Jack O ramped up too much?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

radiant
Novice
Novice

Jack O ramped up too much?

Post by radiant »

A recent server restart was scheduled for, among other things, doubling Jack O's power from 100 max to 200.

Is this overdoing it?

It's certainly true that with all the extra time to level up, all the new equipment, and the opportunity to fend off things like mountain snakes, 100 damage isn't nearly as intimidating as it was last time around, lest the event be all "treat" and no "trick". Perhaps a small increase is in order, but all the way to 200? That's almost to the all-"trick" point on the spectrum. Someone who built their character to the point where even mountain snakes hit straight 1s, which is pretty much the point of diminishing returns prior to this event, can still take over 50 damage from the revised Jack O. Particularly for the archers, who aren't used to their targets being able to run fast enough to keep up, this is such a monstrous increase over anything else extant in the game, and even over the original Jack O design, as to shut many players out.

From what I've seen in the arena, gang attacks make them quite manageable among players taking 30-50 a hit, by distributing Jack O's attacks so no one takes lethal (such organization is theoretically possible in the other spots as well, but with only one appearance an hour now, the usefulness of such a gathering is quite limited). However, wasn't it mentioned elsewhere here that the spirit of Halloween wants to dictate a solo event? The new Jack O isn't feasible to solo at all without a large stock of healing items, or vitality around 70; additionally anyone below about level 50 will find it extremely difficult to participate in the event at all since even one hit they take as part of a gang will result in close to 100 damage, and be unsustainable for any serious length of time. Isn't Halloween in our world primarily enjoyed by the children? There's already a shortage of low-level partakings in the game, and now to have the temporary event simply be a high-level-only enemy...?

75-150, maybe. 100-160 (old+60), perhaps but even that's beginning to stretch it. 65-130 with the attack speed of a flower would be an interesting touch. 200 max damage is simply not suitable for a Halloween special enemy.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Jack O ramped up too much?

Post by Jaxad0127 »

This is not the main event. The main event and it's top prize can be received by anyone of sufficient level (this is a low level and even then, they don't have to be that level). It just wouldn't be Halloween without some Jack Os.
the janitor
Peon
Peon

Post by the janitor »

ya finally a tough monster bring em i like that
ecoute le fou dans son silence la tempete hurle

I AM THE JANITOR
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Jack-O is to be feared and not to be played with.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.