Please adjust the mountain snakes Possible [Spoiler]

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Goku
Knight
Knight

Re: Please adjust the mountain snakes Possible [Spoiler]

Post by Goku »

Most people didn't even do those magic quests just cheat already and use the wiki
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
thedarkfinder
Novice
Novice

Post by thedarkfinder »

Goku wrote:Most people didn't even do those magic quests just cheat already and use the wiki
That is nice. Not only should you not become a warrior, but don't bother with the quest, just cheat.

That is the spirt we should have.
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

i actually play a warrior in game, but since there's ways to worka round it stop ur bitchin
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
thedarkfinder
Novice
Novice

Post by thedarkfinder »

Goku wrote:i actually play a warrior in game, but since there's ways to worka round it stop ur bitchin
Work around what? You can not work around trying to balancing the game? Cheating is not balancing and creating a equal game. We are not here to cheat, we are here to play and test the game.

Maybe you should try and start a character over. I do about once every 3 months. Just to test game play.
Inkweaver
Novice
Novice

Post by Inkweaver »

The solution to the mountain snake issue is to adjust stats for archery and team up with a mage.

Stats: Nothing on strength, everything on dex, luck, and vit. 99 dex is best. Don't even bother putting too much on luck and vit because if you have a mage to help he/she can heal you if you don't/can't dodge the mountain snake to avoid getting hit.

If you keep at it you can get about one skin per hour, give or take.

The bottom line is:

Sometimes you have to team up with somebody. The problem is that that person will usually want some share, and they will usually want the same thing you want: snake skins.

But if you have somebody you can trust, and/or who doesn't want the skins you can get all the skins you need. This is why mages are good choices to team up with. Not only will they heal you, but they are also most interested in tongues because they need 50 of them to please Auldsbel. So find a mage that can instant heal and tell them that you want to do mountain snakes and that you'll let them take all the tongues and you'll take the skins.

That said, when I got my chaps I just bought the skins. Farmed red slimes and saved up my money to buy from a higher level player. These days I have high enough stats that I can work the mountain snakes without a mage to support me.

~By the way, in my opinion having difficult to obtain items like chaps it what makes the game interesting. It wouldn't do to have every newbie running around in chaps. Instead, chaps are a badge of honor that shows that you have spent a good deal of time and effort on the game and on getting them.
thedarkfinder
Novice
Novice

Post by thedarkfinder »

Inkweaver wrote: Instead, chaps are a badge of honor that shows that you have spent a good deal of time and effort on the game and on getting them.
Or bought them.

But your stats prove the point. Even with 99 on dex and using the stat reset to do it.

You still need 3 or 4 people and a mage to get chaps.

I am sorry, but the community is not that large, that you can find 3 or 4 people and a mage will to spend time get the pants.

Co-opration needs to be a central focus of the game.

But you must allow for free play.

If it requires (becomes impossible unless all conditions are meet)
1.) items you can not get
2.) a specialized class
3.) Players of higher level then you that already have the item.
4.)Using a in game cheat, stat reset.
5.) and 5-10% the gaming community, currently at 100 people.

Then maybe you need to adjust something. Just maybe.

It is pretty hard to get 5% of any community to do anything. Let alone get you chaps.

Once again, we have people directly saying that you need to cheat, in game cheat, in order to get a quest item.

Sorry, I do not like cheating, unless there is no way around it.

There is a way around this.

The game needs to be balanced.

If you do not have a vit or luck above 50. The snakes will just mop you with criticals.

If you do not have a vit + luck/3= 98 they will poison you.

Your plan will not really work, in any configuration that make it work with out a mage and 3 to 4 other people.
Last edited by thedarkfinder on 20 Aug 2009, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
thedarkfinder
Novice
Novice

Post by thedarkfinder »

You know, I think I asked the wrong question here.

Can I please restate the question.

At what level should a character with decent use of stats, be able to achieve chaps? At what level can a character get the chaps with out 3 or 4 other people and a mage?
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,
Magic, as it stands now, is for the rich. You really do need to be a high lvl and lots of cash in order to play with magic.

For example. 50 snake tongues? That is totally possible with our way. Totally in like 40 years.
Unless I am completely mistaken, the 50 snake tongues quest has nothing to do with magic other than very subtly affecting the price of a spell component transmutation-- and that one most spellcasters will be able to do themselves anyway. The quest happens to be handed out by a spellcaster character, but that's all. That quest exists for one reason and one reason alone, namely to placate players who want(ed) a quest that `takes a lot of time to complete'. Judging by your comment, the quest meets its design specification. ;-P

-- fate
Inkweaver
Novice
Novice

Post by Inkweaver »

thedarkfinder wrote:You know, I think I asked the wrong question here.

Can I please restate the question.

At what level should a character with decent use of stats, be able to achieve chaps? At what level can a character get the chaps with out 3 or 4 other people and a mage?
I can get them alone at level 70.

At level 50 or so I could get them with 3 or 4 other people. We went in a took care of some mountain snakes. Of course that was before poison though.

Not quite sure how poison has changed things, but like I said greater than level 70 you can do it by yourself even with poison.
Enchilado!
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Enchilado! »

"...this is brilliant. Lets just rename the game, Mages of Mana..."
~thedarkfinder

"...modern fantasy fiction and computer and role-playing games have adopted mana as a term for magic points—an expendable resource out of which magic users form their magical spells..."
~wikipedia

You mentioned that I should see the difference between Snakes and Mounting Snakes. The truth is that when I use the Lightning spell, there really is no difference. Oh... maybe, two hits for the former and three - four hits for the latter. Also, since an Iron Ore costs 5k, Iron Powder must be 1k. If I hit ten times with one Powder, that means each strike costs me 100gp and a Mounting Snake costs 400gp to kill. To kill one hundred Mounting Snakes would cost me 40,000gp, and I would get one and a half Skins, which I could sell for 15k. Thus, I am losing money. With the Flare Dart spell... one Sulphur Powder costs 100gp, therefore each hit must cost me about 10gp (probably less).
If Flare Dart does one fifth of the damage of Lightning, and costs one tenth of the price, then it spreads out at half as expensive.
To kill 100 Mounting Snakes costs 20k, and I am still losing money.

(I'm working this out as I type, and I figure I've lost the case but I'm having a go anyway...)

However! If I spend an hour a day gathering herbs, which is what I do to make money, I am getting 50k a day. This is ten Iron Ores, and so about fifty Iron Powders, with which I could kill 125 Mounting Snakes and get 1.3 skins. Three hours on herbs a day and I would get roughly four skins, and killing the snakes is quick (it's the herb-gathering which takes a while).
So... say, four hours for four skins. Twenty hours, in total, to get the twenty skins you need. Of course, you could spend the 50k on five skins, in which case it'd only take four hours. However, if everyone did this, there'd be no skins left sooner or later.

~and I'm not rich, and I'm not a high level.
Enchilado
thedarkfinder
Novice
Novice

Post by thedarkfinder »

Enchilado! wrote:stuff
The point is that you have to be a mage. You can not be a warrior.

And poison changes everything. In fact I believe that the up grade of the snakes was after the poison, but I could be wrong.

Regardless of that, the question remains, what lvl would you have the character be before they can kill mountian snakes alone.

We have one lvl 70. Any others?
ado
Peon
Peon

Post by ado »

thedarkfinder wrote: We have one lvl 70. Any others?
I used to kill them as level 62-65. But this was before poison, and take me to do a lot of running and dying. It was fun :)
vox populi
Peon
Peon

Post by vox populi »

[Slow Poison Potion]
[Large Healing Potion]
[Concentration Potion]

~these items were made for a reason!
vox populi
thedarkfinder
Novice
Novice

Post by thedarkfinder »

vox populi wrote:[Slow Poison Potion]
[Large Healing Potion]
[Concentration Potion]

vox populi
Unless I am completely wrong. All are extremely expensive. Slow potion is 500
Large healing potion, I beleive can only be created by mage
and concentration potion is expensive, 500.

I guess I am just going to have to mine the snakes to help people get the chaps.
thedarkfinder
Novice
Novice

Post by thedarkfinder »

vox populi wrote:[Slow Poison Potion]
[Large Healing Potion]
[Concentration Potion]

vox populi
Unless I am completely wrong. All are extremely expensive. Slow potion is 500
Large healing potion, I beleive can only be created by mage
and concentration potion is expensive, 500.

I guess I am just going to have to mine the snakes to help people get the chaps.