[LEGACY] Making changes that affect game balance

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[LEGACY] Making changes that affect game balance

Post by gumi »

If you would like to request a modification in the game (Legacy) that would affect game balance, please make a poll in this subsection. For changes in the new (unreleased) game please instead open an issue on GitLab.

This includes but is not limited to:
  • minimum level to do a quest
  • amount of items/gp required to do a quest
  • rewards for finishing a quest
  • amount of gp required to purchase an item from a shop
  • monster stats (hp, strength, defense, ...)
  • monster drop items and drop rates
  • item value, weight, stats
The procedure is similar to the one for electing GMs:

I will do my best to honor any reasonable request that meet those requirements:
  • the poll should be a simple yes/no question about a single topic. If you want to change many things please make more polls
  • the poll needs to have at least 15 votes
  • 69% or more of said votes (rounded upwards) must approve the motion. For the minimal threshold of 15 votes this means at least 11 in favor
  • the poll has to run for at least 30 days, to give everyone a chance to vote
Terms and conditions:
  • The minimal threshold of 15 votes may be increased or decreased at any time, depending on the amount of active players in-game.
  • If the requested change is not possible because of technical limitations in the game engine or client, the poll will be closed.
  • If the requested change would take an absurdly long amount of time to accomplish (ie: having to entirely rewrite a quest) the poll will be closed.
  • Any motion that passes the popular vote may still be vetoed by an administrator.
  • It is possible to revert a previously adopted motion by opening a new poll.
  • Sockpuppeting will be detected and all accounts, including the master's one will be banned forever without warning. There is one vote per person, and a person means a human being not a forum account.

I hope this brings more power in the hands of the community. :D

P.S.- for request that do not affect game balance, a simple majority is enough

===========
For reference, here is some ideas that I have heard over the past few months that could be made possible with a poll:
  • removing the towel system and bringing back the respawn-at-menhir system
  • making Kaizei (the snow continent) a high-level zone, with harder mobs and better rewards, to make it more attractive for players with level 80+
  • bringing back the old (2014) version of Tonori (the desert continent), or bringing back an even older version, with or without the land bridge
  • increasing the level cap beyong 99, or, from 99, allowing to start over from level 1 with a permanent stat buff
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Making changes that affect game balance

Post by gumi »

List of motions

18.001: making undead drops buyable [pending]
18.002: increasing the drop rate of crypt rewards [pending]
HaloNott

Re: [LEGACY] Making changes that affect game balance

Post by HaloNott »

Gumi!

I fixed everything! :mrgreen: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20748
Clort
Peon
Peon

Re: [LEGACY] Making changes that affect game balance

Post by Clort »

It's hard to be confident about what's appropriate.

I felt griding for Gingerbread Men took too long. I also felt grinding for Cobalt Herbs for dying blue clothes took too long, until i found a corner in the north that spawned lots of squirrels. Overall though it seems current quests take an appropriately long time, given there are not that many of them for the whole game.

Seems to me there could be meta-balancing based on number of achievable quests and items created if TMW quest and content development gets onto a growth path. If at some point TMW or branches would have 10x the number of questy things to do, and items available to obtain, there could be an overall automated reduction or scaling of ingredient requirements.

For example, for new significant quest or obtainable item, the total time-to-achieve of existing quests/items is reduced by 1/total_items. In other words:

updated_average_time_to_complete = old_average_time_to_complete * (old_total_num_of_things / new_total_num_of_things)

Just some of my thoughts. Probably not very insightful. Cheers.