Can We Reduce "Botting" ?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Doulos
Novice
Novice

Re: Can We Reduce "Botting" ?

Post by Doulos »

Goku wrote:But then some how the whole TMW community would need to be made aware that it's not a good idea to ignore a "Deputy" and that even though they can't ban you if they ask you to answer within 2 mins you have to or else you will be taken a screeny of and eventually banned.
The GMs could probably use this command now and then for a week or two:
@announce Please be aware that players suspected of botting must respond to the Deputies as they would to the GMs.
&c. I'm sure someone could come up with some better wording. Notifying current players is the least of the worries if this were put in place, Goku.

But thanks for mentioning it. It is a point I overlooked.

:)

Again: the point of the Deputies would be to increase the number of bot identifiers. I'm really pleased that CapitanAwesome is now a GM. He's a kind and personable player. It was a good choice.

However, the reason I made this deputy suggestion follows on my previous point: that with all the GMs available, there are times when none are online. No blame is being laid at anyone's feet here. They've got lives to live outside the game. :)

Crush asked how I saw it working. This is my point of view, as flawed as it is.
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I think it's a wonderful idea that should be implemented that's why i'm thinking of some flaws that we do need to solve so if the devs do decide to add this system, it can be added asap.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

the gms themselves don't have this because they have manual checks if this command is made perfectly there will be no need for screenies and anyone could relly use it because of its accuracy if the player dose not respond or move with in 10 m more or less and/or moves after being reminded every 2 m than they deserved to be ban by the server
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Exactly. I think there's a reason the GM's have to do things manually..
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

Goku wrote:Oh no, don't get me wrong. I think it's a wonderful idea that should be implemented that's why i'm thinking of some flaws that we do need to solve so if the devs do decide to add this system, it can be added asap.
Exactly how I saw your post. A required addition and a good criticism. Thanks, Goku.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

:( :| :( :| :( (sigh) :( :| :( :| :( i dont know your opinion on the idea.... look at my signature im looking for a simple answer like it could work but needs work
it sucks or yes i like it
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

The deputy idea is a horrible idea. If characters want to build their own little narc squad player group they could play lame ass "private investigators", which there is already too many of. Too many players threaten each other with abuse reports as it is and this idea would only make things worse.
Current character is "Abolish".
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

are you defending the bots ? and do you bot?
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

meway wrote::( :| :( :| :( (sigh) :( :| :( :| :( i dont know your opinion on the idea.... look at my signature im looking for a simple answer like it could work but needs work it sucks or yes i like it
Meway: I'm not commenting on your particular thread because I'm promoting something entirely different, based on the two original posts.

However, if you're interested... and don't take this personally... I'll say that I'm trying to reduce the work of the Devs.

Now, not everyone's gonna like my ideas, for sure. But dealing with vacant players is, in my opinion, a GM-based thing only. The most the Deputies would do is post a report in the Abuse / Court Room forum. The most the Devs would do is produce a cap.

The position of Deputy would not be handed out willy nilly, naturally. I'm fairly certain that among the hundred-plus players there are two or three that management may consider for that particular post and could approach. And if it fails, then system can be dropped.

I'm just trying to reduce the number of coding projects the Devs are already handling.
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Wombat wrote:The deputy idea is a horrible idea. If characters want to build their own little narc squad player group they could play lame ass "private investigators", which there is already too many of. Too many players threaten each other with abuse reports as it is and this idea would only make things worse.
I'm suprised you don't like the idea Wombat.. after all you strongly appose botting, don't you?

I believe the Deputy system could be put in place specifically for botting.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Botting doesn't scare me. It is a minor annoyance that sometimes gets out of hand, making hunting lame. We don't need "deputies" to handle this inconvenience, that is the reason GMs exist. If it weren't for botters, I don't think there would be a reason for GMs. Player groups need a reason to exist. If you think it is such a great idea, just make a little narc squad up and go bot hunting.
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Yet there are still times when no GM's are on and this can help. We all know there are botters out there that get away and have not been caught.

I guess we'll have to disagree here then. This thread is trying to come up with ideas on how to reduce botting. Deputy's, player groups, w/e it may be, something should be done.

And if there was no botting, there would be no GM's really? GM's deal with more problems than just botting. I know you don't like that and you think player groups should handle those kinds of things, but there's a reason most, if not all (i'm pretty sure it's all) successful MMORPG's have Game Masters / Moderators. Even the ones that don't have to deal with botting.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

people don't go narcing on people unless they have a reason so if a bot is stupid enough to park themselves in a good leveling spot were lots of players enjoy getting drops and leveling themselves with out someone botting and and dropping stuff you cant pick up. If anything someone did a little research the bot complaints went up after the item pick up security came into play
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

So what? Are botters "hurting" you so much that you have to destroy them immediately? Does it bother you that much?

I think you just need something to do in the game. Organize a raiding party or a pvp match. Play the testing server and test the magic. Or, as i suggested, just make a little bot hunting group and find botters and make screenshots, report them to the court house along with the time so GMs know when there is a problem.

The current GM setup is an attempt to make it easier for GMs to be available. If your reports expose a reason to add another one or two GMs to help your narc squad out, your reports will give reason for it, but I don't see any reason for more GMs and "deputies" can just be a player group with no real power granted by devs or GMs.
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Wombat wrote:So what? Are botters "hurting" you so much that you have to destroy them immediately? Does it bother you that much?

I think you just need something to do in the game. Organize a raiding party or a pvp match. Play the testing server and test the magic. Or, as i suggested, just make a little bot hunting group and find botters and make screenshots, report them to the court house along with the time so GMs know when there is a problem.

The current GM setup is an attempt to make it easier for GMs to be available. If your reports expose a reason to add another one or two GMs to help your narc squad out, your reports will give reason for it, but I don't see any reason for more GMs and "deputies" can just be a player group with no real power granted by devs or GMs.
Bothers me as much as it does you. You do things your way aka always resolving to player groups and "dirty" tactics. Messing with people who camp in the Skull Room, etc. But wait.. those people are actually there and not AFK botting. Are they more of an issue?

It doesn't matter if a such group was made and they found botters certain times. That's the point. So what if you know the time? What if no GM can get on at that time? And even though some players are low enough to cheat on a game, it doesn't mean they are stupid. If they are reported at a certain time do you really think it's likely they'll bot at that same time if they see it has been posted in the forums?

I think there is enough reason as Doulos pointed out. Even though recently CaptainAwesome has been added, there are still several hours where no GM is to be found.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster