Prevent item stealing

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The "walking away" rule would be unpracticable for characters whichs combat tactics require them to maintain a distance between them and the target. mages or archers for example will frequently "run away" from their target without being in danger.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Crush wrote:The "walking away" rule would be unpracticable for characters whichs combat tactics require them to maintain a distance between them and the target. mages or archers for example will frequently "run away" from their target without being in danger.
Then make sure that the distance is far enough away so that they are out of range. Or... set up a time limit. If the player does not attack the monster for... 3 seconds, then it becomes fair game. Does that sound better to you? :wink:
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

i see that a time limit of 10 seconds (or something close to that) keeps being mentioned. IMO, i think that is way too short of a time. i would make it like 45 seconds for the owner to pick it up before every one else (parties might be able to pick it up, but that is an exception).
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Dr Wahl wrote:i see that a time limit of 10 seconds (or something close to that) keeps being mentioned. IMO, i think that is way too short of a time. i would make it like 45 seconds for the owner to pick it up before every one else (parties might be able to pick it up, but that is an exception).
I'm talking about after you stop shooting. :wink: So if you want to leave the computer for a while... well... too bad. :wink: 45 seconds seems a bit extravagent... What if some newbie player comes along and begs to take the item? And what if there HAPPENS to be some nice player out there who says yes? Would you want to wait 45 seconds to pick up a maggot slime? Thus, it would be 10 seconds AFTER the player has stopped shooting. Also, look on your computer clock and watch as it ticks for 10 seconds. Pretty long ain't it? Seconds are a tad longer than we think they are....
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

i am currently playing a game that has the exact system for pickups that i am talking about. 45 seconds is a long time, but if you are swarmed by monsters and need/want to kill them all before you collect your goods, 45 seconds becomes much shorter. plus, if a newbie player wants to pick up a drop they didnt earn, 45 seconds really isnt too long. if you wanna try the pickup system i am refering to, go to http://www.silkroadonline.net and try it out. you will see that it is really quite effective.
Succustra
Peon
Peon

Post by Succustra »

I way to determine who gets the kill (and item) could also be whoever got the first hit. Of course it would have to somehow be alerted to the player, so another doesn't continue attacking for nothing.
Fennias Maxim
Peon
Peon

Post by Fennias Maxim »

Its very unfair that everybody can pick up items that monsters dropped which i killed. if there where a owner ID on items, It would be better. if somebody pick up a item which dont belong to him and is seen by another player or NPC he will get a warning. And after the third warning a bounty/fine. This allows user to play as an thief(implement a Sneak-Skill?). I am not against theft in RPGs but Users must have a possibility to fight back.

I have to complain because there are many thieves in game. It is frustrating me. i always must look if some could pick up a item that a monster dropped. This isn' t nice gameplay / feeling.

And please ban "rattler".... :evil:
Joe Pendragon
Peon
Peon

Post by Joe Pendragon »

the 10 seconds rule is nice. The walk away rule can do some trouble, as already metioned, with mages and archers, or even if you're trying to kill a stronger monster and are trying a hit and run method.
Since the mob will target on you after you hit it, I think it would be fair that the one that did the first hit would be the owner.
Of course it could be exploited, but there could be workarounds, like if the monster changes target, the new target is the owner... dunno... anyway, it's just 10 seconds, the idea is to stop people runnig by stealing dropped stuff before the owner had a chance to get it!
as for party, I think that this could be settled as an option by the party creation, there could be an option to randomize who gets what, and an option that every item is of the entire party (who gets first). keeping the 10 second before anyone outside could get the items!
Shade
Peon
Peon

How about

Post by Shade »

How about making a thief (and his party when that gets implemented???) one way agressable for an hour or so until he gets killed. So that anybody can steal your stuff, but the thief gets flagged and can be engaged in PVP by the victim (and his party???). Please note, the thief shouldn't be able to start PVP vs the victim, but only the victim vs. the thief.

That way a thief has to risk sent back to his spawn, but a person can't use it as a method for non-consensual PVP. You run the risk that the thief is a higher level than you, but in that case why would he be stealing your cruddy loot, and the victim would have the luxury of waiting for the thief to get suitably injured first.

To me an eye-for-an-eye system seems more organic than an arbitrary timer. Just a thought.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Thief is one of basic role playing characters. We are not going to prevent item stealing, surely not in this stage of development. If we do, we will post a thread and ask the community for suggestions, untill that happens all threads in this subject will be deleted, except this one, closed and left for reference.

Regards.