Regarding Character Design

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Regarding Character Design

Post by deepthought »

Its difficult for a new player and sometimes for an experienced player to recognize genderin Mana world. I did thought several girls to boys. Because there aren't many noticeable differences between male and female sex. Especially when they sit. I suggest to add some distinguishing features of male and female sexes. Males should have broader shoulder compared to female. Females should have narrow hip. What say ?
I'm as cool and comforting as the porcelain tiles on your bathroom floor during an evening of vomiting.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Regarding Character Design

Post by Cassy »

ugh... while I agree that there should be more differences like the ones you suggested, this would cause a sick amount of work because it's not just the base sprite that would require a rework, it would also be *every* piece of equipment while every piece of equipment has several numbers of frames.

Nice suggestion, but I'm definitely out :D
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

I don't know much about character design. If it takes long do it slowly, it would be a good improvement.
I'm as cool and comforting as the porcelain tiles on your bathroom floor during an evening of vomiting.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Yeah, don't worry, I thought I give you short insight into this because I know that it's hard to guess how much effort it would take if you aren't into development.

Well if someone wants to do it it'd be great, but I guess it's too much effort for the small number of developers and contributors we currently have.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

Yeah, I know how difficult of a task to maintain the game for the developers. As this is under GPL there will be little to none money contribution. I'm a programmer myself and I'll join after I complete the game. I've invited some of my friends to join the project.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Oh, nice, well hurry then (no, take your time and enjoy)! :D

In this case:
Besides the player model sprites all .png files in this list would require adjustment:
https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... ment/chest
Looking at the assassin-female.png we have over 130 frames in just one sprite.
Of course it depends on how much the player model sprites would be changed.
Maybe also other equipment sprites.

Dunno if you knew this.
Main characters:

deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

What pixel art tool is best for gnu linux ? What do you use cassy ?
Last edited by deepthought on 20 Oct 2014, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

deepthought wrote:What pixel art tool is best for linux ? What do you use cassy ?
I use GIMP for both Windows and Linux.
Main characters:

deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

GIMP ? :alt-3: I've been using gimp for ages. Thanks.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Just use the Adult mod and/or disable clothing.

IME most boobs are visible, if any aren't you only need to fix a couple of things.

Also manaplus shows the gender symbol by the character name.

But tbh we're missing like 90% of the possible genders, so ...

/me should fix.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

I don't remember exactly if it was from discovery or ngc but when a guy looks at a girl hips are the first place he looks.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Make the nipples on female sprites blink bright green. Problem solved.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

o11c wrote:Just use the Adult mod and/or disable clothing.

IME most boobs are visible, if any aren't you only need to fix a couple of things.

Also manaplus shows the gender symbol by the character name.

But tbh we're missing like 90% of the possible genders, so ...

/me should fix.
Most boobs are visible. I agree. Certain equip, warlord plate for instance girls are almost flat chested. Yes there's a symbol beside the character name but it would be good if there's more noticeable differences between boys and girls.
Meicchi
Novice
Novice

Post by Meicchi »

o11c wrote:But tbh we're missing like 90% of the possible genders, so ...
And this is why I'm totally against changes like that. Gender is a comprehensive stuff, as we can have womans with larger shoulders (my mom is anatomically and gendered woman and has a large swimmer's shoulder), and men can have a tight hip and roundy butt, why not? To not even talk about transgender, intersex, and such. This is why I believe gender neutrality is sure a nice feature on TMW.

If such changes would be made I think it should stand for subtle additions like in manners and ettiquetes, like sitting or standing still in a different way. This would be more likely to gender identity than anatomic stereotype.