Monster Points observation...

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

jvroig
Peon
Peon

Monster Points observation...

Post by jvroig »

Hi.

I just discovered The Mana World about two weeks ago because I stuffed my linux install with most of the games there.

So far, I played The Mana World for a total of more or less 20-30 hours. My character is named Blackstorm, last night I got to level 30 before logging off. Black scorpions, evil mushrooms, giant maggots still kick my ass with considerable ease, but at least I am nearly invulnerable to bats, spiked mushrooms, fluffy, and the like. (I'm still such a dork though that the purple flowers kick my ass... OMG, i don't know how to tell my friends that a flower can kick my ass effortlessly).

Anyway, I think Platyna already mentioned that not all monsters give Monster Points (and clearly stated it is not a bug), so I decided to keep track somewhat. So far, what I observed is this:
Creatures I killed with Monster Points:
1. Maggot - 1 monster point each
2. Scorpions (regular scorpions) - 2 monster points each

Creatures I killed with NO monster points:
1. Bats (in the bat cave with the hermit)
2. Spiked Mushroom - killed a ton of these to level up fast, definitely no monster points

Creatures I killed a few and seems to have no monster points as well (not sure, though)
1. Fluffy - I'm not sure because I killed only a few, but I think they have no points as well
2. Rudolph slime
3. Lamp (or cave) snake

Can anybody confirm these? Perhaps one of the admins? There was no information on the wiki monster reference about monster points, so I had to ask here.

Thanks, you guys rock!
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I'm pretty sure only the maggots, scorpions and fire goblins in Tulimshar gain you monster points.

For the ultimate reference, see the script file that defines the gaining of monster points:
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/thema ... iew=markup
jvroig
Peon
Peon

Post by jvroig »

Matt wrote:You played ~14 hours. ;)
Cool. I knew it must have been closer to 20, but when logging in is separated into several days, there's no way I could have said "I've played for about 13.567 hours" :D So i just guesstimated based on the days I knew Mana World and made the effort to login, especially through our office firewall (which evidently will never work until I hijack the ports, hahaha)
I'm pretty sure only the maggots, scorpions and fire goblins in Tulimshar gain you monster points.
Actually yeah, I kinda guessed as much. Although the fire goblins don't give points as well. I'm amazed some people have accumulated 300,000 monster points (as they said themselves) because that means a bulk of their time was spent killing 300K maggots or 150K scorpions inside tulimshar instead of killing evil shrooms or other higher-level prey or in cooler locations.

Anyhoo, thanks guys!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Well, some people have just too much free time to spend on simple graphic engine demos. Time they could invest into learning useful skills and help to turn tmw into the game it is supposed to be.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
CurtisMJun
Novice
Novice

Post by CurtisMJun »

The desert cave monsters give you monster points...thats where i have gotten all of mine.
CurtisJ in-game
lvl 69 archer and increasing :)
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

CurtisMJun wrote:The desert cave monsters give you monster points...thats where i have gotten all of mine.
Ah, you are right indeed. Black scorpions will give you 45 monster points, while the spiders on cave level 2 even give you 56 points. The slimes there also get you some.
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

>.>

Post by Bear »

Please take off the whole *Monster Point* system and make your own. I intentionally gave the monster point system for the Old The Mana World, when everything wasn't retarded.

Please just think of your own system to work with and plase replace the current monster points system.

-Bear
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

And how is the current The Mana World different from the "old The Mana World" you're talking about, aside there just being more different monsters, items, maps, etc.? Specifically, why is everything now retarded?

Of course the monster points system could be improved or replaced by something that would make more sense, but well, everything in due time. I see no reason to take it off as long as there isn't anything better around.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I would suggest to have the option to change 10 MonsterPoint for 1 gold (but at once not one by one that would take me hours..)
kaneimada
Peon
Peon

What the...?!

Post by kaneimada »

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Bear. I watched the Mana World very slowly progress when it was new, back when the game was in its potential stage to becoming what was hoped to be something like Secret of Mana, but online. The Mana world has gone into a direction where it's neither retained the essence of the original idea, nor is it capable of competing with any modern *free* MMORPs.

Bear created the monster point system for TMW when it was going in the direction in which it was intended for, but now TMW is turning into just "Some 2D MMORPG." It seems he wants to remove his idea from the project because its turning into he doesn't like. If that's the case, I believe the point system should be removed then. You said there's nothing better than the point system right?

I would hate to have something that I created being used in something that I greatly disliked. (Which is exactly Bears case.)

A suggestion would be to just do what Bear said and create your own entirly new system.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

but now TMW is turning into just "Some 2D MMORPG."
Nothing changed, tmw still uses eathena. I think we should wait what happens when we change to tmwserv.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Re: What the...?!

Post by yosuhara »

kaneimada wrote:I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Bear. I watched the Mana World very slowly progress when it was new, back when the game was in its potential stage to becoming what was hoped to be something like Secret of Mana, but online. The Mana world has gone into a direction where it's neither retained the essence of the original idea, nor is it capable of competing with any modern *free* MMORPs.

Bear created the monster point system for TMW when it was going in the direction in which it was intended for, but now TMW is turning into just "Some 2D MMORPG." It seems he wants to remove his idea from the project because its turning into he doesn't like. If that's the case, I believe the point system should be removed then. You said there's nothing better than the point system right?

I would hate to have something that I created being used in something that I greatly disliked. (Which is exactly Bears case.)

A suggestion would be to just do what Bear said and create your own entirly new system.
i really don't give a Chocolate Cupcake whether TMW is based on Secret of mana or not..
i like the way it is now and i never played SOM...
kaneimada
Peon
Peon

You don't get it.

Post by kaneimada »

"i really don't give a **** whether TMW is based on Secret of mana or not..
i like the way it is now and i never played SOM..."

I don't give a **** if you give a **** if this game is based off SOM or not. You missed my point entirely in my last post. My point was I believe Bears monster point system should be remove because Bear created it, and no longer wants it a part of TMW.
kaneimada
Peon
Peon

Post by kaneimada »

"Nothing changed, tmw still uses eathena. I think we should wait what happens when we change to tmwserv."

That's not entirely true. The graphics changed, and TMW now looks almost completely different from what it was before. Look up some old pictures and compare them to TMW now. Sprites and Chip Sets are diffrent.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I don't have anything against "hires"graphics, i like them better than the graphics in tmw 0.0.7 (first release i "played")

AFAIK tmw should be like SoM in terms of battle systems, etc...