Minigames

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

What do you like most about minigames?

Getting away from simply fighting mobs.
54%
Getting cool prizes that help me fight mobs better.
23%
Meeting friends and making rivalries.
15%
I hate minigames. We should only fight, just like real life.
8%

Total votes: 13
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Minigames

Post by Kyokai »

I like minigames.
Most gamers like minigames.
We need minigames in TMW.

Please give me some minigame ideas:
http://themanaworld.sourceforge.net/wiki/?Minigames

These won't be implemented for awhile, but it's nice to start collecting some input.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Sadly, there was no option:

"I don't see the need for minigames, the game should be versatile enough without."

The closest I found was to hate minigames, and to resort only to fighting. This I chose, but it's still quite far from the above answer.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Bjørn wrote:Sadly, there was no option:

"I don't see the need for minigames, the game should be versatile enough without."

The closest I found was to hate minigames, and to resort only to fighting. This I chose, but it's still quite far from the above answer.
You don't have to worry about that, Bjorn. If we have minigames, I'll make sure they are in addition to actual gameplay, rather than in place of it. Minigames won't be required for being a good TMW player, they're there to give diversion and augment the realism of a diverse world.
pyrodragon
Peon
Peon

Pros and Contras of Minigames

Post by pyrodragon »

In my opinion there are several reasons pro mini games and contra.

pro
--------
- you have something else to do but slaying down monsters
- maybe there will be prices for minigames
- may be nice for players which have already seen all parts of the game to keep them playing

contra
----------
- if there is a plot and enough to do in the world, minigames are just nice addons
- if there are prices for minigames they should not be too game relevant nor be 'super' items
(that may frustrate players that are simply not good in that specific minigame)
- somebody has to code the minigames and that consumes time
- the subgames must fit in the context of the game and of course be worth playing them

so that are just a few points i could brainstorm within a minute, i hope it'll be helpful
So far..
pyr0
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I cannot vote in this, but I'm pro minigames. (Why cannot I vote? Because there are no reasonable options, a simple yes/no vote would've been better...)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Having minigames could be seen as solving quests in Zelda (N64 version). I probably like the idea of having a shooting game (with your bow) to win some prizes. Maybe we can have a map with an amusement park where you can join a couple of these games.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

And the minigames have to be 100% skillbased, so stats and such won't have any effect on them..
pyrodragon
Peon
Peon

Post by pyrodragon »

Maybe we can have a map with an amusement park where you can join a couple of these games.
That is a good idea.
It might be harmful to the gameplay to integrate those minigames too deeply into the game.

And the minigames have to be 100% skillbased
If you mean by this based on the skill in that specific game I'd agree. Otherwise I'd disagree the skill system should be not affected by minimgames they should make extra fun and not be part of the 'normal' gameflow in my opinion.

So far...
pyr0
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I like the idea of minigames, and fully agree that they have to be completely removed from the main game (as in, the way you've built your character has nothing to do with it). Simple arcade/carnival-style games in appropriate areas would be fun.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Quite right, Pyro, Talaroc. I think that makes alot of sense.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Yeah, what I meant about the "100% skillbased" was that the players' other achievements in the game should NOT affect the minigame, instead the skill of the player itself (ie. finger dexterity, eye-hand coordination and such) should be the main factor.
Magick
Novice
Novice

Post by Magick »

I agree with rotonen we dont want the level of a player effect how well he does on the mini game. That would just give the people that have played longer the uper hand.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

How about a collectible card game, like Xenosaga, FFVIII, and such had? I've got alot of experience in making these. I'd like to put one in TMW.
View the Systems
Magick
Novice
Novice

Post by Magick »

Sounds good...i could create some "event items" wich could be a X and a O and if you made an event area map you could may a tic tac to board and the players could drop the X's and O's on the square and play tic-tac-toe
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

haha, maybe if you got the graphics. I think most minigames will take place in a controlled environment or a window, rather than on the world map.
View the Systems