Different playable races in TMW? (Elf, Dwarf, etc.)

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

yanom
Peon
Peon

Different playable races in TMW? (Elf, Dwarf, etc.)

Post by yanom »

Did anyone think about adding different races, like elves or dwaves*?

They could be added as genders, so the gender sellection on the charachter creation would not be just Male or Female, but somewhat like this

()Male human
()Female human
()Male dwarf*
()Female dwarf*
()Male elf
()Female elf

And we could add other races also. I have some ideas for some really new and innovative races like sentient mushroom** if anyone wants them.

*Dwarves would be just human sprites with shorter torosos, so they could wear human equipment but the shirts would be longer looking. They would be mabye 15-20 pixels shorter.
** Just kidding! But I do have some ideas for races I'm serious about.

Anyone think this
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Different playable races in TMW? (Elf, Dwarf, etc.)

Post by Crush »

The standard tolkien race setup? How cliché...

We already came up with our own races: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Races
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Regardless, I think it would be cool to someday see a TMW, Tolkien / Gygax-clone.. just not the default server.. as clichéd as it might be, people can still enjoy it. I honestly feel that our current game's setting is more a dedication to the many games we've all been inspired by, rather than a completely original formula; in a way, it's just a different cliché.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Yes, that is within the realm of possibility.

It does not mean this development team in particular should spend any effort towards that direction.
This message used to be meaningful.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Well no, but I absolutely think more people should make an effort to document their ideas for completely separate TMW servers.. but I agree, about the most we should ever hear about separate projects, on this message board, should be in the off-topic forum, along the lines of "Hey, check out my Mana World" ..with a link to a separate site. ;)
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

Crush wrote:The standard tolkien race setup? How cliché...

We already came up with our own races: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Races
I thought it was decided that these element-based races weren't going to be used afterall? Anyway, I agree that it would be nice to break from the classical cliché races. But human + element doesn't seem all that special either. There's other mythological figures besides from the one Tolkien used. how about halfbreed like fauns (half goat/man), minotaurs (half bull/man) and centaurs (half horse/man). Or how about faeries, shapeshifters, djinns?
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Originally, each non-human race of Man was described with some sort of animal-like quality or trait. This is the most obvious with the Tritan and their fishiness. There were some developers that didn't like the animal references, so at some point, they were toned-down. The four prime races went something like this.

Race [element] animal
Tritan [water] fish
Talpan [earth] mole
Sparron [air] bird
Ifriton [fire] probably scorpion

I'm not sure that anyone has ever claimed that the elementally-themed races were astoundingly original or groundbreaking.. just that it's a welcome diversion from the typical choice of Human, Elf, Dwarf, etc.. and as you can see, animal traits are part of the idea. Even considering that, I don't see how anamorphic humanoids are any more original, than any other theme of races.

Think about the game "Breath of Fire", or to some extent, the cartoon, "Dragonball". Most folks are clearly humanoid, but quite a few are some sort of anamorphic human/animal person.. but there's virtually no attention ever paid to specific races. (everyone is just generally "people".. whether you're a dog-person, a gorilla-man, or even the notorious Boss Rabbit)

In the end, I'm pretty sure we're going to stick pretty close to the set of races we currently have. It seems to me that the current theme and your suggested use animal traits are already fairly similar concepts.