Regarding Emotes

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Regarding Emotes

Post by deepthought »

Why is there only troll face? Alt+z. Please add other meme and rage faces. There have number of situations where I wanna use challenge accepted face, success kid, epic win. It would make conversation much more funnier and less words.

http://www.memes.at has all meme faces. One can also download the faces here. I hope someone sees my point.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Re: Regarding Emotes

Post by Reid »

deepthought wrote:Why is there only troll face? Alt+z. Please add other meme and rage faces. There have number of situations where I wanna use challenge accepted face, success kid, epic win. It would make conversation much more funniet and less words.

http://www.memes.at has all meme faces. One can also download the faces here. I hope someone sees my point.
There're some problem with these meme, some of them are copyrighted and we can't use them on manaplus. The troll face is no exception, and we should technically remove it. :?
http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebre ... =25&HIST=1

If you find some who are GPL'ed, I can port them in manaplus, but I will be the one to refuse to add a large number of meme face.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

Oh, I forgot about the copyrights. I guess we don't have any memes under GPL license. I did a google search and all I got was memes on GPL. Huh! If troll face is copyrighted, it must be removed. Copyright infrigment is very problematic.

Everything is copyrighted now a days. Happy birthday song is copyrighted to warner brothers.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

wait someone copyrighted the troll face? and not copyleft?
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

wushin wrote:wait someone copyrighted the troll face? and not copyleft?
Just follow my link.
-- Ford Prefect
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

How could you prove original art on that? Seems more like Carlos Ramirez is a troll.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

wushin wrote:wait someone copyrighted the troll face?
A creative work is "copyrighted" automatically the moment it is created. The author doesn't need to perform any further action to be able to claim copyright. A registration with an official entity is optional.
wushin wrote:How could you prove original art on that? Seems more like Carlos Ramirez is a troll.
It doesn't matter who the original creator is. The image didn't appear out of nowhere - some person somewhere drew it, and you are violating his or her copyrights. As do millions of other people on the internet, but that doesn't make it right.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

I don't argue about legality. I get that. But IMO, this is one of those things that appears like a patent/copyright troll. To me it's like trademarking "lolcatz".

So on that note, Manaplus has the unlicensed conflicting emotes as looking through the client-data for TMW we only have the emotes made for TMW. Its most likely time to make a license file for the art in Manaplus. TMW client-data has it for each emote.
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

What I don't understand is how does memes classify as intellectual property. They are just ideas. As we are not using for any commercial or marketing purpose, I guess we won't be in trouble. Maybe..
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

deepthought wrote:What I don't understand is how does memes classify as intellectual property. They are just ideas. As we are not using for any commercial or marketing purpose, I guess we won't be in trouble. Maybe..
It's not the idea that is copyrighted, you actually can't copyright something as opaque as this. It's the image, we can work on emotes which are "inspired by" a copyrighted work, but not just use it or derivate it (which is what has been done afaik in manaplus's emote).
http://www.artslaw.org/inspired.htm
-- Ford Prefect
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

So, will troll face be removed from Mana world as it's under copyright laws ? Lastly I think there are no memes which are under GPL. The success kid, bad luck guy, me gusta.. All are under copyright or tm.
I'm as cool and comforting as the porcelain tiles on your bathroom floor during an evening of vomiting.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

deepthought wrote:So, will troll face be removed from Mana world as it's under copyright laws ?
I will soon(c) change every emotes with a new set and style for Evol, wushin is aware of this so it will be up to tmw to decide if they want to add these emotes or not (license will be compatible for both project).

deepthought wrote:Lastly I think there are no memes which are under GPL. The success kid, bad luck guy, me gusta.. All are under copyright or tm.
Like I told you, I would be against an excess of meme face in manaplus, the trollface is an exception as it's the most used one, but I won't add any other one.
-- Ford Prefect
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Yar, Reid, IMO, most likely best to replace. As any artist who would copyright the trollface most likely would troll the project just to troll the project. Whether the case would hold up in a court of law or not, I'd rather not have to deal with a legion of trolls over one image that can reproduce & replaced.
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

Thanks Wushin and Reid. This settles the topic. Please post the new emotes here when you are done.
I'm as cool and comforting as the porcelain tiles on your bathroom floor during an evening of vomiting.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Or post some WIP. I would love to see them :alt-3: