Page 1 of 2

Wiki

Posted: 09 Dec 2009, 19:25
by Luca1189
Is it possible to add some domains to the wiki, to switch the wiki language? I'm italian and i'm a user of an italian forum where there are some pages of wiki translated, it would be better if it becomes part of the official wiki of TMW.

Re: Wiki

Posted: 09 Dec 2009, 19:26
by Kage
Luca1189 wrote:Is it possible to add some domains to the wiki, to switch the wiki language? I'm italian and i'm a user of an italian forum where there are some pages of wiki translated, it would be better if it becomes part of the official wiki of TMW.
TMW's wiki really needs a good clean up anyways

Re: Wiki

Posted: 09 Dec 2009, 19:30
by Luca1189
Oh...but it's difficult to understand what should be removed or not! ...and i don't know a way to see a list of all the wiki pages created, and you?

Re: Wiki

Posted: 09 Dec 2009, 19:56
by Crush
I doubt that it makes sense at the moment to start an initiative to translate the wiki into other languages. The TMW community is currently not even motivated enough to maintain the english version .
Luca1189 wrote:Oh...but it's difficult to understand what should be removed or not! ...and i don't know a way to see a list of all the wiki pages created, and you?
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Special:AllPages
The link is in the "Special Pages" section.

Re: Wiki

Posted: 09 Dec 2009, 19:58
by Crush
Regarding the general shape of the wiki: I am currently seeing the following big ToDos:

-Move all technical articles to http://wiki.manasource.org (important!)
-Continue with the world design articles (should not be done before talking about the changes on IRC)
-Keep the item database up to date
-Document already mapped ingame locations properly
-Create a better quest database

Any members of the TMW community who would like to get more involved with building the wiki are more than welcome. I've seen some really great wikis for online games with clever navigation and very detailed content solely driven by the community.

Good examples what a motivated community can make out of a wiki are the wikis for Kingdom of Loathing or Urban Dead:
http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Main_Page
http://wiki.urbandead.com/ (seems to be down atm)

I would be very happy when it would work that well in the TMW community too.

Re: Wiki

Posted: 09 Dec 2009, 20:39
by Luca1189

Re: Wiki

Posted: 09 Dec 2009, 21:03
by Crush
jup
Any articles marked as "outdated" are usually not worth moving, but the others are definitely some of those which need to be moved.
This one needs to stay here because the technical aspects can be realized as LUA scripts and thus are in the responsibility of TMW and not Manasource. I know, this distinction is hard to make for someone not involved into development. When in doubt if an article has to be moved ask a developer.
Do you need this check job of the pages? ...and is really needed pages like http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Auldsbel and http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Wyara ???
These stubs have potential for expansion, in my opinion. Key NPCs like those should have detailed descriptions what exactly they are doing.

Re: Wiki

Posted: 09 Dec 2009, 21:35
by Jaxad0127
Probably needs to be split between the two wikis, as we plan on not having fixed attributes in mana.

Re: Wiki

Posted: 10 Dec 2009, 03:21
by Luca1189
Now I have done a first list of the wiki pages, tomorrow I'll finish my work if I'm able to ;)
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... Wiki_pages

Re: Wiki

Posted: 10 Dec 2009, 17:26
by Luca1189
I've finished! I hope someone use my work to clean the wiki (http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... s_pages.3F), and to move some pages to manasource(http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... #System.3F).

Re: Wiki

Posted: 11 Dec 2009, 00:47
by Luca1189
Here you are, another proposal! I changed a bit the main page in this way... http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... /Main_Page
Do you like it? ...something would change, but it's a first look of my new work! ;)

Re: Wiki

Posted: 11 Dec 2009, 15:21
by Bertram
Hi Luca,

Oh, it's been nice cleaning work!
I also like the kinda refreshing new presentation :)

The last thing I can see is that some links still there are reserved for ManaServ, and some other for eAthena (the current server type).

I'm sure that making the differences clear between these two projects for both users and developpers section would greatly help.
What do you (all) think?

Best regards and thanks again.

Re: Wiki

Posted: 11 Dec 2009, 17:24
by Jaxad0127
Bertram wrote:Hi Luca,

Oh, it's been nice cleaning work!
I also like the kinda refreshing new presentation :)

The last thing I can see is that some links still there are reserved for ManaServ, and some other for eAthena (the current server type).

I'm sure that making the differences clear between these two projects for both users and developpers section would greatly help.
What do you (all) think?

Best regards and thanks again.
Most ManaServ stuff should be moved to ManaSource.

Re: Wiki

Posted: 11 Dec 2009, 17:54
by Crush
Thanks for your work so far, Luca, but can you please try to use the preview feature of the wiki instead of creating multiple versions of articles during a few minutes? That way the wiki history stays much more readable.

Re: Wiki

Posted: 11 Dec 2009, 20:53
by Luca1189
Bertram wrote:Oh, it's been nice cleaning work!
I also like the kinda refreshing new presentation :)
New presentation? I don't understand, sorry! (I'm Italian)
The last thing I can see is that some links still there are reserved for ManaServ, and some other for eAthena (the current server type).

I'm sure that making the differences clear between these two projects for both users and developpers section would greatly help.
What do you (all) think?
I'm not a developer, and I've not made differences, if you want do it for me. ;) (or i will do it in the future)
Crush wrote:Thanks for your work so far, Luca, but can you please try to use the preview feature of the wiki instead of creating multiple versions of articles during a few minutes? That way the wiki history stays much more readable.
Sorry for that, it was my first time working on a wiki, I'll do as you say! ;)