Server Queuing

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Server Queuing

Post by Dr Wahl »

I'm not sure if this is already something that is in place, as we have no need for it (nor will we for some time I imagine), but the server should be able to support queuing for logins. A great example of a system that did an absolute terrible job of this is SilkRoad Online. I don't feel that I need to get into too much detail, but pretty much you just keep clicking the login button until you happen to click it just as some one logs out. In order for them to fix this, they had to do some major work to the server code. The TMW server should be in a state that adding a feature such as login queuing should not be a huge task.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Limiting the number of users online is currently not planned. But when we ever do so I think a waiting queue would be better than just rejecting users when the sever is full. The latter would result in people hammering the already overloaded server with connect requests and thus make the situation even worse.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

Agreed. Is the server software currently capable of doing this? Or would it be a simple modification in oder to implement it? I just dont want to see TMW end up in a situation similar to SilkRoad, where the server has to go under major surgery in order to offer a crowded population solution.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

This would have to be done to implement a waiting queue
-Instead of sending the connected clients directly from the authentication phase to the char select phase place them in a queue
-Get the number of total users online by querrying each game server at regular intervals and add the people currently in the char select phase on the account server
-Send (maxUsers - currentUsers) clients from the waiting queue into the char select phase
-Send a notification about the place in queue to the clients in queue at regular intervals and the necessary client-sided gui stuff to show this information to the player. Check connectivity from time to time and kick disconnected clients out of the queue.

Not really rocket science. Could be done in one night of programming.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.