a couple of map suggestions ...

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

zick
Novice
Novice

a couple of map suggestions ...

Post by zick »

1) one thing i have always disliked about oldschool rpg's is what i call the dr. who effect. you have a tiny phone booth on the map that you can enter, and upon doing so you realize its got all of wrigley field inside of it. this is achieved by making one map link to another map through a doorway of somekind, or using two maps to describe what really should be one map. i think tmw would look better if buildings on a map actually take up the actual amount of space inside, and maybe use a removable overlayer in the form of a roof that is toggled upon opening the door. makes things look more realistic. this good for single or double-story (second floor is toggled via steps) houses/shops, but not so good for large towers or castles. those should still be seperate maps.

2) scrolling between maps ... i think it be cool to see an nes zelda style scroll between maps with a circular wipe whenever you enter a dungeon or castle or something other than an overland map

3) maybe a banner of somekind that can be displayed with the name of the area that you just entered. you know things like "Silk Road East" or "Emerald Valley"
LEG0LAS
Warrior
Warrior

Post by LEG0LAS »

Hmm, not a bad idea.
I don't know anything about map or server building, in my newb imagination I think this is much harder to make, and even harder to make in this "test server stage"(thats how I call it).
LEG0LAS + Bow = 100arrows/s
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I don't really agree with your first point (we've at some point decided that realism isn't so important here), but I agree map transitions could be improved and banners showing where you are would be nice.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

That circular wipe from zelda might be oldschool, but I think we can do better with using some modern technique.

How about using some openGL 3d magic? We could make the whole scene rotate away and the new scene rotate back in? Or zoom in an out Final Fantasy style?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

with the current mapping system do you think you are able to hide the inside of a house with a toggleable roof layer ... whether the mana world is going to use the idea?

i've been eyeing up this project for awhile ... a lot of my ideas stem from things that i'd like to put into my own mmo, which i would use your system to build (because you're really the only open source mmo that's aim is old school). so while i'll gladly help with small things that i think i can accomplish for this project my real goal is to fork this once you're stable. so could this feature be something that is added whether or not it is used by tmw.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

zick wrote:with the current mapping system do you think you are able to hide the inside of a house with a toggleable roof layer ... whether the mana world is going to use the idea?

i've been eyeing up this project for awhile ... a lot of my ideas stem from things that i'd like to put into my own mmo, which i would use your system to build (because you're really the only open source mmo that's aim is old school). so while i'll gladly help with small things that i think i can accomplish for this project my real goal is to fork this once you're stable. so could this feature be something that is added whether or not it is used by tmw.
Definitely a possibility. Maybe you will implement this?
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

i'm not sure if my programming skills are up to speed enough to add this. i am more of a scripter ... i could do it though if you've created somesort of object attribute like object.visibility=true/false, like actionscript (for flash) uses.