Target selection without mouse

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Target selection without mouse

Post by Matt »

Hi,
I dislike the mouse controll system, keyboard only rules ;)

What do you think about a target selection system like Zelda: Orcarina of Time (N64)? In Z:OoT you can select your target with the Z trigger. Every time you press the Z button the selected monster changes. (Of course only monster you can see in the window)
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

yeah that was exactly the idea i had in my head too.
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
medicated
Peon
Peon

Post by medicated »

Attacking with the mouse is not only slow, but hazardous to your character's health. A lot of the time when trying to click with my mouse, I don't click precise enough and walk over to a monster and get hit. Maybe thats just me though.. :?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

That's why you have to wait until tomorrow for the next release (or get CVS version if not already). It will be possible to prevent your player from walking using the left shift key when attacking with bow. We're working on better aiming systems, so don't worry, just wait... :wink:
medicated
Peon
Peon

Post by medicated »

Oooo, fabulous. I'll wait patiently..twiddles thumbs..waiting..waiting...is it done? heh
WellDone
Peon
Peon

Better Aiming System (Attacking with Mouse & Keyboard)

Post by WellDone »

enlarge response area of monsters for mouse
and or use the middle button to attack nearest monster
review attack( keyboard and mouse ) while moving( monster &or character )

the keyboard attack: a second attack mode( attack nearest monster )
please dont erase the current keyboard attack mode( attack in monster in charackter sight )

thanks
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

I like WellDone's idea about using the middle mouse button to set auto target on a monter nearest to the cursor but what about when the cursor is equally close to two monsters or there is a whole mess of monster around? Have it highlight the monster it would select, and have the selected one be the monster the cursor was closest to first? Maybe the primary mouse button should just be used for movement and menus because sometimes when I'm buying items and a monster walks under the ok button when I click it I start attacking. Of course some people don't have three mouse buttons so you could make holding ctrl while clicking the primary button do the same thing as the middle mouse button. It would also be nice to have your character walk to attack distance automagically when you target a monster.
All your base are belong to us.