Dungeons, adventuring areas, and elements

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Dungeons, adventuring areas, and elements

Post by Talaroc »

This subject has been mentioned off and on in passing in a number of conversations...

What is the current conception regarding adventuring areas and dungeons? It seems, from what I have been reading, like the general idea at the moment is to have them broken down by element, like "desert of fire," "dungeon of earth," and what have you, and I would really question if this is wise. Basically, it just seems as though it would be pretty boring, to me, and I would much rather see more naturalistic adventuring areas, wherein you don't know offhand what a monster's elemental resistances are save by observation, trial and error, though of course certain areas would have more of a certain type of monster (creatures in a desert are generally more fire resistant).

This also brings up the related issue of creature element resistances, which I am similarly unsure of the current ideas on. Early on, it seemed to be the accepted thought that each monster would be assigned an element. I would, for purposes of variety, naturality, and complexity, like to see elemental resistances (and affiliations) handled more along the lines of how it's done in Battle for Wesnoth; everything has a chart of resistances/affiliations, which might start out based upon the archetype of having a single element, but would be customized for each creature type, thus allowing such things as a monster heavily resistant to both water and fire, but vulnerable to, say, space.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Dungeons, adventuring areas, and elements

Post by Kyokai »

http://themanaworld.org/wiki/?Landmarks

This is just a short list of dungeons, perhaps more will come later on. As you can see, they're based rather on themes than elements. There is one haunted dungeon, a future dungeon, a pirate's lair, and an abstract vortex. More will be added soon, I'm sure.

As for enemies elements, since they will have skills just like players and the skill list also includes immunity to elemental and status effects, it will be easy to implement enemies with any combination of resistances.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Cool. I make a point of checking the wiki periodically, apparently I missed that page.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

I think that the wiki needs a clean up, specially the index. I think i could do it if you let me.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

sure feel free to do it
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

maci wrote:sure feel free to do it
It's done. I've re-sorted, and cleaned the index and added a directory on the top of each page.

If you don't have a problem, please save it.

Also, I've a problem, I want to link the current artwork with each NPC so in each page appears under the name links to all the ideas about that character.
I need to write a link to the image but the wiki always shows the image. I tried with [suggested artwork by xxx| http://themanaworld.org/archive/xxx/.png] but it's interpreted as if I wanted to show the image.

:wink: