Bot checking and no english words

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Bot checking and no english words

Post by dragoon84 »

Think about this:

GM contact a players for bot checking but the player don't understand english so how to resolve the problem??

Simple just ask that (he/she/ whatever the sex of the player is) he speak english / "hablas Ingles" / "Vous parlai anglais" (sorry for my bad french) and wait some time for him to use the translator program or webpage. This is a way to avoid unnecessary bans just because a language barrier.
omatt
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Bot checking and no english words

Post by omatt »

Then he has 2 minute for answer.
And during this 2 minutes, if he stop to hit mobs and say "sorry i don't speak english" or "no englis" (or whanever), GM can understand he is not afk boting.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

dragoon84 wrote:Think about this:

GM contact a players for bot checking but the player don't understand english so how to resolve the problem??

Simple just ask that (he/she/ whatever the sex of the player is) he speak english / "hablas Ingles" / "Vous parlai anglais" (sorry for my bad french) and wait some time for him to use the translator program or webpage. This is a way to avoid unnecessary bans just because a language barrier.
And then he/she/it only speaks Chinese... You can't try all languages until he/she/it understands it. Basically players should know that GM's have a different colored username, and that if they say their username they should respond. No matter if they understand the message or not. And with respond even a smiley and walking around the GM would probably work...
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

Don't usually bot checks begin with something as simple as hello ? I bet everyone can understand hello regardless of language.
I'm as cool and comforting as the porcelain tiles on your bathroom floor during an evening of vomiting.
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

omatt - it's not as simple as that for GMs. The problem is, people can set bots with automated responses, even ones like "hello [GM name]", "sorry, no englis", etc. The usual procedure is to get the player's attention, and then try to get them to show they are not a bot with a simple question, or request (please walk to the right, and then to the left, and stop). The goal is to avoid anything that players can be prepared for in advance, to have set up responses for the GMs.

It can be tough dealing with players who don't speak a common language with you, and this is more the case for GMs. What's worse, translation programs are often unreliable, and make communication a very lengthy frustrating process.

A lot of this can be avoided simply by having it made clear what players should do when approached by a GM. Unfortunately, many barely skim the rules when joining, so there will always be some who are confused when it happens.

Personally, I never minded giving some leeway during botchecks if players said they were using a translator or something that would slow their answers.

dragoon84: the only problem I see with what you wrote is this: What if the player doesn't understand when the GM says to "speak english"? I imagine most GMs won't know how to say "speak english" in every language. This means they would have to use something like google translate every time they want to identify an unfamiliar language, or communicate simple messages.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Post by dragoon84 »

That post was about the new players that don't understand english and because of that may be doing afk booting. try to put the rules in more languages after all we living in a global world :alt-3:
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

The game is an English-speaking game. I realise that not everybody speaks English, but a basic understanding of the language is extremely important for the full enjoyment of this game. The rules are written in simple and plain English that should be accessible with basic knowledge of the language. I agree with mrgrey. You can never include all languages, so you're better off choosing one and sticking with it. GMs will be patient with people who have poor English.

Also, look on the bright side, TMW allows many people to improve their English. I have seen people with terrible grammar improve a lot after a few years of TMW.

P.S.
Moving this thread to Feedback as it's not an abuse report.

TMW Team member