[WIP] Monk Starter Quest

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

SpeedDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[WIP] Monk Starter Quest

Post by SpeedDuck »

I was thinking that this might be a good addition for the Hercules server. My idea is that there would be a bald NPC in an orange robe called The Monk or just Monk located somewhere in either Tulimshar or Argeas, as he'd have to be easily accessible for new players.

When you talk to him, he would tell you that he'd come from a far off monastery to save people's souls from the corruptive powers of magic and evil. He would then inform you that his plan is to teach people about monk-hood and the holy (or something else) powers of light and goodness. Then, he would ask if you were interested in learning from him.

If you say yes, he would take out the Book (need name for this) and then lead you through an oath that you would stand true to the teachings of the Book and stand up for those in need. After that, he would shave your head and give you a copy of the Book. He would then tell you that to continue your training, you must prove yourself. He informs you that you must bring him [X number and type of items] and do as much good among the villagers as you can.

You must then gather these items and complete some other quests where you perform acts of kindness (like rescuing the girl's father from the sewer or gather claws to pull spikes out of the elf girl's feet). When you've done all of this, you return to the Monk with the items. He is impressed by all of your good deeds and begins to train you. It is tiring, but at the end you feel an enlightenment and calm that you have never felt before. Then you gain some XP and the Unarmed Fighting Skill (This would also need to be created).

At a later level, you could return to the Monk who would give you directions to the monastery where quests for unarmed fighter equipment could be located.
Join the Duck Side!

SpeedDuck -> dangerDuck -> TinyToes -> Vladimir Putin -> LeggoLass -> Calithildor_Elderon
+seeds
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] Monk Starter Quest

Post by +seeds »

This seems like more of a discussion topic to me... :?
The monastery could be located somewhere in the hills of Hurnscald, and some of the items could be drops from evil or magical creatures, like Evil Mushrooms and Jack O's.
I could try and build a book graphic for this quest if you'd like :D
Characters: +seeds, +plants, +roots, +leaves, many others :alt-3:
Live long and prosper :wink:
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

TMW-BR Monk
brmonk.png
brmonk.png (1.46 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
Also, you get unarmed fighting skill as early as Legion Training Hall, still in Artis.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

SpeedDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by SpeedDuck »

I didn't realize the skill had already been implemented. Perhaps a monastery could still be created?
Join the Duck Side!

SpeedDuck -> dangerDuck -> TinyToes -> Vladimir Putin -> LeggoLass -> Calithildor_Elderon
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

SpeedDuck wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 23:48 I didn't realize the skill had already been implemented. Perhaps a monastery could still be created?
WHAT, unarmed fighting is a style of life, not something as simple as a skill!

will need to convert SpeedDuck to right path...

Welcome... to The Mana World. A world where everything is possible. (in theory at least, issue will be getting mappers and tilesets)

Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

SpeedDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by SpeedDuck »

jesusalva wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 19:22 WHAT, unarmed fighting is a style of life, not something as simple as a skill!
What does unarmed fighting do?
Join the Duck Side!

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

SpeedDuck wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 20:07
jesusalva wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 19:22 WHAT, unarmed fighting is a style of life, not something as simple as a skill!
What does unarmed fighting do?
Albeit Micksha might explain better, you must understand, weapons were created for the weak, in an attempt to attain strength. Weapons, however, only provide a weak, fake strength, unequip the weapon and then it is gone.

True strength doesn't comes from tools, it comes from the inside of our soul. Focus and Discipline. Real strength is manifested, by not using weapons at all. With our fists and techniques, we can evade any attack, and you, with layers or steel or thousands of magic, will die knowing no weapon was required to defeat you, because that power was never your in first place, you took it from a tool.

Unarmed Fighting is not a “oh noes I forgot my weapon in my house, gotta use my fists”.
Unarmed Fighting is a decision. It is the abdication of weapons at all, acknowledging they are only tools which may lend you their strength, but will never give you any real strength.

About mages: They take their strength from mana and from consumables, if they're cornered they cannot do anything to defend themselves (other than shout #words in hope it works in time). They are also only borrowing strength from Mana.
This is also an illusion of what true strength really is.

Believe your potential.
Throw away your weapons and wands.
Sit with us and meditate.
Drain the power from inside, instead of borrowing it from artifacts or tools.
Believe your potential.
Believe yourself.

Join... Please insert here the unarmed clan name, WildX, I forgot.

Note: This is a fictional text, and may NOT reflect what unarmed fighting will really look like once fully implemented, serving only for illustration purposes.

SpeedDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by SpeedDuck »

So, unarmed fighters will probably not be able to use most (or any) weapons and magic spells. Similar to how light and dark magic paths work in the Legacy server.

Unarmed fighters could also gain bonuses to speed, accuracy, damage, and health if they have a certain ratio, like 3:1, between two different stats, like agility and dexterity. That might accurately reflect using your Inner Strength, Focus, and Discipline.

[Edit 08:42:00]
I'd be interested in helping to test out Unarmed Fighting, if you need testers.
Join the Duck Side!