Training an INT-based spellcaster character.

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Fern
Novice
Novice

Training an INT-based spellcaster character.

Post by Fern »

I like that in this game there are no character classes...
I mean, unlike RO, WOW, and many other RPGs, you don't have to take a decision at the start of the game about choosing if you wanna be a warrior/hunter/paladin... you can build your character on the go and depending on the stats you level up you can get an archer, a strong swordsman, a tanker, or a luck/agi-based attacker. Whether you are a paladin of the light or a thief who uses poisonous daggers is just up to you and your roleplaying (poison potions to apply on daggers would be cool, though).

Now that we have magic, there's a new stat that was forgotten for long time but that now is maybe seeing some usefulness... INT (intelligence).

The spells are pretty impressive for showing up, but you wouldn't normally use them for fighting or any other thing (at least not the ones I've seen), they are just for leveling your magic power and showing them to your friends. Currently you cannot depend on spells, you will still need to be a ranger or a swordsman, you will spend more time hunting for items than using the spells. Characters based on INT stat are pretty worthless. For being a wizard you first have to be a tough fighter too.

For making a INT-based character possible I think that there should be some spell that allowed you to fight monsters without consuming any item, but instead consume a significant MP amount (MP is a resource, and indirectly it can consume MP-replenishing items anyway) and also rely much more on the INT (make the spell pretty useless if you have low INT, to avoid it from being used by strong fighters, but enough to kill some maggots so that the low level characters can level up the INT).

This way you can have a spellcaster character who trains by using spells with lots of INT and lower STR/VIT than fighters (perhaps DEX could also influence in the accuracy of some spells so that spellcasters have to waste also points there, for keeping balance). A lot of tweaking in the numbers can be made to avoid giving spellcasters too much of an advantage or too much disadvantages over the other stat builds.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Re: Training an INT-based spellcaster character.

Post by Jumpy »

well...

i am trying to understand how it goes then i'll say something :D

i think the way the quests are done and how one has to advance in magic is very well made by now.
patience
tenacity in casting spells
Tenacity in asking npc again and again

i have the feeling that now INT is only for potions and luck is used sometimes too ;)

i am still discovering.

so i 'll go on practicing and tell you something sometimes (just pass level 2 in magic and i am lvl 2 in nature, transmut, war and life. no no i did not forget astral :D i am on the devil's side :D

have fun

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

The spells are pretty impressive for showing up, but you wouldn't normally use them for fighting
...except they're great against really TOUGH monsters like skulls which are hard to hit and cause great damage so ranged shooting is a way to go and magic allows to have real fun here. I once killed skull in one to one compat while I'm some weakling mage for example, not something I can do with melee fighting even if equipped as warrior at same level.

Did you ever seen how bunch of spellcasters kills skulls in a moments? Just a dozen of lightnings or similar stuff and skulls are done. Try to do the same with weapons at same level ;). That's really looks funny and, uhm, spells could be used for fighting, though this a bit tricky without shortcuts and it is not so uncommon for spellcasters to die due to mistakes :twisted:

As for balancing, let's agree, there should be some offensive spells which do not require items. Though flare magic easy enough to use (sulphur powder is not very expensive) but it's still a bit tricky, still costs something and requires some efforts while flare is quite weak offensive magic.

P.S. how the hell people strike by lightnings in a great numbers? Iron ore is almost impossible to get these days since wizards have added demands on iron ore resource but it's rare and now became totally deficit since there was no amounts increase compared to "non-magic" era (where iron ore was used only several times by each player while with magic it became constantly demanded by many players). I can suggest at least to increase probability of iron ore drop to compensate increased ore demands caused by wizards...
Demonoid
Peon
Peon

Post by Demonoid »

I fully agree with Fern to make magic the ultimate fighting style because it is the most complex of all.
More offensive magic would be very nice and will help to develope a real market for prerequisites with established price laying above store prices as a welcome income for low level players.
TMW changed my Life! Let it change yours! Start playing!
peavey
Novice
Novice

Post by peavey »

Fern wrote:The spells are pretty impressive for showing up, but you wouldn't normally use them for fighting or any other thing (at least not the ones I've seen), they are just for leveling your magic power and showing them to your friends. Currently you cannot depend on spells, you will still need to be a ranger or a swordsman, you will spend more time hunting for items than using the spells. Characters based on INT stat are pretty worthless. For being a wizard you first have to be a tough fighter too.
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 713#p57713

Its coming, and if you read the source you would see that most spells that uses components only do so at lower magic levels, so when the next levels are rolled out, and the more powerful spells, a mage should be a worthy alternative to a fighter.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

what is the best crit hit a warrior can do with his setzer and potion... 200 to 300 depending on str around 50 - 60; agi at 30 and dext at 80 +
and i am just talking of crit hits

archer + mage makes with thunder 650 hits to skulls...

already a mage makes higher damages than a warrior

poor warriors... :cry: warriors desappear from tmw :lol:

regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7