What type of trading system to implement?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Which do you prefer?

Current (Player to Player)
14%
Auction (Database full of items users have posted)
32%
Stalls (Players create their own mobile stores)
36%
Other (Suggestions)
18%

Total votes: 28
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

What type of trading system to implement?

Post by Dr Wahl »

It has come to my attention that not much has been discussed about the trading system. I do not foresee the trading system we currently have being sufficient in the long run. I have suggested a few options, but would like to see what the community would like to see before any formal proposal is made.

Wiki about the Trade System: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Trade
ae4ji
Peon
Peon

Post by ae4ji »

Please indicate why current trading system isn't sufficient.
ae4ji
Peon
Peon

Post by ae4ji »

Does auction mean highest bid or set price?
KiRiL
Peon
Peon

Post by KiRiL »

My proposal - both variants: player-to-payer as now, and you can buy/rent shop, where you can set price for your goods...
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'm a fan of auctions.
This message used to be meaningful.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

I say both player to player and auction.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I'm all for PtP and Stalls
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I am quite a fan of the stall system. It makes the towns populated. The problem that you have to stay logged in could be solved easily by keeping your shop open even when you log out. But when doing that some areas would become extremely crowded.

There is also another system that I've seen in a couple of games and found quite comfortable. You give your stuff to an NPC trader and set a price and the NPC offers it for you. That way you can even sell stuff while adventuring or being offline and it makes the market very transparent because you can see who sells what for how much at first glance.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

I would go with all of the above systems.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Falcata wrote:I would go with all of the above systems.
I agree. A little variety and choice would be good. Having them all available gives plenty of choice. The auction system could replace Crush's P2NPC system for off line trading/selling, leaving the stalls for online trading/selling. And P2P trading should definitely stay in the game.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

How about this: A managed stall system.

Every marketplace in the game has a fixed number of stalls that have to be rented from the marketplace manager. Players who are interested in owning a stall for a limited time period can decide how much rent they want to pay. The stalls go to the players who are willing to pay the most.

The manager NPC can be found near every marketplace. Players who are interested in owning a stall can deposite the rent they are willing to pay. The stalls are redistributed every week to the players who deposited the most money. Those who didn't deposite enough can reclaim their money from the manager. A list with the rents the current stall owners are paying is public so that people know the average price level.

I expect that the stall prices in popular cities will be much higher than the prices in less popular ones. It could also motivate people to share stalls with others to save rent.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:How about this: A managed stall system.

Every marketplace in the game has a fixed number of stalls that have to be rented from the marketplace manager. Players who are interested in owning a stall for a limited time period can decide how much rent they want to pay. The stalls go to the players who are willing to pay the most.

The manager NPC can be found near every marketplace. Players who are interested in owning a stall can deposite the rent they are willing to pay. The stalls are redistributed every week to the players who deposited the most money. Those who didn't deposite enough can reclaim their money from the manager. A list with the rents the current stall owners are paying is public so that people know the average price level.

I expect that the stall prices in popular cities will be much higher than the prices in less popular ones. It could also motivate people to share stalls with others to save rent.
Due to how expensive the stalls are and how hard it can be to get one, each stall should come with an NPC thats sells for you when you're off line so each owner gets as much out of it as possible.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Yes, that's the intention. You can offer wares in your stall even when you are offline.
  • NOT a game master

Trinexx
Peon
Peon

Post by Trinexx »

Crush wrote:There is also another system that I've seen in a couple of games and found quite comfortable. You give your stuff to an NPC trader and set a price and the NPC offers it for you. That way you can even sell stuff while adventuring or being offline and it makes the market very transparent because you can see who sells what for how much at first glance.
TMW seems to be turning into a UO clone :P
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

combination of all possibilities