[CS] No max level on the new server

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

fether
Peon
Peon

[CS] No max level on the new server

Post by fether »

Would it not be great to have no max level on the new server or at least make it very high so that it takes a couple of years or even more to reach ?
Pawneeboy
Novice
Novice

Re: [CS] No max level on the new server

Post by Pawneeboy »

I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) the current highest level that can be released is 127...

Of course Legacy's set to 99, and to go higher would (I think) require a lot of calculating
I'm John H., Tom Foolery, Dresden (not German), King Fisher, Clay, John Frost and Preacher. :alt-6: :alt-7:
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Pawneeboy wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 05:49 I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) the current highest level that can be released is 127...

Of course Legacy's set to 99, and to go higher would (I think) require a lot of calculating
The currently highest level on Evol2 servers seems to be 175.

This is defined in server-code/src/common/mmo.h and can be overwritten easily.

However, just for reference, Moubootaur Legends (another Evol2 server currently available on ManaPlus) is running for a year and three months, and thus far, nobody reached level 85 yet, so.........

...Max level could be 9 or even 999*, in the end, game design (exp per mob, exp per level, etc.) is what really matters.

*: Tested, I'm not lying, but this probably is not getting in unless every level give you +1 hp and you got 1 status point every 2 levels... (lag increased in 3 seconds btw)
Evol Online_Screenshot_127.0.0.1_2019-06-29_05-14-17_2.png
Evol Online_Screenshot_127.0.0.1_2019-06-29_05-14-17_2.png (748.44 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
In this picture, you can see Status Points broke the integer limiter, and exp for level up is almost at the fabled 2 billions where you cannot rise anymore because that's the highest integer which exists in programming... At this level, without stats and weapons, you can kill pinkies in two or three non-critical hits.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Pawneeboy
Novice
Novice

Post by Pawneeboy »

Ah ok, thanks for the info, I got stuck on the 127 number because I seem to recall someone telling me that above 127 weird things start to happen :D
I'm John H., Tom Foolery, Dresden (not German), King Fisher, Clay, John Frost and Preacher. :alt-6: :alt-7:
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Here is why I think we should have a low level cap (around 25):
  • Uncapped leveling will give people time to slowly grind their way to very high levels without enjoying actual fun content that they could level with instead of repeatedly killing the same stuff just to collect experience.
  • Those people reaching high levels will not get to enjoy the new content slowly added to the game which has to follow level progression for the sake of newer players of now and the future.
  • A level cap doesn't have to ruin the fun. There can still be cool stuff to do with a level cap of 25. There was a time when, for years, the main boss in TMW was JackO. The highest level players would make their way to the lonely JackO in the Hurnscald Mines and fight that over and over because it was the highest level content. If that worked at the time, we can do much better with a lvl 25 cap, with more and better mobs in the JackO range of strength or below that can still be really fun to defeat and would require people to group up in raids just as if they were lvl 90+ in Legacy.
  • BALANCE. We're really trying to use this new server as an opportunity to carefully manage game balance. Uncapped leveling will result in broken PvP before PvP is even introduced.
In short, I think it would be a quick reward that would get boring soon anyway. I think it's better to have patience and let us design a fun game based on our past experience with many years of TMW.

TMW Team member