Communication / Interacting

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Miana
Peon
Peon

Communication / Interacting

Post by Miana »

Most games have several forms of communications, and with that, there needs to be some way to go through and toggle preferences to a players liking. In the TMW version I am currently using, there is only the standard on screen communication, though I wanted to cover some of the others, some of the toggles that may be required, as well as the topic of spam (which seems to come up in a lot of other posts).

The following is a list of the "commands" I am used to from other games and settings to communicate or interact with others.

Say: The standard on screen communication that is built into the game.
- Syntax: <enter>Hello everyone! How are you?<enter>

Msg or Tell: Private communication between two players anywhere in the game.
- Syntax: /tell miana Hello Miana, how are you?
- Syntax: /msg miana Hello Miana, what town are you in?

Whisper: Private communication between two players on the same screen.
- Syntax: /whisper miana Hello Miana. May I have a moment of your time?

Shout: Communication with anyone on the same map area.
- Syntax: /shout Help! I'm lost in these caves. Is there anyone else here who can help me?

Ignore: Used to disable all messages from a certain player.
- Syntax: /ignore miana

The ability to turn any of these communications on and off would help for players to be able to communicate with people they want to chat with, and ignore those who may be bothering them with messages. This is a way for players to be able to do something about annoying occurrences, without needing a GM to step in.

Note that in some games, commands like shout, had a time limit. Meaning you could only should a couple of times, and it would disable the command for a few minutes, and then turn it back on when the time limit had expired. Obviously set in place to avoid abuse.

- Miana
Shaggy
Novice
Novice

Re: Communication / Interacting

Post by Shaggy »

Miana wrote:Msg or Tell: Private communication between two players anywhere in the game.
- Syntax: /tell miana Hello Miana, how are you?
- Syntax: /msg miana Hello Miana, what town are you in?
Implemented using /whisper
Miana wrote:Ignore: Used to disable all messages from a certain player.
- Syntax: /ignore miana
I believe (though not able to check) that it's been implemented by <right-click> on char.

In TME (http://206.168.213.109), I have implemented a basic partying system (it is still work in progress), which will allow communication within a party.
Last edited by Shaggy on 18 Jul 2008, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoyed The Mana World? Then check out Aethyra (http://www.aethyra.com).
mon
Peon
Peon

Re: Communication / Interacting

Post by mon »

I'm not sure that the "Shout" idea is feasible. I can imagine players you can't see shouting "Giv me [stuff] plz!!!1"

What if the communication with remote players would be only available if both parties have an item. Like a radio but you put in the players names to communicate with them.
And how about some keyboard shortcuts for some of the most common words like "Hello" or "HELP ME!!!"
a.k.a. - Achel