Multi-quest quests

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Shaggy
Novice
Novice

Multi-quest quests

Post by Shaggy »

It seems to me that one thing TMW seems to be lacking is a progression in questing (I don't know whether this is usual in MMORPGs or not, I've not played any others).

What I mean is, I feel some quests should only open up when other quests are done.

Take this scenario for example, (I know it's not brilliant, but it gives a flavour of what I'm thinking)

Give Vincent his 30 bug legs so that he can make his model,
On visiting Vincent later on (maybe after completing another quest), he finds out about the alchemist properties that bug legs have (it is already known they have properties, but not what).
Visiting Rauk, when he gives you the option of iron potion or concentration potion, another option appears, whereby you tell Rauk about the bug legs.
Finally, this opens up another potion that Rauk can now make (may be a potent form iron potion (20 × mushrooms + 10 × bug legs)).
Enjoyed The Mana World? Then check out Aethyra (http://www.aethyra.com).
Effex
Peon
Peon

Re: Multi-quest quests

Post by Effex »

Sounds like a good idea. Certainly more interesting than having basic quests to do at low levels then nothing to do but level up at 40+. There could be a few things to remedy this. Multi-Quest Quests as Shaggy says, or perhaps having certain prerequisites (level wise) to even embark on the quest. That gives people another incentive to level up except being on the top 20 list.

As for Multi quest questing, Several carefully interlayed quests could lead to some interesting story lines. One thing that as an RPG, TMW is missing. So far it's just people levelling up. Is there a backstory? OR any plan to create one? Perhaps If we had some storylines (community ones) the game would become a little more interesting. But I digress :P I guess that's another post for another topic. Back to the original point, Great Idea, Shaggy :D
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Yes, there is a backstory under construction.

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Backstory

Don't wonder why you didn't hear about anything of this ingame. It isn't used for anything yet because we want to wait until it is finished before we use it. Unfortunately the person who was most active designing the backstory (dave aka dabe) is currently unavailable.

Regarding quests: How about learning the eAthena scripting language (it is a really simple one) and offering your help to Platyna? She is currently planing to make the game much more quest-oriented and I bet she can need some help with scripting all those quests.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Shaggy
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaggy »

Crush wrote:Yes, there is a backstory under construction.

Don't wonder why you didn't hear about anything of this ingame. It isn't used for anything yet because we want to wait until it is finished before we use it. Unfortunately the person who was most active designing the backstory (dave aka dabe) is currently unavailable.

Regarding quests: How about learning the eAthena scripting language (it is a really simple one) and offering your help to Platyna? She is currently planing to make the game much more quest-oriented and I bet she can need some help with scripting all those quests.
I'd love to... The thing I lack is inspiration. (I agree, the eAthena language, and lua on TMWServ, are both pretty simple scripting languages)
Enjoyed The Mana World? Then check out Aethyra (http://www.aethyra.com).
Effex
Peon
Peon

Post by Effex »

Crush wrote:Yes, there is a backstory under construction.

Right, that's good to hear. Can people get involved with the backstory as they can the rest of the game? Personally, I couldn't, but Ashura is looking for a way to contribute that doesn't involve anything 'technical' (she can barely turn her computer on :P)
Crush wrote:Regarding quests: How about learning the eAthena scripting language (it is a really simple one) and offering your help to Platyna? She is currently planing to make the game much more quest-oriented and I bet she can need some help with scripting all those quests.
Sure. Do you know of any tutorials/information the eAthena scripting language? One more question, does eAthena have any kind of support for level prerequisites for questing?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Effex wrote:Right, that's good to hear. Can people get involved with the backstory as they can the rest of the game? Personally, I couldn't, but Ashura is looking for a way to contribute that doesn't involve anything 'technical' (she can barely turn her computer on :P)
I am a bit ambivalent about that topic. I would prefer when as few people as possible are involved into writing the background material. Too many cooks spoil the broth - this does especially apply to writing fiction. But on the other hand dave seems not be able or not to be motivated to continue his work at the moment.
Sure. Do you know of any tutorials/information the eAthena scripting language? One more question, does eAthena have any kind of support for level prerequisites for questing?
I learned the eAthena scripting language by looking at our scripts and from This eAthena command reference. You can check the character level easily by checking the special variable "BaseLevel" during an NPC dialog. All of the non-repeatable event quests I scripted had level prerequisites to stop people from doing them multiple times by creating new characters.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Effex
Peon
Peon

Post by Effex »

Crush wrote:I am a bit ambivalent about that topic. I would prefer when as few people as possible are involved into writing the background material. Too many cooks spoil the broth - this does especially apply to writing fiction. But on the other hand dave seems not be able or not to be motivated to continue his work at the moment.
I can understand your thoughts in this matter. But a story is important to an RPG, so it's important that it is being worked on at least. Do you how long it has been since dave was working on it? Or if he has any plans to return to it. I've just read through the backstory and history. It seems a lot of thought has gone into it and it would be a shame for the project to hold because of that.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Effex wrote:Do you how long it has been since dave was working on it?
That's easy to check by looking at his user contributions log on the wiki.
His last contribution was May 11th, but for something completely unrelated to the game background. His last background-related contribution was May 5th.
  • NOT a game master

Effex
Peon
Peon

Post by Effex »

Crush wrote:That's easy to check by looking at his user contributions log on the wiki.
His last contribution was May 11th, but for something completely unrelated to the game background. His last background-related contribution was May 5th.
Well, I guess he's not been inactive all that long then. Perhaps it's just a busy time for him. Maybe if he does come back he'll have an opinion on th matter too, so I suppose it's better to wait.