools, but if you're talking about the "blur" or "smudge" tool, anyone using that for pixel art purpose should be burnt, and anyone doing that for a small sprite should also be burnt.
Lucifer wrote:This could even get into lacking an alpha layer now that I think of it... O_o
What?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Reid I was referring to the amount of of different artists and how over time all that changed.
nm0i
Peon
Peon

Post by nm0i »

Artists are useless. Aliasing is for sissies.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Nice Nethackscald.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

It's not nethack-style. Nethack is rare in that '#' represents a walkable corridor instead of a wall like most other roguelikes.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Darkhog
Peon
Peon

Post by Darkhog »

From my experience simple 0.5 gaussian blur (any other amount will make it too blurry) in Gimp solves issue of aliasing.