fatigue system.

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

skeptisk
Peon
Peon

fatigue system.

Post by skeptisk »

although tmw, in this early stage, is only mildly addictive, more developed mmorpgs can be highly addictive.

this is a real problem.

so maybe it's time to start to think about some kind of fatigue system so that playing 24/7 gets less rewarding, and thus the game gets less addictive.

on-line game addiction is a serious issue.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

wouldnt people making the game want people addicted to it to know they did well?
skeptisk
Peon
Peon

Post by skeptisk »

actually, I think it's a serious issue.

also some kind of system where xp gain decreases if playing too much helps balance game between hardcore 18 hours/day gamers and casual players only playing 2-3 hours/day.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

well, we could help the players to form self-help groups to get rid of their tmw addiction...

i don't like a fatigue system which slows down the powergamers. but to help the people with less freetime, we could give people something for free for the total time their character exists regardles if it is online or not. then the ofline time wouldn't feel that "wasted". i thought about some free distributeable points in the new character stat system or something like that.

this could also make people come back when they stopped playing some time ago when they think about how many "free stuff points" their chars must have received in the meantime.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Crush wrote:i thought about some free distributeable points in the new character stat system or something like that..
Problem with that is, once the new server comes up, we won't be using a "distributed points" system anymore; skills and stats will be individually levelled up through use.

I'm also kind of iffy about the concept of a fatigue system. I mean, I generally support slowing the power gamers down (particularly sine we'll have PvP), but I think that's a bit of a heavy-handed way to do it. Besides, what if someone's playing for a long time, but mostly doing roleplaying, trading, noncombat questing and the like? Then they go to kill some stuff, and they aren't getting any exp for it.

Personally, I say, if people get addicted, great; that's a sign we've done it right, and a TMW addiction is a lot less harmful than an addiction to a for-pay MMO.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Talaroc wrote:Problem with that is, once the new server comes up, we won't be using a "distributed points" system anymore; skills and stats will be individually levelled up through use.
i know that you are going to use a learning-by-doing stat system. i thought the "time points" could be used to give single stats or talents an additional boost. you could think about this as "wisdom of life experience". or that the character is reading books or lifting weights while the palyer isn't online.

hmmm... speaking of life experience, the life experience could be an additional stat which is just raised by the existence of the char.
skeptisk
Peon
Peon

Post by skeptisk »

a mildly realistic take on it could be like if you've been out swordfighting for hours on end you'd get quite a sore sword arm, I guess.

so maybe temp stat-decreases.

(maybe it'll suck gamewise I don't know. I just think it's really important to encourage moderate gaming. I know I've been sucked inte mmorpgs in a really unhealthy way myself to the point where I neglected my social life totally) :(
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

wouldnt people making the game want people addicted to it to know they did well?[/quote]
I think this is true, we shouldnt worry about players being too addictive to the game >.> its their fault for not setting boreders for themselves.

Also, one system would be *stamina* you have a stamina bar, and almost everything you do takes a little bit, and you need to rest somewhere / sleep/ sit somewhere to regain them
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

skeptisk wrote:a mildly realistic take on it could be like if you've been out swordfighting for hours on end you'd get quite a sore sword arm, I guess.

so maybe temp stat-decreases.

(maybe it'll suck gamewise I don't know. I just think it's really important to encourage moderate gaming. I know I've been sucked inte mmorpgs in a really unhealthy way myself to the point where I neglected my social life totally) :(
Sorry about that,bbut i'm sure you had worse problems than games and being addicted was a way of expressing that situation or a way of scaping reality... A computer game may produce psichical addiction, but never physical addiction. There has to be another problem behind it...
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
xand
Novice
Novice

Post by xand »

I agree with skeptisk that he's getting a point.
This can really be a problem for Players if they get too
addicted or prefer gaming to real-life....
And it's a good question for responsibility.

Sure everyone is responsible for his/her own life,
but there is also a responsibility of those who create something.
(Thinking of Software/Game programmers here)

When I try to create interesting new scripts I ask myself if I
maybe encourage people too much to play a game...
And maybe if I do a good job, I hold a responsibility
for the Players that do what I told the server to say,
and spend hours on it.

And honestly thats one reason why I don't know If I should
write scripts for tmw... The other reason is time, of course :D
(Altough I have some concepts in my mind that would be intereting imho)

But it's fun writing a script and if the script works good it's more fun...
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

The fatigue-system could be used to stimulate variety in gaming behaviour.
Non-stop fighting for a long time would cause temporal penalties, so people will do other things for a moment or two.
Like sitting down and chitchatting, playing cards, sell their stuff or go afk for a while. Gamers that don't want to interupt their fighting business will drink a stamina/cafeine potion or stay at the inn, either way they pay for stamina recovery.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

pubs are usually very unpopulated in mmorpgs and thats sad. you can relax from adventuring much better in a pub then on the street. so the recovery rate should be higher while sitting in pubs.

buying yourself a drink could even speed it up more. but only inside of the pub. you usually don't buy ten beer at a pub and then you leave the pub and drink the beer later while doing something else.

i thought about double regeneration in a pub and quadruple regeneration for 5 minutes in it after you bought a beer.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Ok, now, if it's a system with in-game regeneration when you aren't killing things, that I support.

As well as the ideas for faster regen in pubs and things, that would be fun.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Let's get back to this subject after we have a game instead of a pre-alpha tech demo graphics test platform..? :roll:
This message used to be meaningful.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Rotonen wrote:Let's get back to this subject after we have a game instead of a pre-alpha tech demo graphics test platform..? :roll:
I don't see a problem with come across with this beforehand, this is the suggestion/feedback subforum
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.