Map Development Forum

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Bear
Warrior
Warrior

Map Development Forum

Post by Bear »

Maybe having a Map Development forum would help boost moral of the map developers... and ofcourse make it private, so that people cant peek at new maps :o. Otherwise they would know wha tto expect and would get bored of the maps even before they are let out.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

it would but being private wouldnt hype it too much as not many would see it...

theres lots of people out there that map on rpgmaker and all that get some of the good ones interested and would help out with all the maps ... since im sure going to be tons...
Peacemaker
Novice
Novice

Post by Peacemaker »

hi

Yesterday, i tried to work with tiled... it would be nice if there is a official wiki page about map-making-guidelines...

For example:
- suggested mapsize
- tile size
- black map "border"? (i dont know how to call it ;)) how many tiles?
- proportions of walls / players
- "real" Indoor/Outdoor proportions? should the house be as big as the indoor area?
- can i develop the map anywhere on my computer or do I have to use the tmw folderstructur? (to keep the tile references working)
- can i change the tiles references after using it?
- is there a special color for transparency in the tiles?
- reserved layer names? how should i call my "non-walking" layer?
- which layer for which graphics...?
- and so on...

sorry about my english ;)
Peacemaker: Level 58 - STR 60+ / AGI 30 / VIT 36 / INT 5 / DEX 20 / LUK 5 - wiped because of inactivity... :(
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I've added basic guidelines based to your questions here http://wiki.themanaworld.org/Map_development.

Feel free to post any other doubt you have so I can make the guideline more complete.
Peacemaker
Novice
Novice

Post by Peacemaker »

hmm, tiled is not easy but finally after 10 hours (learning+mapping) my first map is nearly finished :)

Download: (EDIT: updated map online)
http://www.rainbowsix.org/temp/tmw/new_9-1.tmx.gz

EDIT: Tiles i missed:
- a ladder
- a cave entrance which matches that tile style
- a ramp or something to go higher...
- an edge with more contrast... (difficult du describe... i'll make a picture if i have time...)
- clouds/fog (at the right buttom of the map, there is a brigde and i want to cover it which cloudes or fog... the brigde should lead to a witch ;) hehe every rpg needs a hidden witch in the mountains :D)

btw. i'll never make such a big map again... i promise,... its to much work :D

Suggestions for Tiled:
- Shortcuts (for example I use Select-Tool and select an area... now Button "F" will fill it, "D" delete it ...)
- a function for sec. mousebutton :) (scrolling by holding the rightbutton would be the best...)
- Scrolling... I'm bored of using the scrollbars :D (-> right mousebutton see above... or/and UP/Down/L/R Buttons...)
- it would be nice if i can drop my favourite tiles in a toolbar or something...
- If i switch the layer, the tiles windows resets there scrolling position and I have to search my favourite tiles again...
- the tiles window seems mixed up after switching the layer?!?
- better zooming... -> zooming always beams me to an other part of the map and not in the middle of the screen.
Last edited by Peacemaker on 25 Aug 2005, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
Peacemaker: Level 58 - STR 60+ / AGI 30 / VIT 36 / INT 5 / DEX 20 / LUK 5 - wiped because of inactivity... :(
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

looks pretty sweet 8)
just a suggestion, since we're short on maps right now, it would be best if you close all exits but one (or maybe two) with an "unfortunate rockslide", which can be easily removed when there are new maps. kinda weird to have something that looks like an exits but you simply can't use it (north-western gate in the village, anyone?)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

ktm wrote:just a suggestion, since we're short on maps right now, it would be best if you close all exits but one (or maybe two) with an "unfortunate rockslide", which can be easily removed when there are new maps.
A shady approach, but I suppose that's the way we're going to do stuff with pseudo content... :?
This message used to be meaningful.
Peacemaker
Novice
Novice

Post by Peacemaker »

ok i finished the map today... all exits are locked... only the entrance in the south is open.

I tested it completely, all layers seems to be correct :) have fun!

Download here:
http://www.rainbowsix.org/temp/tmw/new_9-1.tmx.gz
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

yet again

Post by Bear »

Yet again, even if we havent thought of a way to change map names...Well, i havent had the time to try yet... but please think of a name for it... check my other topic
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Peacemaker wrote:hmm, tiled is not easy but finally after 10 hours (learning+mapping) my first map is nearly finished :)

Suggestions for Tiled:
- Shortcuts (for example I use Select-Tool and select an area... now Button "F" will fill it, "D" delete it ...)
- a function for sec. mousebutton :) (scrolling by holding the rightbutton would be the best...)
- Scrolling... I'm bored of using the scrollbars :D (-> right mousebutton see above... or/and UP/Down/L/R Buttons...)
- it would be nice if i can drop my favourite tiles in a toolbar or something...
- If i switch the layer, the tiles windows resets there scrolling position and I have to search my favourite tiles again...
- the tiles window seems mixed up after switching the layer?!?
- better zooming... -> zooming always beams me to an other part of the map and not in the middle of the screen.
Good job on the map, and thanks a lot for these suggestions, I have noted them down.
Peacemaker
Novice
Novice

Re: yet again

Post by Peacemaker »

thanks,
Bear wrote:Yet again, even if we havent thought of a way to change map names...Well, i havent had the time to try yet... but please think of a name for it... check my other topic
hmm name suggestions:
- tul_mountain_foot_north01.tmx.gz
- tul_mountain_foot01.tmx.gz
- tul_mountain01.tmx.gz

or shorter:
- tul_mnt_foot_n01.tmx.gz
- tul_mnt_foot01.tmx.gz
- tul_mnt01.tmx.gz <- my favourite
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Bear »

actualy i kinda think those are kinda long >.>

Not that thats bad, but i like shorter like..... tul_mt_ft01 >.>
largedopantwhite
Peon
Peon

Post by largedopantwhite »

A suggestion for Tiled- perhaps have a plugin for it that allows you to place NPCs, monsters, etc, in Tiled itself. Wouldn't be useful unless it can export it as the right NPC (they're in txt, last I checked).
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

BTW is this map going to be included in a release? I think it should go in if it's not already on a todo list for some release.
This message used to be meaningful.
Peacemaker
Novice
Novice

Post by Peacemaker »

months later ... ;)?

I have the same question...
Rotonen wrote:BTW is this map going to be included in a release?