Client-side texturepacks

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Darkhog
Peon
Peon

Client-side texturepacks

Post by Darkhog »

I think it would be cool if one would be able to make sort of "texture pack" for TMW. It would work similar to interface skins, but would change tiles, icons, sprites, etc. instead. I think it'd be great way to customize your TMW experience without affecting everyone else's.

Let be fair: TMW graphics, while great, gets boring after a while. Would gladly see some packs that change it into 16bit/8bit pixelart for example, etc.

Again, this would be purely client-side so servers and other players wouldn't be affected.
Knight
Knight

Re: Client-side texturepacks

Post by 4144 »

You just explained mods.

Change all textures will be hard, not sure what some one can do this.
Possible change also not only textures, but any client art/xml/etc.
Darkhog
Peon
Peon

Post by Darkhog »

Well, changing xml... I think it'd be bad as it may lead to making some sort of undetectable cheats (like Tibia's infamous fish mod - it showed where are all fishes so you know where to fish to get a fish - as it is clientside mod and undetectable especially if person occasionally fish in area where there are no fishes, cipsoft can't do much about it), etc. We don't want it.

Changing art is good though as it won't affect other players and will only increase enjoyment of person playing. As for replacing art... Once such ability would be possible I'm sure there would be some enthusiasts that aren't satisfied with current TMW graphics - just look at amount of MC texture packs available.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

You cant change anything server side from client side mods.
And if your quest allow client cheating, this mean this is useless quest.
bagzie
Newly Registered User

Post by bagzie »

Darkhog wrote:Changing art is good though as it won't affect other players and will only increase enjoyment of person playing. As for replacing art... Once such ability would be possible I'm sure there would be some enthusiasts that aren't satisfied with current TMW graphics - just look at amount of MC texture packs available.
First of all, changing art is possible. It just takes hundreds of hours of work to replace everything. Minecraft has sold millions of copies and making texture packs is far less work thanks to its art style. There is no comparison.
Darkhog
Peon
Peon

Post by Darkhog »

4144 wrote:You cant change anything server side from client side mods.
And if your quest allow client cheating, this mean this is useless quest.
I think we have a misunderstanding here. I *DON'T* want to allow cheats, hence no editing of xml files (so potential exploits can't be found), only changing game art.
bagzie wrote:First of all, changing art is possible. It just takes hundreds of hours of work to replace everything. Minecraft has sold millions of copies and making texture packs is far less work thanks to its art style. There is no comparison.
Cool story, bro. I had beautiful pixelart textures for TMW in the works. Unfortunately they got replaced in an update few years ago. Why? Because there are no official support for that kind of client change, only changing GUI skin is possible.

I want to be able to change tiles, sprites and all other art resources without fearing they'll be wiped out by an update (or rather changed into original textures).
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

You can override these resources either through specifying a complete local client data repository to use and launching the client with -u -d /path/to/client-data, which is recommended if you're interested in development, or by adding update style zips to the client customdata directory.

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
Darkhog
Peon
Peon

Post by Darkhog »

Neither of which is straightforward for average player and when I get bored of one pack and would like to use another I have to remove current one instead of choosing it from a simple menu (as it should be).
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Darkhog wrote:Neither of which is straightforward for average player and when I get bored of one pack and would like to use another I have to remove current one instead of choosing it from a simple menu (as it should be).
There is something that you don't understand about xml, they're client side, and 4144's mods affect them directly. Don't missunderstand them with serverside scripts.
You can select in a mod list your texture pack and enable it easily on the client, so what 4144 said is 100% accurate and good for what you want.
(XMLs are just here to link things together on the clientdata, open one to understand it more.)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect