I have been playing for a week.

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

jdodson
Peon
Peon

Post by jdodson »

amen nym. seriously thats what i was trying to say all along. some quests need to be done without fighting. i know bosses are cool(please put them in game). but dont make a letter quest a boss quest. make a boss quest a boss quest. something like

"hey a huge rat is in my cellar, kill it please." kinda generic, but you get the idea.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

elvenprogrammer wrote:Yeah I agree with your post nym.
Eventhough SoM did the exact oposite by being total hack 'n slash? (I don't mind atm though)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Modanung wrote:Eventhough SoM did the exact oposite by being total hack 'n slash? (I don't mind atm though)
SoM wasn't more or less hack 'n' slay than most other RPGs in its era.

about the opportunity to give the players posibilities to let his character do peaceful tasks: many modern MMORPGs do but most fail at it. while the importance of fighting and non-fighting activities ist often well balanced in terms of time consumption and importance for the game system, it is very poorly balanced in terms of entertainment. while advancing your character in fighting skills ist very exciting and entertaining, the development of crafting and trade skills is usualy a very long and boring process involving walking the same paths and klicking the same buttons over and over again in a mechanical manner for hours and hours.

so when we give the player peaceful skills, then we should make sure that forging a powerful magic sword is as challenging and exciting as slaying a dragon.
Last edited by Crush on 04 Sep 2005, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

*The art section bows*

Thank you.

By the way, I thought we weren't going to have exp per se and were going to have a skill based system instead. :roll:
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

oh, and while we speak of it: please don't make it as it is made in many other games where players forge hundreds of bronze daggers just to throw them away or selling them for some coins to the npc where they disappear until they got enough forging skill to create really good weapons. the creation of items should not only be made just to gain exp. even low level forgers should feel that what they do is important for the ingame economy and that every single sword they forge will have an important purpose.

solution: make people not only buy equipment once, make them consume weapons and armors. so the fighting players need a constant flow of new equipment from the crafting players. we could do that by making weapons and armors breakable. players could be able to repair equipment which is very difficult to get or might have an ideal value for them (maybe by specialized characters, too), but the more often a weapon got repaired the more difficult it should be to repair it again and the faster it will break again. so everyone will come to the point were he thinks about replacing his old equip by new one of exactly the same type. rare magical items should have a much higher stability than regular weapons. would be sadistic to find a ultra-rare one-in-hunderd-years boss drop just to break ist after a few days.