PvP - Player vs. Player

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I was just alerted to a system I was unaware of by a friend, that might be good to try. In World of Warcraft, players choose between three kinds of server: normal, PvP, and RP. The only difference between normal and RP is in how players are allowed to talk, so that's not really important, but having separate servers for PvP and normal play might be a good idea. I'm just really on the side of the n00b in this one; I've had far too many games ruined by n00b hunters who just hound you over and over (and make sure to take all your gear and money when you die), and you know that in a free game there's going to be a lot of that kind of person. Even having set PvP areas within a server can be a problem, since n00bs often don't know the setup. I'll agree that people being irritating with spam and such (as in Ragnarok) can be a hassle, but the vast majority of that is botting, which I imagine can be disallowed, yes?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Mmmh having a server only for PvP will mean having another server. Remeber we are a free project so we don't have lot of money to invest on renting servers, we will need more in the future when the world will grow and we'll find a way of free hosting.

Can we disallow botting? We'll try to do our best, every good player hates bots.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Ah, hadn't thought about that. One of those things that the ones not actually running the game tend to overlook.

Ah, well. Perhaps an idea for the future, then.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I'm with Rotonen in that large PvP battles should be allowed, but I'm with the n00b in that PvP should still be voluntarily, either by agreeing to fight (you can do this temporarily in World of Warcraft, when two players do it, you can fight eachother) or by entering a hostile area like a "warzone", an arena, and maybe we can have some nobody-land areas where there are no laws and PvP isn't punished like it could be in the regular provinces.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

and maybe we can have some nobody-land areas where there are no laws and PvP isn't punished like it could be in the regular provinces.
whoaa great idea ^^

btw .. would it be possible to make a small place (which is marked as) on our current server where pvp is allowed ??
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

RE"

Post by Bear »

This is what i think, PVP should have Arenas where there are Rules and Arenas where there arent, also Guild Wars should have many rules... the thing about multiple servers, like elven said we dont have the $$ for it. BUT the part about the Monster VS Player bet thingy, im pretty sure it can be done.

There should be PVP Events too ^ ^
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

we shouldnt have different server .. even if we would have the money .. i dislike the idea
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Well, if the game ever gets to be decently popular, a second server will be necessary. I just figured that it would make for an easy distinction, and be nice for those such as myself, who don't really like PvP even when I'm winning.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

I had an interesting idea for PvP recently.

Everyone has a PvP flag that is up or down, accepting or declining challenges. If your PvP flag is down and a PK attacks you, the PK gets bounty points. Players with bounty points can be hunted by other players for a reward, much like criminals in life are.

Reward would be based on the number of bounty points a player has aquired, and bounty points would go down each time that player is killed by another player.

Players with bounties always have the PvP flag up, other players can turn it on and off at will (as long as they are not currently being attacked. A Timer that counts the amount of time since a player was last attacked could be implemented to keep track of whether a player is in battle or not.)

This system lets players PvP if they want, but also PK if they feel they can take the risks involved. It also allows villains to appear as player characters, which is a fun twist few MMORPGs have.
imorgado
Novice
Novice

Post by imorgado »

Elven Programmer wrote:You become a criminal by dieing? That's crazy.
No.. you will be criminal kinning another player or doing criminal acts as staling something (think about ultima 4 virtues)
imorgado
Novice
Novice

Post by imorgado »

maci wrote:well i dun like the idea permanently marking ppl as someone/something.

hmm
We should support pvp everytime,
i agree .. even with that everytime.. but i wouldnt agree with everywhere ;)
Yeah.. should exists safezones (safe guarded by soldiers, knights et al)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Bjørn wrote:I'm with Rotonen in that large PvP battles should be allowed, but I'm with the n00b in that PvP should still be voluntarily, either by agreeing to fight (you can do this temporarily in World of Warcraft, when two players do it, you can fight eachother) or by entering a hostile area like a "warzone", an arena, and maybe we can have some nobody-land areas where there are no laws and PvP isn't punished like it could be in the regular provinces.
But depending on the results of the battles the warzones should shift and move accordingly and ultimately they could even reach the cities. Think about the rules of american football and you'll get what I have in mind for the interkingdom wars.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Well that's fine, they'd still have the freedom to just walk away from it. And if there is no place to go, they're all doomed! Muhahaha! Equip your white flag, your base belongs to us now!
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

That seems difficult to implement from a technical standpoint... Specific battlefields are easy enough to do, but moving boundaries are far harder. You run into problems like: what happens when a kingdom runs out of territory altogether? Before we start working on this, we're going to need the complete world map anyway.

Also, hostile political systems like that can make player characters who don't want to be caught up in the wars uncomfortable outside of their home countries. Just a thought.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Well I was thinking about that too at one point, but the defences of the capital cities could or should be made invincible with npc monsters protecting the city. In a way that the defending players would still feel like they defended their own city. The attacker would take a LOT of loot from the city as a peace offering depending on the time they managed to keep up the siege. So there'd be a point in the attacking/defending scheme. Look for information about Helbreath, it had a similar war system.