Time/day/night proposal

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Time/day/night proposal

Post by Modanung »

Makes sense to me.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Time/day/night proposal

Post by Crush »

Modanung wrote:Makes sense to me.
Not to me.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Your math is off. If you divide an Earth second by 30 to get a TMW second, and by 2 to get a TMW minute, why are hour and day being divided by more? Are they shorter than a TMW minute? The rest of the table tells another story.

Assuming the TMW > TMW conversions are correct, 30 seconds in a minute, 30 minutes in an hour, 30 hours in a day. It does make conversions from Earth to TMW easy.

The graphs don't make much sense to me either.
Ben141
Novice
Novice

Post by Ben141 »

Modanung wrote:
Makes sense to me.
Lucky you.......does it make sense to anyone else? :roll:
aroleon
Novice
Novice

Post by aroleon »

For what it's worth, I think I can work out the table:

Go across the top to "earth hour". Read down to "earth day", which says "/24". So to convert 1 earth hour to days, divide by 24. (1 earth hour = 1 twenty-fourth of a day). So this confirms existing time.

To convert to proposed TMW time, read across the top to "tmw hour". Read down to "earth minute", which reads "1". So 1 earth minute is 1 hour in the game. To confirm this, read across the top to "earth minute", then down to "tmw hour", which reads "1". So this confirms that 1 earth minute is 1 hour in the game.

If we go across the top to earth minute, then down to tmw day, we get "/30"; so 1 earth minute is 1 thirtieth of a day. Therefore, 30 earth minutes divided by 30, equals 1 tmw day.

Similarly, reading across the top, 1 earth day equals (read down) 48 tmw days.

However, converting to some arbitrary time period doesn't really provide anything (Or does it?). How is this to be used by the players? Are we to have day/night cycles (30 earth minutes=1 tmw day) of 15 earth minutes each? How will day/night affect players and monsters?

Personally I hate it in Wesnoth* and wouldn't like it in TMW (because I'm too lazy to think about what attacks work best when); but a light/dark cycle using the overlay for dark (and maybe particle effects for window/street lights?) might be nice, just for looks.

Might be too much to implement for eAthena -- what is planned for tmwserv?

aro

* "The Battle for Wesnoth is a turn-based strategy game with a fantasy theme." Refer http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/w ... ime_of_day and http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/w ... l#id266703 for more information on Wesnoth's day/night cycle.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Thank you aroleon.

Before explaining the diagrams let me say this: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Time_system
As you can see in the first link on the wiki. We have been having this discussion for 50 months now. ;)

Last time I was conceptualizing this I just picked some numbers. This time I did some 'research' first. I timed certain actions.
For my 22 lvl character it took:
2 minutes - to sit and heal from near death to full health
30 seconds - to kill a loghead
1 minute - to walk from Hunrlscladl to Tulimshar
1 minute - to sell some found items a buy some potions

Concidering:
- the effect mentioned on the wiki
- easy conversion to Earth time
- an estimated average play-time of... 2 Earth-hours?

...I came up with 2 TMW-days in 1 Earth-hour, 1 TMW-hour in 1 Earth-minute and 1 TMW-minute in 2 Earth-seconds. Which results in the conversion table.
Explaining the images next to it. The far right diagram shows an Earth-hour divided in 2 TMW-days, in turn divided in sunrise, day, sunset, night and 30 TMW-hours. The top left diagram shows a TMW-day devided again in sunrise, day, sunset and night. Showing at what TMW-hour it would be day or night. Below that is a clock, based on an Earth-clock with the day divided in two halves of 15 TMW-hours or 15 Earth-minutes. Assuming Manakind would divide their days and hours in logical parts (whole numbers) and assuming they have 5 fingers, the clock is designed accordingly.

Taking it a little further (and maybe a bit too far), there are 336 TMW-days in one Earth-week. Let's say a TMW-season lasts that long. Then there would be 13 TMW-years in an Earth-year (52/4). :P
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Fern
Novice
Novice

Post by Fern »

wohh.. thats a nice idea!

btw, I think that the mana clock image has the wrong number of ticks for hours, it counts 15 hours but it has 18 ticks.

Would 7 minutes of full night and 7 minutes of full day be enough? looks maybe too fast. Also, perhaps conversion to Earth time would be easier if there was a direct equivalent to an hour. Like the same you did but doubling time (1 twmDay= 1 hour .. 1 tmwHour= 2min, etc).

This way it shouldnt be hard to make some conversions to a real world timezone.
twm: 12th day, 20:12 time
real: 12 hours, 40 minutes
(if used a 15 tmw hours clock, the am/pm would indicate if it's past half the hour)

with the 30 min/day it would need an aditional operation..
real time: 6 (12/2) hours, 40 (20x2) minutes

I know that the server timezone is mostly different to the timezone of the player, but still I think that easy conversion like this would help people to start using this time for in-game appointments. And it would be easier to associate the last quarter of a real hour to tmw night than associating it to two different nights in an hour.

Also.. if I'm seeking to fight during night, for example, it would be easier for me to just play during the longer night and then rest for a longer time during day than having to pay attention continously to play short nights and then wait ...forcing me to pause/unpause frequently, which can be annoying.

But anyway, the 30min/day is already good too.. perhaps it just has to be tested and see if it's better one way or the other. Maybe it's easier for people to just refer to time by "let's meet at this place next sunrise" ..or "2 sunrises from now" instead of using actual tmw time, and this could make the shorter day system better.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

make a day-night period of 6 hours for 24 real time

so that would mean dividing by 4.
i think this way any place in the world would have is days and nights
look at the time period of sun in order to get seasons

i am no mathamatician so can't make a table but it seems logical to me.

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7