the french house

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

antithesis
Peon
Peon

Re: the french house

Post by antithesis »

Delasia wrote:
tintinus24 wrote:We are a community of diversity, and there is no reason why the facilities we already have in place cannot be used.

Nothing against you at all Del, but although it *is* a diverse community, imposing the "english in public channels" certainly rubs against the aforementioned statement. I still don't get the big deal about speaking other languages in public channels -- who really cares? If I see somebody saying something I don't understand, I simply ignore them.
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

I am not entirely sure what the language laws are for, really. I've perused this thread and have a few gold stars to hand out:
crush wrote:This is a suggestion how this problem could be solved in a less drama-inducing way:

1. An "International Club" building is added to every major town.
2. The entrances of all of these buildings link to the same indoor map. Leaving this map returns the players to the places they entered from.
3. The indoor map consists of a large lobby with doors to separate rooms for the 16(?) most spoken languages in the world (sans english, of course). The doors are labled by national flags.
For drama-reduction (this idea is similar to storage & banks...)
+1
Jaxad0127 wrote:Under TMWServ (the new server being readied for public beta) you can create chat channels for each language.
For foresight.
+1
The Brao wrote:- I don't see any reason why french language could have is own building and not Russian language. If you're doing it for one language, you're doing it for everybody, and that's obviously impossible. That's not a question of number (wow, 20 names on your list, and you're counting mules) but fairness. Acting like if we "deserved it" is very arrogant.
For a "bull's eye".
+1000 :wink:
DonCBen
Novice
Novice

Post by DonCBen »

antithesis wrote:
sugarcorgit wrote:How about work on your english speaking skills at least in public areas. Its more fun then a classroom. That and its a game rule. We can always step out of earshot or whisper as well.
sugarcorgit
How about staying out of the conversation if you have nothing valid to offer? How about letting these people speak their own native languages?
I don't see how what she said was IN-valid. She is speaking on topic, she is offering an idea to calm this argument down, she's pointing out the rule, and yet you attack her? Everything she said is completely valid, and I agree with her.

On another note, I really like Crush's idea.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

warrior char: Donnie B.
mage char: D. Camaro
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

well any Inn ingame should be international no ? public places not the places in which there are some npc for quest :)

i still remmeber that irish pub in paris or this italian bar in san francisco
great cosmopolitan places

regards :)
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
antithesis
Peon
Peon

Post by antithesis »

DonCBen wrote:
antithesis wrote:
sugarcorgit wrote:How about work on your english speaking skills at least in public areas. Its more fun then a classroom. That and its a game rule. We can always step out of earshot or whisper as well.
sugarcorgit
How about staying out of the conversation if you have nothing valid to offer? How about letting these people speak their own native languages?
I don't see how what she said was IN-valid. She is speaking on topic, she is offering an idea to calm this argument down, she's pointing out the rule, and yet you attack her? Everything she said is completely valid, and I agree with her.
That was far from an "attack", and the two of us can agree to disagree as to whether or not what she said had any validity. I could care less if it's an established "rule" or not, I don't see why people are being forced to either speak English or shut up in a public area. Xenoglossophobia, anyone?
DonCBen
Novice
Novice

Post by DonCBen »

antithesis wrote:
DonCBen wrote:
antithesis wrote: How about staying out of the conversation if you have nothing valid to offer? How about letting these people speak their own native languages?
That was far from an "attack", and the two of us can agree to disagree as to whether or not what she said had any validity. I could care less if it's an established "rule" or not, I don't see why people are being forced to either speak English or shut up in a public area. Xenoglossophobia, anyone?
Ok, I see where I misread your post. :wink: After re-reading I see what you meant. Sorry for lashing. :)

I also somewhat agree with you that people should be allowed to speak their own language, public or not. However: right now it is a rule, and I don't think that any amount of arguing will change that. It is easier at this point, for some reason to get a new development in the game rather than a change of rules.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

warrior char: Donnie B.
mage char: D. Camaro
zzzzz
Peon
Peon

Post by zzzzz »

Read this carefully:

You (breat in, breath out) can go (stop, relax) setup (big word, I know!) your own (yes, it's free woo) server. (phew we made it)

If you do not agree with the rules.

SHEESH
vox populi
Peon
Peon

Post by vox populi »

Or just go to France, I heard a rumour there's a few French-speaking people there.

~and really, it's not that hard to pay a visit to some deserted region and have a nice chat there.
vox populi
zzzzz
Peon
Peon

Post by zzzzz »

WOW!! I thought what I said was harsh, but give it up to Vox for out doing me..

Go back to France.. priceless.
Habari
Novice
Novice

Post by Habari »

Here is a better suggestion : Create a house in each town , were volunteers can teach newbies how to speak English
The international houses with flags and all that has a little problem: suppose you put a compartment with a Spanish national flag , some day (it WILL come i promise) a guy will write in these forums : hey our language doesn't belong to that imperialists pigs , i want a Mexican national flag up there , and the next day a guy will write stupid Mexicans , i want an Argentinean flag .
AND YES , people ARE that stupid.

I havenn't actually played the game for a long time now , it is quite sad that people only interact in closed nationality groups , it is quite akward to see people walking around asking " you from Brazil?" and stopping to talk with the ones that say yes. The few social open minded people , seem to have been all elected for GM duties.
The only international house that should exist is the game itself , but people do not apreciate this opportunity to know new cultures , for example most of the european players cant afford to go to brazil to meet brazilian players , but when they play TMW , they join the germans club or the polish club .

I used to do some severe campaigning against rule 5 , because i thougth it will help people willing to speak a range of different laguages , but now i can see the only reason someones want to allow THEIR language is to promote ,
pseudo nationalism , TOO SAD.
AlexBouchet
Peon
Peon

Post by AlexBouchet »

Yes, we need to create the "International House" for people of all languages!!
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

really too boring to see again those fights around langages

1. english american is the official langage doesn't mean you can't speak your own.
2. this is a world. in a world there are always several langages and people deal with it and try to understand each other
3. funny some npc are talking in several langages :)

anyway tolerance and cosmopolitan spirit, openmind is the best way in a community.

i am just tired of the same old debate.

have fun and play the game speak whatever langage you want respecting rules like

1. respect
2. respect
3. ... and so on

but respect each other

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

No one said only American English is allowed.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

jaxad0127 wrote:No one said only American English is allowed.
I fully agree Jax this was going to people who forget that point and who think this is a complete and full only english american speaking game :)

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
InspectorShameless
Novice
Novice

Post by InspectorShameless »

[EDIT]
Last edited by InspectorShameless on 25 Oct 2009, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.