What is the reasoning behind only English in public chat?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Speiros
Novice
Novice
Location: Born in Candor, living as a nomad around Tulimshar and Woodland areas.

What is the reasoning behind only English in public chat?

Post by Speiros »

Greetings again fellow Manaworldians.

I am aware that this subject has arisen in the past, so I am asking now for the sake of the new game I guess, as well as the legacy one. It's a two-part question:

What is the reasoning behind the purpose of only having English in public chat? What are the advantages and the disadvantages?

I am aware that many of those on the game in all areas are from different backgrounds, but I am curious as to the actual reasons. I would like to discuss this if possible. I noticed a leaning towards being more tolerant of other languages (which I'm 100% for), for instance when the majority of players are from another language background, but I wonder what is the reason for it at all?
Last edited by Speiros on 02 Oct 2017, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
_

Let me help you understand pirate talk.
Arrrr!!! (The letter "R", and any other sentence or emotion imaginable, excepting the following ones); Arrrr!!! (angry "R"); Arrrr!!! (relaxed "Aaahh"); Arrrr!!! ("Man Overboard! Quick! Grab the ropes! Loosen the raft!"); Arrrr!!! ("What a lovely day! Sun shining..."); Arrrr!!! ("Oh no. Looks like more rain. Are our garments dry? Can we stop using them as a secondary sail yet?")
omatt
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: What is the reasoning behind only English in public chat

Post by omatt »

To be polite ?
If i talk french in general chat, it is disrespectful, because i use a language by high probability only me can understand.

But that not a guerrilla against other languages, because (for example) i'm in GY with a frenchie, we are only 2, so i think is not a problem if i talk french, because isn't disrespectful for anyone.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

When everybody speaks a different language it becomes a mess in the general chat. It leads to people not being able to understand most of what appears in the chat and groups forming of people who speak the same language. This prevents people from mixing with other players who speak different languages. The rule makes it so that we can all understand each other and therefore we can all talk to each other and meet new people. Those with bad English have an opportunity to learn it through immersion, the best way to learn a language; probably better than language lessons that one would pay money for.

TMW Team member

Speiros
Novice
Novice
Location: Born in Candor, living as a nomad around Tulimshar and Woodland areas.

Post by Speiros »

Thankyou omatt and WildX :)
_

Arrrr!!! (The letter "R", and any other sentence or emotion imaginable, excepting the following ones); Arrrr!!! (angry "R"); Arrrr!!! (relaxed "Aaahh"); Arrrr!!! ("Man Overboard! Quick! Grab the ropes! Loosen the raft!"); Arrrr!!! ("What a lovely day! Sun shining..."); Arrrr!!! ("Oh no. Looks like more rain. Are our garments dry? Can we stop using them as a secondary sail yet?")
Tirifto
Novice
Novice

Post by Tirifto »

Simply because this server targets an English-speaking community. Speaking a language can only be considered disrespectful if the people around don't speak it. But by that logic, the very same goes for English. So players who speak English are given a priority over those who don't; it's against the rules to cause misunderstanding for them, but it's okay for them to cause misunderstanding to others.

This policy is not morally wrong; the server administrators have the right to choose whom they are targeting. In our case it's players who speak English, so they get more privileges. If the administrators only wanted to target players who speak French, they would make French the only allowed language. If they wanted to target everyone, they would allow all languages.

(Note: Those who don't speak English are still welcome to play; they are simply not allowed to talk in public.)
WildX wrote:The rule makes it so that we can all understand each other and therefore we can all talk to each other and meet new people.
That is not true. The rule doesn't improve understanding in any way; it simply creates an ideal environment for those who speak English by silencing those who don't. The silenced people gain nothing from this rule; the English speakers get a noise-free chat.

(Note: The fact that people can learn English on the server is true and doesn't contradict anything I wrote above.)
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

1. You must choose one language in order to avoid chaos
2. English is the most popular language that the community has had in common since 2004
3. English is the language chosen for the rule

People who don't speak any English and wish to play on the server are encouraged to learn what they need, just like they would need to learn any other skill needed to play on the server that they didn't previously have. If they know some English but not well, they will be able to improve it and, in my experience, the community goes above and beyond to help them most of the time. If they encounter hostility or abuse they will be protected by the other rules just like everybody else.

TMW Team member

Tirifto
Novice
Novice

Post by Tirifto »

WildX wrote:1. You must choose one language in order to avoid chaos
2. English is the most popular language that the community has had in common since 2004
3. English is the language chosen for the rule
I disagree with point 1, and would appreciate some elaboration (like how is that avoiding chaos) if you'd like to discuss this point here. We agree on points 2 and 3, as they also support what I wrote.
WildX wrote:People who don't speak any English and wish to play on the server are encouraged to learn what they need, just like they would need to learn any other skill needed to play on the server that they didn't previously have. […]
Yes, and it would work the same with any other language, were it being enforced. However, I don't think the rule is necessary to have a functional server. I believe TMW-Br worked well without it, even though the main language was Portugese.
Speiros
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros »

Thanks also for your perspectives too, Tirifto.
_

prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

Being a GM, I can only police what I understand. I understand English.

If you allow other languages, my ability is greatly limited.

Having one common language, makes it much easier to Police!

Prsm
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
Speiros
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros »

Thanks too, Prsm. It is good to see the reasons that people have for why something is there as a requirement.
_