Maze (labyrinth)

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Maze (labyrinth)

Post by yosuhara »

Today a new idea came to my mind... What if we'll have a maze build up from stone walls or green hedge (something like garden mazes near castles or mansions). It could be a place for various events like maze-run (who got to the end first, wins something) or quests. Labyrinth can have more than a one entrance and it can be filled with traps, secret passages, etc... (can be very funny to explore if it will be large enough :) , but pain for mappers i think... )

Any other suggestions?
Luneenia
Peon
Peon

Post by Luneenia »

i think that it is a great idea! a mapper could make 'invisible' passages by putting walls and such in places a player could walk over....maybe it could be done for halloween?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

It needs to randomly change every day or something.Otherwise it's fun only once.
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think it wouldn't be that hard to make a scripted random maze now and then.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Ewahl
Peon
Peon

Post by Ewahl »

I think a maze could make for a fun dungeon. Or it could be made into a boss battle with a Minotaur at the end of the maze.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Ewahl wrote:I think a maze could make for a fun dungeon. Or it could be made into a boss battle with a Minotaur at the end of the maze.
*sigh*... why the cliche?
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Ewahl
Peon
Peon

Post by Ewahl »

Why not? How many video games can you name that have done this?
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Ewahl wrote:Why not? How many video games can you name that have done this?

That's not the point.It's clearly stated (Maybe not clearly but anyway.) that TMW will not use standard religious themes and will try to create its own mythology.
Besides it's boring.I wouldnt want to find my way through a maze just to find a minotaur at the end.I would feel cheated somehow.
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
Ewahl
Peon
Peon

Post by Ewahl »

Fine, I guess I see your point.

I still think there should be some sort of boss in or at the end of the maze though.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Ewahl wrote:I still think there should be some sort of boss in or at the end of the maze though.
We could have multiple maze-maps. Like a garden maze, just for fun. The gardener would just "cut it in a different shape" once in a while. And maybe some magic maze dungoens. Rocks magically shifting once in a while. Either just out of the players sight or some flashing (black or white) screen effect.
If we'll have instances it could just make a random dungoen for every player/party once it enters it, or every bunch of players entering within ten minutes. And we could do something like there's no exit until the boss is destroyed.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

maze can also contain some rare shops or unique items or passages to new villages...
Alderan
Novice
Novice

Post by Alderan »

There is a little problem, that client has current maps. If you regenerate garden maze, you have to distribute the map to all clients. And now my suggestion how to easily create "maze" with CURRENT client. And only a little addition/script/cron_program to the server. Imagine map that consits of many small caves where every cave has about 1-4 entrances. One is marked as entrance - everytime the same passage (it must be fixed because of map that would lead there). And connection between small cave entrances could be simply regenerated every night - only server know the connections so there would be even no chance for cheating.
The algorithm for generating the maze could be made easily. The only question I don't know if server is able to reload some map on the fly or needs restart.
If you want, I may create a sample cave maze and the maze generator program.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Or we can have a generator algorithm and just transfer the seed number for it?
This message used to be meaningful.
D2ARCHER
Novice
Novice

Post by D2ARCHER »

i have not liked this idea
D2ARCHER
7X Lvl Archer And Counting

D2MAXIMOS
XX Lvl AK Hibrid Stopped at moment ^^