new wiki front page

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

do you like iT??

yes absolutely
12%
yes
No votes
not really
29%
no
35%
don't know
24%

Total votes: 17
Habari
Novice
Novice

new wiki front page

Post by Habari »

i have desinged a new front pagee for the wiki

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/User:HABARI
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: new wiki front page

Post by Crush »

What exactly did you change beside the colors and why do you think it's better that way?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Too much unnecessary consolidation. The story / world section looks gross; possibly because you've smushed it together, without using hyphens as separators. You've mixed content with gameplay features. The two categories aren't exactly one in the same. Your programming section seems to have fallen apart and formed a link cloud; blecch.

I agree that some reorganizing and rewording should be performed, but this looks sloppier than the current version. The only quality I can see in your suggested change, over what is currently published, is the removal of the useless Miscellaneous section. What would be really cool, is if someone could think of an efficient way to use that space.
Habari
Novice
Novice

Post by Habari »

crush said:
What exactly did you change beside the colors and why do you think it's better that way?
well , as Dave said i got rid of the useless Miscellaneous section and put its contents elsewhere
,apart from the small colour change which is more comfortable for sight ( i also put titles in capital letters), i have split the two columns into 3 blocks of text each in a symmetrical way , reordering the links under more convenient titles , in the current page there isn't a help section (which is really important for newbies ) , but there is a feedback section with only two links (in my page every block has more or less the same amount of links), also i don't understand why in the current page we have information and then reference , which means more or less the same . in my page contents and story (developerss column) goes in general info . its not useful to split it. i also put a "list section"
and then wrote monsters , npc , items , guilds . in the current page we have: list of npc , list of guild , list of monster instead of putting a list section and avoiding to repeat the word list 100 times. my page can be improved but i think its better than actual page whre info is spread through hundreds of sections and its difficult to see.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Habari wrote: ,apart from the small colour change which is more comfortable for sight ( i also put titles in capital letters),
I liked the old color scheme much better.
i have split the two columns into 3 blocks of text each in a symmetrical way
It doesn't look much more symetric to me. Did you look at it in a different browser?
in the current page there isn't a help section (which is really important for newbies )
That's something which can be considered
, but there is a feedback section with only two links (in my page every block has more or less the same amount of links),
Grouping the links in a useful way is more important than symmerty. It makes sense to separate the parts which are supposed to be interactive form the non-interactive information articles.
also i don't understand why in the current page we have information and then reference , which means more or less the same .
No, it does not. Maybe you misunderstand the meaning of the word "reference".
in my page contents and story (developerss column) goes in general info . its not useful to split it.
As dave already pointed out it makes sense to separate "hard" content development from "soft" background development.
i also put a "list section"
and then wrote monsters , npc , items , guilds . in the current page we have: list of npc , list of guild , list of monster instead of putting a list section and avoiding to repeat the word list 100 times.
Does not really make sense in my opinion because there is a lot which can be called a "list" without having anything to do with each other. The list of developers, for example, is completely uninteresting for the average player.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

As long as we're poking at it, consider some of the following changes for the future:

General information
Joining the project - Roadmap - Guidelines - Assignments

Concepts
Art: Creatures - Items - Locations - Other
Setting: Elements - World
Story: Timeline - Lore
Society: Organizations - People - Economy

Content
Characters: Playersets - Equipment sheets - Equipment in development - Hairsets - NPC development
Creatures: Creature proposal - Monster sheets
Graphics: Tilesets - Animations - Particle effects - Image dyeing
Mapping: Map development - Mapping Tutorial
Sound & music: Sound effects - Music
Miscellaneous: Translations

Features
Gameplay: Core Systems - Supplementary Systems - Weapons
User input: GUI development - Keyboard usage - Menu interface system