Name change feature

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

warpspeed
Newly Registered User

Name change feature

Post by warpspeed »

It could be useful if there was a way for players to change their character's name, like an NPC where they could enter their desired new name, if available they could confirm and then the name changes to the new one. That way, players that decide they don't like the name they chose for one or more of their characters, or came up with one they like more that would be available could change it. It could also cost some GP or items so it wouldn't be too easy to use, and players that abuse it could be blocked from using it.
prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: Name change feature

Post by prsm »

From a GM stand point, I am not sure if i like this idea.
Names are the only true way we "know" a person. Changing your name
would give an unfair advantage to the people that like to break the rules.

Prsm
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

warpspeed wrote:It could be useful if there was a way for players to change their character's name, like an NPC where they could enter their desired new name, if available they could confirm and then the name changes to the new one. That way, players that decide they don't like the name they chose for one or more of their characters, or came up with one they like more that would be available could change it. It could also cost some GP or items so it wouldn't be too easy to use, and players that abuse it could be blocked from using it.
I am not in favor of this because of one thing alone. We gm's could keep track of names etc, but i don't want that players that has been annoying as hell or doing shady things could change names and get away from their reputation in the community. The community rules might be a lot stricter than the gm rules in some cases. If someone behaves badly towards people they should have to live with it, compare it to if i could just switch names, kill everyone in the terra cave and steal their drops and then just switch back to my name... that sounds like a bad idea.

Since you can have as many characters as you like you can always start a new one with a nick you like better.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
warpspeed
Newly Registered User

Post by warpspeed »

Thinking about it, even if a character's name was changed, it would still be tied to the account. The price for changing the name could be expensive to discourage abuse, like for instance 100k GP or more. And the name change could be globally announced, like "x changed their name to y", that way it's known to everyone online at the time and in their chat logs.

Alternatively, rather than making it available to players through an NPC, it could be something GMs could do upon request, and still be globally announced (e.g. "x was renamed to y") for community awareness and evidence (or maybe optionally not to other players but still known to GMs if a player would need the name change to escape persistent abuse).

I understand that in any case, if the idea would be implemented, it would need to be done carefully. I think it could be useful though if there would be a way that players could get a name change for an existing character if they want a different name, rather than having to start a new character.
Octopus
Novice
Novice

Post by Octopus »

This is a good idea imo, but you should only be allowed to change it around once every two weeks maybe?
warpspeed wrote:Thinking about it, even if a character's name was changed, it would still be tied to the account. The price for changing the name could be expensive to discourage abuse, like for instance 100k GP or more. And the name change could be globally announced, like "x changed their name to y", that way it's known to everyone online at the time and in their chat logs.

Alternatively, rather than making it available to players through an NPC, it could be something GMs could do upon request, and still be globally announced (e.g. "x was renamed to y") for community awareness and evidence (or maybe optionally not to other players but still known to GMs if a player would need the name change to escape persistent abuse).

I understand that in any case, if the idea would be implemented, it would need to be done carefully. I think it could be useful though if there would be a way that players could get a name change for an existing character if they want a different name, rather than having to start a new character.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Octopus wrote:This is a good idea imo, but you should only be allowed to change it around once every two weeks maybe?
warpspeed wrote:Thinking about it, even if a character's name was changed, it would still be tied to the account. The price for changing the name could be expensive to discourage abuse, like for instance 100k GP or more. And the name change could be globally announced, like "x changed their name to y", that way it's known to everyone online at the time and in their chat logs.

To be honest i don't see what kind of problem it solves, but it introduces new ones. Why is this a sought after feature?
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
noog
Peon
Peon

Post by noog »

I think the reason behind players asking for name change is they realise good names after they have started playing their character. I would say make another character with the name you like and level it up.
Ginaria
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ginaria »

I would like a rename feature too, for example i got a male account at past of a player who left. His char has high level, so why delete it. But i dont like to use and play in his name.
I think many choose "crazy" name at beginning, so i can understand the wish for renaming.

There should be strict rules, so that nobody renaming a char each day, for example:
1.) Public list of renamed chars with date of change
2.) After renaming a char, the name will be fixed for 1 year
3.) No char renaming under level 50
4.) Cost of char renaming is level related, so at level 50 it costs 50k and at level 99 it costs 99k
5.) To rename char 2nd time, would multiply costs by 2
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

:o So strange. I was just thinking about this myself... I have a character named Testeron. He was a test character, just so I could see the changes made from the start of the game and it sounds a bit like testosterone ... which now seems more lame than when I made him :? . I kept him for bat wing trades. I leveled him to 40, just so I could use another character at Easter. Now I feel that I've invested some time in him, I realize the name is ... well, I don't like it. Then again he's only level 40, which would count me out of Ginaria's rule set, though my first though would be to level him to 50, so that rule wouldn't work. warpspeed had some great suggestions too.

From a a player's standpoint, I like the idea, so long as it is strict and multiple GM approved and posted and announced, etc.

From anyone on TMWC's standpoint... I figure it would just be best and simplest to not allow it, and more of a nuisance than anything.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

noog
Peon
Peon

Post by noog »

Ginaria wrote:I would like a rename feature too, for example i got a male account at past of a player who left. His char has high level, so why delete it. But i dont like to use and play in his name.
I think many choose "crazy" name at beginning, so i can understand the wish for renaming.

There should be strict rules, so that nobody renaming a char each day, for example:
1.) Public list of renamed chars with date of change
2.) After renaming a char, the name will be fixed for 1 year
3.) No char renaming under level 50
4.) Cost of char renaming is level related, so at level 50 it costs 50k and at level 99 it costs 99k
5.) To rename char 2nd time, would multiply costs by 2
+1