Another (Dead) Idea

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Bear
Warrior
Warrior

Another (Dead) Idea

Post by Bear »

Similar idea to tombstone, wait wait, let me explain

When a person dies, their sprite switches to a Ghost sprite.

When a Ghost, the player has access to walk around in a ghost sprite, or Return to nearest town.

This will also give the person a sprite, so others can revive them.

so... ill post a few pics ina sec

Here it is! steps are in 3
Step 1: Normal
Step 2: Died
Step 3: Ghost!

Ofcourse the sprites WILL be different, just messing around with them :P

This also lets people turn into Stalkers O>O AND allows people to follow team mates for long periods of time, waiting for them to find a ressurection item :D

BUT! there is a loophole to this!, When a person is dead... he can walk right?, well that would cause alot of cheating... So heres my play, when a player turns into a ghost, the player can only walk INSIDE the map her died on !!, so ONLY on the map he died on, no further. So we can make it so that if the player tries going into a warp portal or door or anyhting, it rejects him!
Last edited by Bear on 30 May 2005, 04:50, edited 1 time in total.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Or no further than a certain radius away from your body.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

i guess that works too, but wouldnt that put alot of stress on the server?

Or would that be client side?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Why having a walking ghost would cause cheating?
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

i can only name 1 way of cheating...
Safety in travels... A person can die, then go on a journey as a Ghost, then get revived at the destination he wanted to go, so lets say the person wants to go passed a tough dungeon, he would kill himself, then go thru the dungeon... After look for a ressurection.

So its sorta cheating...
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Well I think the aim of going into a dungeon is to reach the end where you can find treasures and what else, obiouvsly you can't revive there.
Wait maybe you're right because one of your friends can revive you there...
Well I think we have to find a nice solution, because I like the ghosts idea, but I don't like that much the idea that your soul can't go far from your body.
fmct
Peon
Peon

Post by fmct »

Why overdoing it? Just leave the corpse there and let the player decide if he will wait for resurrection or just respawn ("Press this button if you want to return to the town").

I see no gain by letting him wonder as a ghost in the map he died on. He can use the chat to request help anyway.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

How about some permanent negative effects after a certain number of deaths? For example your max HP would be lower after 10 deaths and really minimal after 100. It could be exploited to a certain degree, but.. (And also, penalties for the time you've spent dead. That should remove the travelling dilemma.)

The "range from the body" concept is interesting, we could even have an astral projection skill which adds to that range and reduces the effects (we could have areas in which you cannot get unless your party has an astral projector). I'm just bouncing ideas here.
This message used to be meaningful.
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

How about when a player dies they turn into a ghost and their body is still on the ground. So the ghost can move around but the body just lies there where the player died. So when someone comes to revive the player they have to revive the BODY not the ghost.
I love you too. :)
treo
Peon
Peon

Post by treo »

as, I think Modanung, said it would be quite fair if the ghost would loose experience points while he is dead
Peacemaker
Novice
Novice

Post by Peacemaker »

hmm

maybe something like that: ?

Step 1: Normal
- Player is alive ;)

Step 2: Dead
- Dead notification window should give options -> 1=wait (stay dead), 2=Ghost, 3=Respawn
- Player can't move but can be revived by other players (time unlimited)

Step 3: Ghost
- While being a ghost the spiritual energy of the player (INT, MP or something) will decrease.
- Ghosts can only move around as long as they have spiritual energy.
- Ghosts can't be revived by other players (because "ghosts" are invisible ;))
- Ghosts can revive themselves at shrines to cut down long walks?

Step 4: Rebirth
- If the player choose that option or spiritual energy reaches zero -> Respawn at last town -> Step 1
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

treo wrote:as, I think Modanung, said it would be quite fair if the ghost would loose experience points while he is dead
Did I say that? :?
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Kinetic wrote:How about when a player dies they turn into a ghost and their body is still on the ground. So the ghost can move around but the body just lies there where the player died. So when someone comes to revive the player they have to revive the BODY not the ghost.
Just my words :wink:
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

ew

Post by Bear »

I like Peace makers idea :D

It kills the loophole, unless theres a shrine somewhere close by right?
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Pajarico wrote:
Kinetic wrote:How about when a player dies they turn into a ghost and their body is still on the ground. So the ghost can move around but the body just lies there where the player died. So when someone comes to revive the player they have to revive the BODY not the ghost.
Just my words :wink:
Yes, I would prefer this idea as well. Still when we do this I'm not sure what's the whole point of this ghost thing though. I know they have a ghost in WoW but there it somehow spawns from the graveyard and has to walk towards the dead body, just saying it doesn't make sense at all.

In TomeNET when you die you become a ghost and you have to be resurrected either in town or by another player. A ghost can't carry or use any items, and can fight but is a lot weaker than when you were alive, also the ghost can go through walls and ceilings. Oh and when your ghost dies, you lose your character. Also normally, a player can only die 3 times.

I think going with TomeNET way has too many problems though, and maybe we should just leave out the ghost concept and either respawn or wait for resurrection. We could force respawn when your spiritual energy has drained.