I have a dream!

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Len
Knight
Knight

I have a dream!

Post by Len »

I Dream of a day when TMW might see
· Animated tiles (simmering water, moving grass and bushes)
· Birds/bugs flying around (maybe even a hot air balloon)
· NPC that walk around
· Location based sounds (such as bullfrogs near water)
. Epic sized monsters
But I know that day will not come till the new server is released (I also know that some have already been talked about)

Whats your vision for the future of TMW :idea:
Pixel Battalion
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I wonder how your dreams are the same as mines :wink:

Animated tiles: that's always been one the first things I added to my old rpgs. I'm always pushing for them since I think they could add a lot with little effort.

Birds/bugs: they could already be added by means of overlay images and particles, at least I know of Pajarico attempting to add birds by overlay and Crush adding bees by particles. They're still limited since as far as I know the overlay effect doesn't support random movements (Crush, correct me if I'm wrong)

Location based sounds: yep that's already been discussed. With the current SDL_Mixer support and object groups on maps it should definitely be possible, it is just a matter of time in my opinion.

Epic sized monsters: again that should already be possible, since the graphic engine should render them correctly, what would be weird is that their area will still be one tile. IIRC you made one big boss we could test with.
Eliott
Peon
Peon

Post by Eliott »

in my dream, i can see footprints when i walk on the sand or the snow ;)
th¦$_¦$_m¥_DARK_$¦de
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

My dream:

* Finish the temple (map), Bitan (boss) and Kephera (monster) (by my self)

* A good volunteer tilemapper that can help me with that (I'm stupid tiling)

* More than 45 deg. from top views (like camera control) so I can create
landscapes and other things I have in mind (It is just a dream, please don't create a thread just to discuss this I know is impossible)

* Smalls videos insertions or something like that

*Get 100 years working in TMW

EDIT : get platyna's love
plz don't kill me
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

AxlTrozz wrote: EDIT : get platyna's love
plz don't kill me
We all want that :/
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

hey all
Birds/bugs flying around
ill have also been trying to make some fish useing particles, but its to hard to do right now
A good volunteer tilemapper that can help me with that (I'm stupid tiling)
ill like to help you, just give me the tileset and i will try to make some sample maps for you.

the map im working on now (almost done now)

link

hope i can help you AxlTrozz
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

@eliott
an idea i had was for some tile-based commands that are placed on each tile. one of these commands would swap a tile's image with another image when it's stepped on (like that tile with footprints in it). another would be to change the fringe layer's image (so grass that grows up over your toes will move when you step on the tile).
Eliott
Peon
Peon

Post by Eliott »

good idea, zick. the game would be more realistic.
it remains to draw the footsteps an the grass :)
th¦$_¦$_m¥_DARK_$¦de
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

This could possibly be done as a particle effect (with the root particle following the player and spawning stationary foot print particles).
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

ElvenProgrammer wrote: Birds/bugs: they could already be added by means of overlay images and particles, at least I know of Pajarico attempting to add birds by overlay and Crush adding bees by particles. They're still limited since as far as I know the overlay effect doesn't support random movements (Crush, correct me if I'm wrong)
For the birds layout image check here. Unfortunately i didn't manage it to load when the map appears. Don't know why, the overlay values in the tmx were correctly introduced. I would appreciate someone to try it.

Althought right now there is no way to make them scroll once in a while. It will scroll continuosly.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Pajarico wrote:
ElvenProgrammer wrote: Birds/bugs: they could already be added by means of overlay images and particles, at least I know of Pajarico attempting to add birds by overlay and Crush adding bees by particles. They're still limited since as far as I know the overlay effect doesn't support random movements (Crush, correct me if I'm wrong)
For the birds layout image check here. Unfortunately i didn't manage it to load when the map appears. Don't know why, the overlay values in the tmx were correctly introduced. I would appreciate someone to try it.

Althought right now there is no way to make them scroll once in a while. It will scroll continuosly.
What are the values you used? To increase the timeout of the scrolling, make the image larger.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Well, I don't remember. I couldn't test it because it didn't load even with the correct path pointing to the file.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Pajarico wrote: Unfortunately i didn't manage it to load when the map appears. Don't know why, the overlay values in the tmx were correctly introduced. I would appreciate someone to try it.
It is possible that you started TMW without the parameter -u. When you don't do that the updates override any local file changes. But this is just a guess. It is also possible that you did an error when editing the map properties. Impossible to tell without seeing your map file.
As a little hack you could use a really large image as an overlay with one swarm of birds on it somewhere. It will look as if the swarm appears quite randomly. Would waste a lot of video memory though.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I added your bird overlay to the tulimshar map and made a custom data archive for it. Put it into ~/.tmw/customdata/ (UNIX) or C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\.tmw\customdata (Windows) and it will replace the tulimshar map (this will work without any command line parameters). http://www.crushnet.org/TempFiles/tmw/b ... imshar.zip

It looks quite good so far. It doesn't really fit the ambient of Tulimshar but I think it would look quite cool for the new trade city. I am just asking myself where the birds are that cast the shadows. I think it would look much better when the birds themself would be on the overlay image, too (remember: the sun is in the southwest) .
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Thanks for trying. I can't check what went wrong because I already deleted my custom map. For what I remember it was pretty similar to what you did.

However this was intended for the forest.
I am just asking myself where the birds are that cast the shadows.
I know. The current perspective is wrong. It needs to take into account that the light source is above, somewhere on the SW. I've the SVG so changing this is a matter of minutes.
I think it would look much better when the birds themself would be on the overlay image, too (remember: the sun is in the southwest) .
I agree. But this should be done with the particle engine better. Because that way they can be animated. I wonder if using the particle engine will render the birds above evreything.