Suggestions for a better tmw

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Sebastian
Peon
Peon

Suggestions for a better tmw

Post by Sebastian »

here is a list of the things that i believe would make the mana world a lot better:
friends list- being able to add people as friends, check to see if their online, and see where they are
private message- a message system that allows people to talk to each other privately no matter where they are
Guild system- a system that allows players to join and make guilds
Player info screen- when a player clicks on another player a screen should pop up that shows thier level, guild, stats, etc.
Other ways to make money instead of killing monsters- there could be a lot of different methods for players to make money in tmw, such as mining, fishing, logging, etc..
mining- player buys a pickaxe, goes to a cave/mine, and clicks one the wall to begin mining inorder to get minerals
fishing- player buys a rod, goes to a body of water, clicks it and begins to fish
logging- player buys an axe, clicks a tree and begins to chop it and collects logs
professions and the ability to make items- the ability to use items to make items, such as tailoring, blacksmith, carpenter, cooking. as players use these skills they get better at doing them and allows them to make better items
Tailoring- using wool and the like collected from fluffys and possible some plants inorder to make clothing
Blacksmithing- using minerals collected by mining inorder to make weapons and armor
Carpenter- using wood to build items(i.e furniture if players where able to build houses)
Cooking- using collected raw food (meat, fish, etc.) to cook food that could be used to heal.
cheaper dye- currently dye is very expensive and hard to get, i believe that a players ability to look the way they want is very important and dye should be cheap and easily obtainable.
cheaper potions that instantly heal- i dont know about anyone else but i never use health potions cause they seem pointless cause it takes some time for your health to go up they are too expensive
Transportation- ways to instantly travel between cities
Weapon aguments/power ups- Ways to increase a weapons strength through magical power ups that the player buys, also an elemental system that makes fire power ups hurt ice monsters more and etc.
tutorial area set up for new players
health bars under monsters while fighting
houses- when the world is big enough players should be able to buy/build homes, this would add something for the players to save up for other than new weps and armor and add a whole new edge to the game, example of a mmo that allows houses is ultima online which does it quite well(trust me, i was in a guild once in it, we had a huge guild house, training house, and i hosted parties at my house. we even planed to build an arena where players could fight and others could bet on matches but unfortunatly i was younger and didnt have money so i couldn't play anymore on that server since it was a pay server.)
follow player- allows players to follow someone(right click follow)

Changes to the world
Tulimshar:
Monsters- i believe that all monsters should be removed from the city, the city should be more of a social place and less of a place for players to kill things.
Southern desert- i believe that the sandstorm should be removed and possible moved to the western desert because the transition to city to desert is wierd and the sandstorm is annoying, also the sandstorm could be set on intervals(on off posible randomly or by time). Another change that I believe should be done is the monsters should be switched with the monsters that are currently inside the city and the monsters in the desert should be in a new cave or in the area between the desert and the woods
Residential area and market- I believe that the npcs in the market should be moved and the market should be an area set aside for players to sell buy and trade with one another(with it against the rules to try get people to buy items outside of the market cause its kind of annoying having people trying to sell stuff to me while im training), and the trader, bleacher, and haircutter moved into the residential area with their own shops(the bleacher in a tailor shop). The residential area should also have a few npcs walking around it because it seems like a ghost town over their. The lady that gives you items for monster points should be changed to a gaurd who says that the kingdom is dangerous and in exchange for killing monster and making it a safer place he will award u with items.
Western area- the west desert that leads to the woods should have the scorps and snakes removed to make it safer and a road should be put in, also it could be lengthened.

Snow region-

way in- the magical girl who takes you there should be removed, im assuming she is only temporary since the world isnt complete yet and the snow region is on another continent so in her place for now could be a dock with a boat in the east water in the woods with a guy offering to take you there for free. there could be another dock set up were the ice is in the water east of where the magical girl in the snow region.
spock and kirk- seriously do i really have to say anymore
rudolf and santa slimes- i believe they should be changed to snow and ice slimes respectivly

These are the things that i believe would make the game a lot more enjoyable and possible even attract more player, i might add a few more things later when i think of them. I would like to hear what you guys think of these ideas, all criticism is welcome.

ps. i do intend on helping this project soon, but for now im too busy writing a book

Update*:
monster specific drops- bats shoulld not drop bug legs they should drop bat wings, maggots should be the only ones to drops maggot goo, etc.

*also some of the quests need to be tweaked, such as the red stingers one, because the reward is the crappy bow, but in order to get it you need to be at a higher lvl inorder to kill red scorps, so noobs who want to be an archer cant complete the quest and by the time they can complete it they would have already bought a bow. i would suggest having it be 5 or 10 normal stingers

*and how could i forget, we really need graphics for boots and gloves, cause seing everyone walking around bare foot is wierd
Last edited by Sebastian on 27 Oct 2008, 01:47, edited 2 times in total.
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Suggestions for a better tmw

Post by Vink »

Sebastian wrote: friends list- being able to add people as friends, check to see if their online, and see where they are
private message- a message system that allows people to talk to each other privately no matter where they are
You can already befriend people in the right-click menu, there is the online list on the web page, and you can /whisper to people privately no matter where they are, if they are online and are not using a very old version. :)
Sebastian
Peon
Peon

Post by Sebastian »

Thankyou, i didnt know that, still though you have to go on the site to see whos online and you cant see where they are, it would be better if you could see if your friends were online and where they are while in game. oh yeah i have two questions, 1 what are the current benifits of adding people as friends and 2 how do you whisper?
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

Sebastian wrote:Thankyou, i didnt know that, still though you have to go on the site to see whos online and you cant see where they are, it would be better if you could see if your friends were online and where they are while in game. oh yeah i have two questions, 1 what are the current benifits of adding people as friends and 2 how do you whisper?
But if you can see where people are, it will be hard to play hide and seek. ;) 1. If I have understood this, if you have disallowed trading and whispers, your friends can still trade and whisper with you.
2. You press enter as usual when you want to talk, and type /whisper Name Message and press enter to send as usual. Replace Name with the name of the character you wish to whisper to, and replace Message with the message you want to send. If the character has a space in the name, you have to put the name within "", for example "Long Name".
Sebastian
Peon
Peon

Post by Sebastian »

thankyou vink
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

Sebastian wrote:...
I’m not a developer, but this is my understanding:
  • Friends list and private messages, as Vink as answered. These will most likely be revisited in the future, especially once the new work-in-progess server replaces the current one.
  • Guilds: Something will exist on the new server, on the current...?
  • Player info: Not planned as far as I know. Personally I would like that some basic info may be shown, especially for befriended players or those in the same guild.
  • Progressing in game rather than killing mobs: I’m sure more ways will come, not only for getting gold but also experience.
  • Resource harvesting: Something that most likely will appear on the new server. On the current we just got the Herb Plants and some NPCs do parts of the crafting, not exactly how you described, but it is something for now. More content like the current plants will surely come in the future, especially if someone draws the art (item icons and resource/monster sprites).
  • Dye: Some of the colours are quite inexpensive (some just requires 10 Herbs, something even a level one player easily can get). And, yes, some are much more expensive and/or time consuming, I believe it is because it is thougt that ardious players should get some visual benefit for their time.
  • Transportation: I know nothing of future plans, but most surely it has been thought of and discussed many times. At least we have the Soul Menhirs now. ;)
  • Potions: This is currently changing, let’s see what happens.
  • Weapon add-ons: On current server, no idea if anything is planned. On new server, something will most likely be there, but in what form I have no idea.
  • Tutorial area: A tutorial island is planned. Not sure what is needed before it can be developed/added though.
  • Monster health bars: Something I have wished for as well, at times. Yet, I also like not knowing, at least not exactly. I have no idea on what the devs’ intentions are.
  • Houses: No idea what the devs’ intentions are.
  • Following: No idea what the devs’ intentions are. I’ve heard of worries that such a thing may be abused; a possibility would be that you only can follow those whom have befriended you and/or are in the same guild or something.
  • Game world: I do not know the details (some are posted on the wiki though), but the game world as we know it now is it not how it will look later; some parts may be quite similar perhaps.
  • Monster drops: This is something that will have to be looked into sometime. Preferably sooner than later, I think/hope, but most likely before the new server in any case. If someone draws icons for more ideal monster drops, this is likely to change even sooner. This really just is a part of the whole game economy balancing that will have to take place.
  • Tweakings of quests: Several issues and suggestions have been voiced, and many quests will probably be tweaked or replaced once the time is right (new server, comes to mind, for instance).
  • Gloves and boots sprites: Who knows... perhaps it will come one day... :lol:
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

money in tmw, such as mining, fishing, logging, etc..
mining- player buys a pickaxe, goes to a cave/mine, and clicks one the wall to begin mining inorder to get minerals
fishing- player buys a rod, goes to a body of water, clicks it and begins to fish
logging- player buys an axe, clicks a tree and begins to chop it and collects logs
Lets not turn into Runescape :lol:
Pixel Battalion
Sebastian
Peon
Peon

Post by Sebastian »

Len i so agree with you, i dont want tmw to turn into runescape, i hate runescape. especially since the towns are filled with people killing monsters which is unfortunatly in tmw, but still other mmos like uo have mining fishing and logging. really though all i want is to make money in a way other then killing monsters, i believe that would make the game more social.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I am answering based on the post by Ces because it is much better readable.
Ces wrote:Friends list and private messages
Private messages and friend list are already implemented in latest developers version.
Ces wrote:Guilds: Something will exist on the new server, on the current...?
Guilds already work rudimentary on the new server.
Ces wrote:Progressing in game rather than killing mobs
On TMWServ you will be able to reach a high level only by crafting, healing or supporting without ever killing a single monster.
Ces wrote:Resource harvesting: Something that most likely will appear on the new server.
There are also plans to add more resources than just herbs on the current server.
Ces wrote:Dye prices
Dyes are already cheap enough.
Ces wrote:Transportation
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Teleportation
Ces wrote:Instant Heal Potions
We removed instant heal items because they made PvP combat very imbalanced. But I admit that the current solution needs some tweaks before it is perfect.
Ces wrote:Weapon add-ons
On the current server: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4461
On the new server: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... h/Crafting
Ces wrote:Tutorial area
There were initiatives on the current server to create a tutorial area but they didn't got far. The tutorial area on the new server is roughly planned.
Ces wrote:Monster health bars
I believe that combat is more exciting when you don't know how many HP the enemy has left.
Ces wrote:Houses
We had some ideas in the past but all the concepts we explored broke as soon as we thought about the details.
Ces wrote:Following
I fail to see the real benefit of this function.
Ces wrote:Monster drops: This is something that will have to be looked into sometime. Preferably sooner than later, I think/hope, but most likely before the new server in any case. If someone draws icons for more ideal monster drops, this is likely to change even sooner. This really just is a part of the whole game economy balancing that will have to take place.
Yes, I agree that a lot of monster drops are implausible and should be replaced by more fitting items of similar value. Any contributions in form of item icons are appreciated.
Ces wrote:weakings of quests
Most of the newer quests are balanced a lot better than the old ones.
Ces wrote:Gloves and boots sprites:
AFAIK there are currently people working on them. But they won't be visible before 0.0.26.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:
Ces wrote:Progressing in game rather than killing mobs
On TMWServ you will be able to reach a high level only by crafting, healing or supporting without ever killing a single monster.
Many quests we have atm already give EXP. Most new quests will.
Crush wrote:
Ces wrote:Instant Heal Potions
We removed instant heal items because they made PvP combat very imbalanced. But I admit that the current solution needs some tweaks before it is perfect.
Limited insta-heal will return.
Crush wrote:
Ces wrote:Following
I fail to see the real benefit of this function.
There are some benefits, but this ability was removed from the current server because of problems it created with new systems.
Crush wrote:
Ces wrote:Gloves and boots sprites:
AFAIK there are currently people working on them. But they won't be visible before 0.0.26.
Gloves work in all current clients. Boots work in 0.0.25 and 0.0.26, but are graphically unstable in 0.0.24.1. They will both be released this weekend.
Sebastian
Peon
Peon

Post by Sebastian »

gloves and boots work? im confused i still cant see them, do i need to update the game or something? And oh yeah i would also be cool if you could select your skin color. and dye is near not cheap enough, for god sake purple costs 40k and you need 100 colbalt 100 alizarin 20 mauve herbs and a pearl, which would take forever to collect. and oh yeah, i wonder what your guys take on removing monsters from the city is. And thankyou to all the devs who have worked hard on making tmw, we all love you :)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Sebastian wrote:gloves and boots work? im confused i still cant see them, do i need to update the game or something?
jaxad0127 wrote:They will both be released this weekend.
The clients are capable of showing them, but they aren't being sent yet. Starting with this weekend's updates, they will be.
Sebastian
Peon
Peon

Post by Sebastian »

somethings wrong with the boots and gloves, if i dont have boots equiped and i equip gloves they dont show, if i equip boots they show , but when i equip my gloves the boots disappear, and if i equip the boots again the gloves dissappear. im assumming there is a problem in the new update that doesnt allow the game to show both gloves and boots you is there something wrong with my version?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Sebastian wrote:somethings wrong with the boots and gloves, if i dont have boots equiped and i equip gloves they dont show, if i equip boots they show , but when i equip my gloves the boots disappear, and if i equip the boots again the gloves dissappear. im assumming there is a problem in the new update that doesnt allow the game to show both gloves and boots you is there something wrong with my version?
What is your version?
Sebastian
Peon
Peon

Post by Sebastian »

at the top left of the screen it say 0.0.24.1 and when i first opened it today it did update, but do i have to download it all again or something?